CX-7 warranty repair #1, after 2 weeks of owning

RaiderMS3

Contributor
:
2007 MS3 GT
Got the CX-7 2 weeks ago today. A week ago, some sales guy wanted me to take the car in for a free "evaulation". Check plugs, all the options, make sure all is well. It is a first year car, so they are offering the service at no charge. Having bad flashbacks to 3 years ago, when they slapped a f-ing decal on my aftermarket intake on my protege5, I told the guy that they will never touch my CX-7, except for any defects. EDIT: I found the original thread about the sticker. Same service manager now, still. Here it is:
www.msprotege.com/vbb230/showthread.php?t=68764

Yesterday, I get a call from the service advisor stating the final vehicle inspection was never performed, and that it takes 30 minutes. It "must" be performed. Reluctantly, we went in last night to have it donw. 30 minutes later, we left.

Fast forward to tonight. Leaving dinner, my wife puts it in reverse, and we notice, no camera. It warns to check surroundings, but the rest is static. Grrrr. Pissed off, we go straight to the local dealer. I pull in, all bay doors are closed. I walk in the service shop, some apathetic guy is sitting there reading the paper. He asked to help me, I told him the camera is now broken after their final vehicle inspection. He ******* tells me that he did not touch it, that all he did is keep the car at a set RPM for a certain period of time. I call him a liar, and said there is a checklist of stuff he checked, and that is one of them. Of course, at 6 PM, no techs at all, so we have to leave our car.

We leave our loaded CX-7, and drive home in a beat up, filthy 6 wagon POS. I know now, I will not get one of those things, my P5 is nicer!.

Not sure what happened overnight after the dealer touched our car, but I totally blame them. 14 days, defect #1. Not too good for a brand new car. The least they could have done is have a vehicle of equal value and quality.

Oh, to top it off, if we do not fill up that loaner car to the top, we get charged $35!!! We just filled up our CX-7, and have it at the dealer for a defect, and they have nothing to compensate for our waste of time.

Sorry for the rant, I am just frustrated at the total apathetic treatment by the guy in service.

I will update what was wrong with the car as soon as I find out.

Last edited:
I feel your pain. I've never had a good experience taking my car to a dealer. There always seems to be a negative.

Took mine in for a check engine light, and stood waiting 25 minutes for the head mechanic to come back from a break. Only to be told that even though I had an appointment, it would be another 3 hours before they could look at it.

I am going to call corporate tomorrow and file a complaint if I get the same attitude tomorrow.

OK, I am going to go have a beer.

Sounds like your Mazda dealer or at least the service department sucks! Thus far, I'm quite please with mine. Course I haven't had to take it to the service department yet though.

I am sure every other dealer in the USA is better than the service at this one. I almost pummelled the service manager who ok's slapping the sticker on my short ram intake.

Sorry to say, but this is only the beginning of years of bad Mazda service. I've had my RX-8 for 3 years and tried out 3 different service departments in the area. I haven't found a good one yet.

RaiderMP5 said:
I am going to call corporate tomorrow and file a complaint if I get the same attitude tomorrow.

OK, I am going to go have a beer.

dude, ive had a few beers, and it sounds like you have already had a few beers :)
it is a new vehicle. it just may be some quirk that they didnt cause. its still fast isnt it :) my dealer is quick to look @ issues. tell them your going to another dealer!!! and write to Noth American Opperations a.s.ap.(enguard)

Actually, I had only 1 beer.

The local dealer could not give a rats ass if I left. I wonder if I buy xxxmazdasucks.com just to host a site about how they treat people like crap means they might possibly care, and then host stories from other people who had a bad experience there.

Yes, it is a new car, and there might be quirks. But the fact is, everything was fine until they touched it, and the don't-give-a-**** attitude is not acceptible.

Fear not, Mazda NA will get a call tomorrow morning about this mess.

The good news in all this, is that my p5 is not gonna be sold for a 6 like I planned. I was thinking of the 6 wagon, but from the CX-7 to that was huge.

Raider, I'm very interested in your opinions of 6 wagon vs cx-7 since that's exactly the debate that I've been running through my mind since both came out.

Would you mind elaborating on your thoughts?

This is why I am done with Mazda. I just can't trust them or there incredibly large collection of useless dealerships. The blown engine in a bone stock protege at 60,000 miles was enough to teach me that lesson. Then the busted TB on my 6 in 10,000 miles just backed up my feelings. Thank god I didnt get an intake since we know they never would have done a warrenty repair if a CP-E was in there.

Thats why I am sporting the Tundra now.

I am a big guy, and felt like my p5 was even bigger up front. In the 6 wagon, my knees hit the center console, with seat all the way back. Details and fit/finish were like that of an older car, but this one is almost new. The ride is blah, my grandmother's 1980 Mitsubishi Mirage with and automatic transmission accellerates smoother and probably quicker. The only cool thing. Polished gauge rings.

CX-7, bigger, more room. turbo=more power to accellerate. Suspension in the CX-7 feels sporty, corners like a sports car. The 6 wagon, well, it is like a wagon.

Oh, and I checked, and no navigation options for the 6 wagon from the stealer. Yeah, aftermarket, but damn, 30 grand means it better have it.

