CX-7 Reviews

singlemalt_18 said:
Thanks for posting... Yes, I am a proud and happy CX-7 owner, and I have not driven the RDX or the RAV, but I get the impression that Mazda & their new CX-7 is simply "persona non-grata" at this meeting. Some of the author's comments seem to be strenuously biased... both against the CX-7 and in "rooting" for the others. Anytime opinion is introduced, its seems that "something is just not right" or "it simply fell short". Or is it just me? Did the article fail to mention that the Mazda is DISI?

IMHO the stats, the style, the performance, AND THE PRICE, could put the CX-7 at the top of the Consumer Reports list. It appears the RDX's braking numbers are not even in class - what good is a vehicle that can go faster if you can't stop it?

Does anyone ever test these things with the weight of 4 adults & full cargo? I would bet that the CX-7, with its longer & wider wheelbase, and its low-end friendly turbo, would maintain its specs more than the others - just a guess.

Good read though - again thanks!

im totally agree with you!!! Did you notice that motortrend always make honda/acura the cars of the year
example: 2006 civic the ms3 will kill it all the way
honda rigdeline
acura rdx etc.........

spike blue said:
im totally agree with you!!! Did you notice that motortrend always make honda/acura the cars of the year
example: 2006 civic the ms3 will kill it all the way
honda rigdeline
acura rdx etc.........

Welcome to the world of Hondatrend magazine. Funny how the CX-7 they last tested ran .84g's on the skidpad, stopped from 60 mph in 115', and did 0-60 in 7.9sec.

I'm trying to figure out how the Honda RDX weighs the same, has 4 less HP, makes the same torque but 2000 RPM higher and has a an inferior transmission is a 1/2 sec faster? Doesn't add up for me.

I'm also convinced that the RAV4's that Toyota are giving to the journalist are ringers. I believe it's a touch quicker than the CX-7, but there's no way it does 0-60 in 6.3sec.

Mazda3 said:
Welcome to the world of Hondatrend magazine. Funny how the CX-7 they last tested ran .84g's on the skidpad, stopped from 60 mph in 115', and did 0-60 in 7.9sec.

I'm trying to figure out how the Honda RDX weighs the same, has 4 less HP, makes the same torque but 2000 RPM higher and has a an inferior transmission is a 1/2 sec faster? Doesn't add up for me.

I'm also convinced that the RAV4's that Toyota are giving to the journalist are ringers. I believe it's a touch quicker than the CX-7, but there's no way it does 0-60 in 6.3sec.

i know that thats is totally:bs: !!!

The October Smart Money has their annual car review. Although they don't include new models in their rankings, they make some fairly bold comments:

"Our Take; Despite the look, speed isn't the CX-7's forte. Its engine feels peppy off the line, but it doesn't post the fastest 0 - 60 time around. Where it does shine is in handling; cornering is especially agile. But the Cx-7 come quite close to the Infinity FX in the "thrill-to-drive" department - and at a much lower sticker price."

They are setting a high bar comparing it to the FX! Overall, its quite a compliment... but everybody seems to bet hung up on this 0 - 60 thing...

I don't like that review...and it's just one more opinion I guess. They seem to not like the design at all and for the price this car rocks!

Consumer Reports Disappoints!

Submitted for your disbelief.
I just pulled this off of the CR website. I get the impression they quickly parroted alot of the mainstream commentary, and DID NOT spend much time actually driving the CX-7. I've got almost 4,000 miles on mine by now, and I'm beginning to think that some of this engine & powertrain stuff has simply become folklore within the auto opinion world.

"Initial impressions: The Mazda CX-7 may have a sporty character and contemporary styling, but it failed to impress us overall. (shocked) We do like the handling and distinct exterior design, but the power delivery, road noise, and interior packaging are critical weaknesses.

The sole powertrain offering is a 244-hp four-cylinder rather than a smooth V6, as in competing models. The unusual choice of a small-displacement, turbo engine in a midsized SUV results in unpleasant lulls and surges in the power delivery. The engine wakes up slowly from idling at a standstill, with a long second or two of turbo lag before the power kicks in under throttle. When merging onto a highway or accelerating from a rolling stop, the driver experiences a disconcerting pause, after which the acceleration comes on abruptly--often too strong for the desired response. Once underway, midrange performance is ample, but there is no escaping the four-cylinder's raspy nature. This direct-injection engine requires premium fuel, adding to the operating cost. The only transmission is a smooth-shifting six-speed automatic.

The CX-7 corners with restrained body roll, and the well-weighted steering transmits welcome feedback. Overall, the CX-7 feels agile and responsive, though it suffers from a stiff ride. Electronic stability control and side-curtain air bags are standard.

The cleanly designed interior is well put together, though some dash and door trim materials feel cheap. The front seats are reasonably comfortable. Commonly used radio controls are oriented toward the passenger side, making them a far reach for the driver. We were disappointed at the lack of a telescoping steering wheel and on-board trip computer at this price. Consistent with the attempt to instill a sporty character, the gauges are located deep within individual tubes. A high window line and low rear seat can make backseat passengers feel claustrophobic.

The CX-7 is a distinctive SUV that stands out in a crowded market. Its styling, agility, and performance potential have appeal, but the engine's real-world power delivery is its Achilles' heel. (omg) The delayed throttle response and raspy sounds are simply out of place in a midsized family vehicle, sporty or otherwise.

We'll see how the CX-7 stacks up against competitors such as the Acura RDX when our full road-test report appears in the January 2007 issue of Consumer Reports magazine and on ConsumerReports.org in December."

