CX-70 will have same exterior dimensions as CX-90

Feeling a little better about the CX-70 now that Car and Driver updated their CX-70 page based on an October 2023 interview Mazda NA CEO Tom Donnelly gave to Automotive News. The take is that it will be a wider version of the CX-60 with a shorter wheelbase than the CX-90 (indicating it will be shorter overall, and lighter) with similar engine/transmission offerings.

The only real negative is it is likely to keep the idiotic 8" ground clearance of the CX-90. SMH 98% of these will never see more off road than a grass or gravel parking lot.

We shall see.

Feeling a little better about the CX-70 now that Car and Driver updated their CX-70 page based on an October 2023 interview Mazda NA CEO Tom Donnelly gave to Automotive News. The take is that it will be a wider version of the CX-60 with a shorter wheelbase than the CX-90 (indicating it will be shorter overall, and lighter) with similar engine/transmission offerings.

The only real negative is it is likely to keep the idiotic 8" ground clearance of the CX-90. SMH 98% of these will never see more off road than a grass or gravel parking lot.

We shall see.
Very encouraging news. I have been anticipating the CX70 for quite a while and hoping they release a teaser or something to get me through to when they arrive on the lots next year. I love my '22 CX5 but I am ready for something different (I've had a few CX5s).

Mazda should also make a truck out of this rear drive platform...
I literally just got a truck and would be right there with a deposit if Mazda made one. Unfortunately, my CX9 will be a trade in so my time here might be limited...here until delivery at any rate.

But with the CX70 news, maybe I'll be back! I got tired of waiting so got a Blazer in the spring, 308 HP and torque vectoring hooked me in (and also being available now). But if the CX70 can sort out the kinks of the 90, it would potentially be a much more luxurious and more powerful competitor to my Blazer...

I literally just got a truck and would be right there with a deposit if Mazda made one. Unfortunately, my CX9 will be a trade in so my time here might be limited...here until delivery at any rate.

But with the CX70 news, maybe I'll be back! I got tired of waiting so got a Blazer in the spring, 308 HP and torque vectoring hooked me in (and also being available now). But if the CX70 can sort out the kinks of the 90, it would potentially be a much more luxurious and more powerful competitor to my Blazer...
I don't want to sound harsh, but tbh you would have been better with a cx90 first model year than a chevy blazer :)

I don't want to sound harsh, but tbh you would have been better with a cx90 first model year than a chevy blazer :)
It's not harsh, I can take it! Trust me, no one was more surprised than me when I signed. Truth is, I didn't need the size of my CX9 when I got it, use it as a 5 seater. It was more a two vehicle combo thing, I knew I'd need a truck to tow so pairing that with a 7 seater doesn't work. One of us commutes right into DT toronto, so the Blazer is better sized for it.

I had looked at the Q5 but it was a bit more $ and they seem to be having issues with their engine so I was spooked.

I don't tend to keep things very long so I was willing to take a chance. The thing really can drive, got that nice naturally aspirated character to the 6 cyl and the rear will rotate around under throttle in turns. Heavy steering though, but it weights up nicely at speed so that sort of balance comes with the driving dynamics.

The one that would make me possibly regret is the CX70, not the 90. It's more right sized for us and has potential to also have great handling. But I can always trade the Blazer in, say in 2026 and I'd be more comfortable with the engineering at that point.

It's not harsh, I can take it! Trust me, no one was more surprised than me when I signed. Truth is, I didn't need the size of my CX9 when I got it, use it as a 5 seater. It was more a two vehicle combo thing, I knew I'd need a truck to tow so pairing that with a 7 seater doesn't work. One of us commutes right into DT toronto, so the Blazer is better sized for it.

I had looked at the Q5 but it was a bit more $ and they seem to be having issues with their engine so I was spooked.

I don't tend to keep things very long so I was willing to take a chance. The thing really can drive, got that nice naturally aspirated character to the 6 cyl and the rear will rotate around under throttle in turns. Heavy steering though, but it weights up nicely at speed so that sort of balance comes with the driving dynamics.

The one that would make me possibly regret is the CX70, not the 90. It's more right sized for us and has potential to also have great handling. But I can always trade the Blazer in, say in 2026 and I'd be more comfortable with the engineering at that point.
Fair enough. Hope it will serve you well!

Exactly. The CX-70 should have come first. Of the 2-row/3-row pairs, the only make where the 3 row out sells the 2 row is Acura. They sell about 30% more MDX than RDX. Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, BMW, MB...they all sell more 2 rows than 3 rows.

Exactly. The CX-70 should have come first. Of the 2-row/3-row pairs, the only make where the 3 row out sells the 2 row is Acura. They sell about 30% more MDX than RDX. Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, BMW, MB...they all sell more 2 rows than 3 rows.
With the "premium" ambitions of Mazda, it would almost make some sense that they were expecting similar sales of the 90 versus the 70 like Acura was seeing with the MDX/RDX. I think they are making some good money off the 90, which is great news for them! I don't know what their margins are but I am guessing they are higher on the 90, hence why they are prolonging the 70.

