CX-5's rear wheel wells

Phillip808

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hi all, my 2014 CX-5 Touring's rear wheel wells (inside) are different than those of the front. The rear ones do not have black plastic lining, but some kind of greyish carpet-like lining instead. I'm not sure if these are normal...???

well.JPG

Attachments

• we4.JPG
    we4.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Yes, this is normal. The grey material is for sound deadening of stones and other things that may fly up there. They really should have put this in the front too, but didn't for whatever reason.

Well, I've only had mine for one week, but so far it seems to not be an issue.

It no doubt will more than the plastic liners, but you still chould be able to hose most of it off.

The felt surface liner is actually easier to keep clean than hard molded plastic liners...

Must be cheaper alternative to that usual hard plastic wheel wells

I don't think they use it just because its cheaper. Its to absorb the debris hitting the wheel wells making it quieter. The german brands have been using this material for wheel wells for a few years now. The front wheel wells of VW Touaregs and Porche Cayennes have used these since 2008. and I noticed my sister-in-laws MB E350 has them for both front and rear wheel wells.

I don't think they use it just because its cheaper. Its to absorb the debris hitting the wheel wells making it quieter. The german brands have been using this material for wheel wells for a few years now. The front wheel wells of VW Touaregs and Porche Cayennes have used these since 2008. and I noticed my sister-in-laws MB E350 has them for both front and rear wheel wells.
Mazda began using this material on the Miata (and possibly other models) around 2008.

Interesting; I wonder why they didn't use it on the the 3rd gen Miata from the git-go in 2006.

Probably for cost reasons considering the Miata was an inexpensive sports car and also that extra sound damping in the wheel wells would have made only a minimal difference to interior sound levels.

^ Yes, I'm guessing same thing about Miata, also given it has a completely separate trunk for better noise isolation (without a fold down back seat like many sedans).

My Dad's VW wagon has the same in the rear wheel wells. I was skeptical at first that they'd quickly turn brown, but they seem ok, must not retain water for long.

Pay attention to how light colored road grime and stains simply spray off with a hose with the felted wheel liners. You'd have to scrub the hard plastic molded liners for a similar cleansing result.

Back