Consumer Reports ALWAYS dissapoints. I have never owned a vehicle that was recommoended by CR. Look at the 2006 Ford Taurus. I'm not bashing Ford, but it is by all metrics an uncompetitve vehicle in its class. CR rates it recommend, while the VW Passat is not. To each their own, but I'd rather have a half of the VW than a whole Taurus, any day. if you are an enthsiast by any measure, CR is about the worst publication.
That being said, I have to admit minor dissapointment in the low end torque of my CX-7. I took it for a 250 mile round trip yesterday. If I am gently leaving a stoplight, I am unbothered, but if I need to GO!! I do feel a lag. I didn't feel one before, and wrote that I felt turbo lag was non-existent in another thread. I am reversing my opinion. At one point, making a left against traffic I was scared I ma ynot make it. The throttle response and or gear selection and thus instant performance wasn't there like I expected.
Mid range power for passing and climbing hills is great. Very reassuring passing a slow-poke on two-laners inhabited by lots of semis. I guess I am used to the Hemi 300C for off the line gratification and need to adjust my driving style thusly.
I also feel the seat backs are a bit too narow and lack support where I need it most. It's overall not quite as comfy on the open road as I had hoped.
However, the driving position and view out are very good. the Bose stereo kept the wind and road noise at bay and I got 20 mpg on an engine with less than 1K on it in mixed driving. Pretty damn good, i would say.
Going on another 250 mile round tripper this weekend. Maybe I'll have yet another opinion by Monday!

CAI's work well with turbo engines, but in this case, I think it's programming. Keep in mind that some CAIs will lean the mixture causing a delay in turbo response until enough fuel can be put into the pipe. This may be a non-issue with a DISI engine. I don't know.
Also, while they promise a lot, they seem to only deliver a little on the dyno, are louder (induction air is not silenced), and may push the max horse and torque figures up farther in the rev band.
I don't know enough about these engines to say for sure either way.

PAA said:
Is there anything to do to reduce the turbo lag ? Does a CAI or something else could work.
Turbo lag, such as it is in the CX, may have an unintended positive side effect - at least for the AWD models.

Remember that we're talking about a variable on-demand AWD with TCS. That's a lot of computer chips humming to put the right power to the right wheel at the right time. A tire-scorching start could prove disasterous if it were possible. This could also be a subtle reason for the six speed sport auto being the only option in North America. Just to make a dropped-clutch launch impossible.

Just a random thought in an otherwise ordered mind.

Good point, a lot of it may be the electronic throttle lagging a little before giving the command. I had another long-ish trip this weekend and didn't notice the phenomenon that I alluded to a few posts ago. Maybe I'm getting used to it. Plus, now that it's got some miles on it, I'm not pussy-fotting around anymore.

I think the turbo lag is present but can be controlled. I was driving my dad's Jeep Cherokee with the standard 8 cyl and wow...I forgot what off the line torque was. Granted, that comes at a price of about 14-15mpg with conservative driving. In all, I like the cx7 and I can live with the few minor irritations.

EDIT * The wife just called and it seems we have a CEL (check engine light). She said the instrument panel is like a disco with the 'D', the orange tire light, and the CEL. :) Guess its time for that free oil change, free detail, and reflash etc.

Last edited:
I don't think there's that much lag to be disappointed. Heck, I am scared to take turns and then picking up speed quickly because I feel like it's too much power and the wheel flies out of my hand!! No lag then it seems!! I have a great deal of confidence trying to pass or get around someone fast......they should have driven my automatic RX 8....it seems that's what they are describing!! The auto's on the 8 have some power issues but man that vehicle handled extremely well. I feel the ride is very smooth and maybe it's because I am used to the RX 8 and more of a sport suspension, but I just love driving the CX 7! Again, just another opinion...I mean this is not a $60,000 plus car and read those forums and they have complaints and issues too!!! I am happy thus far and am prepared for a few glitches and updates...no big deal.....that's what you get when you buy a first model year car! ZOOM,ZOOM to you CR!!!

I believe Consumer Reports may be a little biased. Note how some unspecified radio controls being a "far reach" for the driver completely fails to mention the steering wheel controls for volume, mute, mode, etc.?

In my experience, the turbo lag (which causes the sometimes lethargic launch, followed by rocket-like accelaration) is MUCH worse when the A/C is on. I am not so sure it's just the lag, as my previous vehicle - Mazda6 V6 w/ 6-speed AT - behaved in similar fashion, although the effect is even more with the CX-7. I suspect the electronic throttle is also part of this problem.

I have also had a few instances of pulling into traffic from a dead stop, where I mashed the gas pedal, only to start inching forward for about 1-2 seconds and then rocketing forward. It was pretty scary and unpleasant. All these happened with the A/C on - now I realize the car turns A/C off at WOT but there is obviously a time delay before that can happen, too. With the A/C turned off, I have absolutely no complaints.

I'm gonna see if there might be a PCM update to help alleviate this problem during my next visit to the dealer - I have a few issues to address as well (Remote start doesn't work and I have clunk coming from the front in certain situations, namely when accelerating after coasting and also when making a sharp turn at low speed).

As for some of the reviews - this is not a car for everybody, obviously, but some of the comments just make me scratch my head.

One issue I do have is I find the leather seats in my GT uncomfortable - namely the seat bottoms. I'm no fatass (6', 180 lbs) but after driving for ~30 minutes, I swear I can feel the seat frame. Since no one else seems to be complaining, it's either a case of a bad seat cushion or oversensitive hiney. Hmmm...

Last edited:
Back