I wonder if the 70 will have captain seat option like the 90?

It's taking all my self control to wait for the 70...if my dealer put together a good deal on a CX90, I'd probably bite.

With the "premium" ambitions of Mazda, it would almost make some sense that they were expecting similar sales of the 90 versus the 70 like Acura was seeing with the MDX/RDX. I think they are making some good money off the 90, which is great news for them! I don't know what their margins are but I am guessing they are higher on the 90, hence why they are prolonging the 70.

I wonder if the 70 will have captain seat option like the CX-90?
I think having the sub compact CX-30, and 2 compacts (CX-5 and CX-50) 2-rows it does make at least some sense releasing the CX-90 first. The CX-90 seems to be selling better than the CX-9 but not anywhere near what the CX-5/CX-50 does.

Mazda year to date sales.png

Captains chairs in the back would turn it into a 4 passenger vehicle, but I think there are people that would like that option. Who knows?

Captains chairs in the back would turn it into a 4 passenger vehicle, but I think there are people that would like that option. Who knows?
Exactly. I know most people would want the bench but my family situation only has the two of us using this, so a 4-seater would be unique. I doubt that would happen....hence why I am even considering the cx-90. A 4-seater with lots of cargo room would kind of cool!

Back from my dealer today. It seems that cx70 will be at the dealers somewhere around march-april 2024. It seems that there is a cx70 "tucked away" already at Mazda Canada HQ and people got to see it. Its basically cx90 with 5 seats, everything else is identical. Price wise they were speculating that it might be max $1500 lower.
If this is going to end up being true that will be a big mistake. Nobody wants such a long car no matter how much space it has.

That’s typical dealer bs. If there was such a beast ready for production somehow it would have been leaked months ago.

That’s typical dealer bs. If there was such a beast ready for production somehow it would have been leaked months ago.
this picture is floating around
uvGPrNq.jpg

The rear pillar has a different shape than the CX90.

Mazda previously told dealers that they expect 75/25 split between the CX-90/70. So that is why they started with the CX-90. They felt the CX-90 would be the volume seller.

It's not actually bs. The design has been known for more than a year. In fact when they presented the CX90 internally, the showed the CX70 as well, hence I think it is around ready to be produced.
Mazda previously told dealers that they expect 75/25 split between the CX-90/70. So that is why they started with the CX-90. They felt the CX-90 would be the volume seller.
That would be really dumb strategy. If you look around the forums and youtube comments, everyone waits for CX70 as they don't need 3 rows, especially when you get less for more money. By less I am talking about captain chairs on 2nd row.

It's not actually bs. The design has been known for more than a year. In fact when they presented the CX90 internally, the showed the CX70 as well, hence I think it is around ready to be produced.

That would be really dumb strategy. If you look around the forums and youtube comments, everyone waits for CX70 as they don't need 3 rows, especially when you get less for more money. By less I am talking about captain chairs on 2nd row.
If the cx-70 is basically the same size as the CX-90, then the CX-70 will be close to the cost of the CX-90 and most people will just get the CX-90. The most disappointing result of a large CX-70 is that the CX-70 PHEV won’t have much better electric range, as there will be little difference in the weight between the CX-70 and the CX-90.

If the cx-70 is basically the same size as the CX-90, then the CX-70 will be close to the cost of the CX-90 and most people will just get the CX-90. The most disappointing result of a large CX-70 is that the CX-70 PHEV won’t have much better electric range, as there will be little difference in the weight between the CX-70 and the CX-90.
Totally agree with you, however why bother creating and branding 2 products, when they are basically identical. Why not produce 1 model that can come in 5, or 7/8 passenger configuration. I have no exp in car planning/configuration and manufacturing but it shouldn't be too hard.

If the CX-70 is a full-size barge (Minivan size as the CX-90, 202") with 5 seats, then yes, the CX-90 will outsell it by a lot. If, however, it is a midsize (193" and the reduced weight that goes with it) then it will outsell the CX-90 even with the CX-5 and CX-50. If they pull stupid and do a CX-90 with 5 seats they will have missed the market. If, however, they do a wider CX-60, it will sell well.

If the CX-70 is a full-size barge (Minivan size as the CX-90, 202") with 5 seats, then yes, the CX-90 will outsell it by a lot. If, however, it is a midsize (193" and the reduced weight that goes with it) then it will outsell the CX-90 even with the CX-5 and CX-50. If they pull stupid and do a CX-90 with 5 seats they will have missed the market. If, however, they do a wider CX-60, it will sell well.
My guess is that they felt the difference in price between the CX-90 and a wider CX-60 would not be that great as the costs for the drivetrain/battery is the bulk of the total cost. A CX-70 on the same platform as the CX-90 would allow them to share costs.

Back