I will hold onto my p5 for a while. I am contemplating a CX-7 formyself, or at least I was, until the littlest of things stopped working to throw me into a tirade of curses at the local dealer. I wish we had better service like the AVV dealers on here. Everyone seems to like them. But here in my town....nooooo. I gotta deal with crap.

1sty said:
This is why I am done with Mazda. I just can't trust them or there incredibly large collection of useless dealerships. The blown engine in a bone stock protege at 60,000 miles was enough to teach me that lesson. Then the busted TB on my 6 in 10,000 miles just backed up my feelings. Thank god I didnt get an intake since we know they never would have done a warrenty repair if a CP-E was in there.

Thats why I am sporting the Tundra now.

1 trip to the Mazda dealer for a defect is not a problem. The 30 plus trips in a single year to the local hick town GMC dealer with my 1 year old GMC Sonoma from hell, with 17 repairs for "seats sliding into the dash when stopping" is rediculous. It was a used car when I got it, so lemon law does not apply. So after the warranty expired, the dealer told me they were not covering the repair anymore. It was traded in for my P5 and a B3000. We got the CX-7 and traded in the B3000 because of a future family, and the truck needed tires. They already sold the truck.

So if it is a rare thing to go in, that is ok. But after only 2 weeks, I am worried I will be there a lot. At least there is the lemon law to help if needed.

I want a better, more service oriented dealer.

It sounds like a dealer-specific problem. Here we have a small Mazda dealership that doesn't move many cars. As a consequence, they never have what I want, and have refused to qualify as a Mazdaspeed dealership. The result (now for the second time) is that I've bought my Mazda at a different dealership and brought it here for service. In spite of it being an "alien" car, the service has always been excellent. Perhaps it's because we communicate exceptionally well.

Well, I got the call. The camera went bad and needs to be replace. The bad news, 3 (three) weeks to get one. so we pick it up today, and then wait for them to call when it is in stock. I am checking with onlinemazdaparts.com to see if they have it, so I can have the dealer get it quicker.

At least we can get our car back.

Car is home for now, with a camera on order. The apathetic guy was not there, but one of the head honchos was. he was extremely apologetic, and for once I was treated with decent service. We are so glad to have the CX back. So much nicer, smoother, etc.

I am hoping that in 3 weeks, we will just get a CX-7 loaner, as damn, that 6 wagon was a dog.

the "final quality inspection" MUST be done per mazda and they will have to take record of that... so there's a checklist of s*** to do like making sure the battery is good, battery connections tight, 93 octane gas filled up, all fluids filled up, auto function of the power windows work, etc... the MAIN thing of the FQI is the "spark plug defouling" proceedure which involves keeping the engine reved up at 4000rpm for 2 mins... the FQI was created because some of the very early CX-7s sold had cold start issues (such as a flooded engine)

this SHOULD'VE been done during PDI *before* the car was delivered, but it doesn't seem like dealerships are following that requirement

it is really easy to do and does take only 30 mins.... in fact it only pays 0.3 hours

there should be NO reason at all that they touched the reverse camera or any of the navi/radio system

Last edited:
My question is, since we bough the car with 700 miles on it, and took it in with over 1000, Isn't that rev procedure kind of late?

They did run the navigation system through tests,it was on the checklist of things they molested.

Well, since I did not get a call from the local dealer, I had to call them. Was told by the service manager he had to ask parts, but since I called after 5 pm, it would be the next day. The next day came and went. Called, he said he needed to hear back. no call back after 4 hours, I called. On hold for 5 minutes, he tells me they were billed for the camera, but did not know where it was! Grr. Of course, magically, it arrived the same day from UPS, surprise! We got a new 5 loaner that was a lot nicer than the old loaner. Got it tonight, working again. But boy, that service manager is a douche! I was offered a free oil change if I fill out all positive on the survey. I hated to tell the manager, that they are not going to toucht he cx-7, and I will fill out the questionairre honestly, how an owner of a car for 2 weeks had the camera toast 24 hours after they molested the car, then made me wait 3 weeks for a new one, not call me, but make me check up on them until the fesed up they got it. The service manager is really the lowest part of our trip there. He is truly not meant to work with the public, and his apathy makes this dealer who wants to be a volume dealer, remind me of the small town dealer that we walked out of 4 years ago. God, I just hope we can avoid them from now on.

well, don't go to that ******* dealershit again.... they're NOT supposed to even **** with the navi or the camera s*** during FQI... it's NOT even in the checklist! what I told you that's to be looked over during FQI is pretty much what's on the checklist

unfortunately, they are the only one for 45 miles. We really should not have to worry about a dealer screwing up the car. Thatis why I hesitated to bring it to them to begin with! We just need to move closer to better dealers, I guess. They are not touching the car ever again, except for warranty repair, I can guarantee that.

And as far as the checkist, it was left in the car originally, and is now missing, included the check mark next to how they should be inspecting the navigation and rear camera if applicable.

And as I asked above, after 800 miles, that 3K idle test they do seems too little too late, don't you think? The car was used by the owner, as we found his kid's stuffed animal crammed behind the back seat armrest..

Latest posts

Back