CX-7 owner - looking at Outlook and CX-9

CXRabbit

:
2009 CX-9 TR +Kenwood DNX7020EX
Hey all,

I'm a VERY happy CX-7 owner and looking to buy another car sometime soon. I want to buy pre-owned to save the money.

I'm hoping to find a nicely equipped 07/08 Saturn Outlook (our other car is a Saturn) or a 07/08 CX-9. Radio/nav isn't all that important as I have no problem going aftermarket (as I did with both car we own now).

Of course, I expect everyone here to be a little biased, but I wondered how many of you test drove both and how you found them to compare?

What price should I expect to pay for a pre-owned CX-9 with leather interior?

Anyone have any issues with aftermarket stereos in the CX-9 (back in 2007 it was a lot of custom work on the CX-7 to get what I wanted). The Saturn looks to be more straight-forward in this regard (double-din navigation like Pioneer Z3).

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

Hey all,

I'm a VERY happy CX-7 owner and looking to buy another car sometime soon. I want to buy pre-owned to save the money.

I'm hoping to find a nicely equipped 07/08 Saturn Outlook (our other car is a Saturn) or a 07/08 CX-9. Radio/nav isn't all that important as I have no problem going aftermarket (as I did with both car we own now).

Of course, I expect everyone here to be a little biased, but I wondered how many of you test drove both and how you found them to compare?

What price should I expect to pay for a pre-owned CX-9 with leather interior?

Anyone have any issues with aftermarket stereos in the CX-9 (back in 2007 it was a lot of custom work on the CX-7 to get what I wanted). The Saturn looks to be more straight-forward in this regard (double-din navigation like Pioneer Z3).

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

Have never driven the outlook, but I do own an 08-CX-9 and 09-CX-7. The drive and "luxury" of the CX-9 far surpasses the CX-7 in my opinion even with the stock tires which are on both vehicles. Much quieter, and less susceptible to road noise. Although the CX-7 is better on smooth highway.

Not aware of any "mass produced" aftermarkets for the CX-9 radio. I haven't seen it come up here since most discussion are of replacing the NAV/Audio unit which there are really not many/any options.

I've seen used CX-9s on eBay and other places for about $19 to $22K. Models vary. However, with the promotions going on now to clear inventory for the 2010s, you can probably get a NEW '09 FWD sport w/o NAV for not much more. Mazda is offering $4K in rebates to dealer and $1K in customer loayalty (as you are a CX-7 owner).

Last edited:
Yeah, this is definitely the time to buy a CX-9. I bought mine a few months ago when there were still lots of new 08's on the lot and I got a slightly used one (2000 mi) for 13K off MSRP--loaded GT with the gameboy, AWD, tow, tint, clearbra, navi, etc. It's an awesome car, especially with all the gadgets in it.
I really think it looks the best in CWP but that's just my opinion. It's def worth the extra 200 for that paint!

Are you a bit worred that Saturn is a dying brand?
The future parts supply may be a bit more pricey and difficult to get (certain possible to get thanks to fed regulation - 10 yr supply, etc.).
Outlook was on my list. I was disappointed when I actually sat in one at an autoshow. The 2nd row seats seemed smallest to me. It was also not as refined as CX9. Did not bother to test-drive it after that.

Are you a bit worred that Saturn is a dying brand?
The future parts supply may be a bit more pricey and difficult to get (certain possible to get thanks to fed regulation - 10 yr supply, etc.).
Outlook was on my list. I was disappointed when I actually sat in one at an autoshow. The 2nd row seats seemed smallest to me. It was also not as refined as CX9. Did not bother to test-drive it after that.

I would not worry about mechanical parts being obsolete for the Saturns. With the 10yr requirement and GMC and Chevy part of the triplets business plan of GM, you should be good to go for a long time.

I looked at the Acadia, which is the Outlook Twin. Nicest thing GM has ever made to date, but still short of the CX9 in quality and performance. If you need the space, 8 seats, and towing, go with the Outlook. The Outlook/Acadia has a bit more space than the CX9. All other CUVs have considerably less room than the CX9, particularly behind the 3rd row.

If you like something fun to drive, the CX9 is it for 3 rows. It drives like a heavy sports car. The GMs drive like, well, heavy GMs; still too heavy, floaty, and boatlike for my taste.

Also, I tried folding the seats and could not get the middle row cushions to relatch. The overly complex fold and tumble system did not impress, since a CX9 gives you just as much entry space with a much simpler one hand release. Lambdas have already recorded much more significant problems then the minor gremlins us CX9 owners have experienced.

As long as GM survives, you should still be able to get service, since Saturn abandoned their independent production long ago in favor of rebadging Chevys.

I would not worry about mechanical parts being obsolete for the Saturns. With the 10yr requirement and GMC and Chevy part of the triplets business plan of GM, you should be good to go for a long time.

True, but it will hurt the resale value down the road.
I personally think CX9 should go on a diet (less 200lb or so), not to mention the GM quadruplet, which are 400lbs heavier than CX9.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'd like to try to keep my CX-7 (and not use it for trade-in value) because I do love it, so I really want to keep the price in the $20K range... hoping that's possible for what I want. I may end up having to wait.

Reading more about the Outlook, I'm worried about the "leaking sunroof problem" especially with pre-owned. I'm not worried about parts availability... Saturns are essentially GM. And I think Penske actually has some pretty ambitious plans for the brand.

On another note, I'm pretty impressed by the Ford Flex. Other than Saturn, I've never even considered an American Car (and Saturn only gets my vote because of their customer service)... but wow, the Ford Flex looks pretty darn nice for a gadget freak like me. I may go test-drive one, but it's a bit rich for my blood!

The leaking roof problem certainly seems prevalent among the Lambdas, based on responses to TrueDelta's Car Reliability Survey. Overall, though, reliability seems about the same for the CX-9 and Lambdas.

The seats are my least favorite part of the Lambdas. Nearly every competitor, including the Flex and CX-9, has better seats.

The worst issue on CX9 (AFAIK) is the throttle body (which is a Ford part).
Other issues are minor (IMHO) compared to "leaking roof".
CX9 has the following frequently mentioned issues
- vibrating side mirror glass
- brake noises
- aux/Sirrus integration (07-08)
- airbag lights (shorts from power outlet wiring)
- trim and paint defects

Compared to "leaking roof", they are relatively minor. Don't you think?
They should have mostly been fixed in 09 models.
The throttle body issue is sporadic, keep your fingers crossed.
There is no recall in sight.

Back