Cx-5

Robotazky

Lover of 5's
:
2009 Mazda5 GT
Thoughts? I don't even have time to check the oil on the 5 right now, but I have noticed on Autoblog (thank God for Autoblog's iPhone app) that the CX-5 is coming with great mileage and a price around $20K.

What do you guys think about it? I happen to think it's intriguing.

Last edited:
I'm biased, but it looks to be a real home run for Mazda. I think they'll see some great sales numbers especially here in new england. Mazda will be taking a nice chunk out of subaru and I think you'll see a lot of Mazda 3 owners uograding considering it should have a nice price point and great mileage for a crossover. Thank god for the kodo design, it's gorgeous. The diesel version of the cx-5 with awd would be sick I can't wait to see where this design goes with rx7/8, 3, and mx5.

I'm biased, but it looks to be a real home run for Mazda. I think they'll see some great sales numbers especially here in new england. Mazda will be taking a nice chunk out of subaru and I think you'll see a lot of Mazda 3 owners uograding considering it should have a nice price point and great mileage for a crossover. Thank god for the kodo design, it's gorgeous. The diesel version of the cx-5 with awd would be sick I can't wait to see where this design goes with rx7/8, 3, and mx5.

looks great, lets hope they are still in the KODO design phase when my 2006 MZ5 finally wears out (at this rate, it wont be until around 2016!!!) does look a bit BMW x3 ish and a hell of alot better than the current "grinning Idiot" front facias!!!

If I were to buy a non-luxury CUV, the CX-5 would be it. Can't think of a better choice when it comes to driving feel. But I'm like flcrusing - gotta have sliding doors. I'm not a fan of the Kodo application on this car either. It looks thrown together. Doesn't seem to have a coherent theme.

+1. The Kodo design is very nice and I think it will sell well. I think Mazda may cannibalize its own sales moreso as Mz3 hatch and Cx7 owners will likely cross shop and choose the Cx5 (me guessing). Subaru has a very 'loyal' following and don't think this will be as much a threat.

I'm just glad Mazda quickly moved away from the Nagare concept, which is an epic fail. Great on concepts but not so much in the real world, like funky clothes on the catwalk that would look strange and out of place on the streets.

I think it will do well and it's nice to have another option in that class. Having said that, we used to own a Honda CR-V and while it did really well for our needs at the time, the lack of a third row is why we eventually traded it in. Over and over, I keep thinking the 5 is the same size as the CR-V, yet gets better gas mileage, is far more practical in every way, and easier and more fun to drive.

I think it will do well and it's nice to have another option in that class. Having said that, we used to own a Honda CR-V and while it did really well for our needs at the time, the lack of a third row is why we eventually traded it in. Over and over, I keep thinking the 5 is the same size as the CR-V, yet gets better gas mileage, is far more practical in every way, and easier and more fun to drive.

Agreed, and all the forum members in Canada have proven you don't need 4WD if you have a good set of snows and a Mazda5. But the CRV is probably a bit more refined, tho. Woudn't know from personal experience, but I surmise its so.

What if they put the sliding doors on the CX-5?

That would be BRILLIANT! Merge the VAN with the SUV!

Sliding doors ROCK!!!

personally, I like the idea of a 6 seater when needed. It was perfect for a trip we took to the mountains, drove 2 cars there, drove 1 around with 6 adults - priceless, and handles better than an actual minivan, with better gas mileage IMO.

oh, and cheaper :)

What if they put the sliding doors on the CX-5?

That would be BRILLIANT! Merge the VAN with the SUV!

Sliding doors ROCK!!!

We like sliders. But to most other people, sliders = minivans no matter the actual shape/styling of the vehicle and minivans = boring. Mazda would be committing model suicide if the CX-5 came with sliders.

This will kill Mz3 hatch sales and makes a hard case for the Mz5, which only has sliding door as its saving grace. I like Mazda's new direction.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/06/2013-mazda-cx-5-first-drive-review/

Agreed with above statement but I'd go one further. It's only barely smaller than the CX7 and thus might cannibalize some non-turbo CX7 sales. It's an extremely crowded vehicle segment, the hatchback/small crossover costing $18-22K, but if that's what consumers want, so be it. Hopefully, instead of other Mazdas, it'll instead cannibalize CRV and Rav4 sales. Doubt it as many Honda/Toyota owners I know wouldn't drive any Mazda...

CX5 configuration is available on Mazda's website. It is a re-skinned Mz3/5! I can't help but wonder how nice it would be to have that motor and trans in the <'10 model Mz5 (sorry, no like +'12 model). Manual, sliding doors, good driving dynamics, and awesome MPG to boot! If one of these motors/trans show up on a wreck car, I may consider. Aside from PCM changes, I image it should drop right in.

CX5 configuration is available on Mazda's website. It is a re-skinned Mz3/5! I can't help but wonder how nice it would be to have that motor and trans in the <'10 model Mz5 (sorry, no like +'12 model). Manual, sliding doors, good driving dynamics, and awesome MPG to boot! If one of these motors/trans show up on a wreck car, I may consider. Aside from PCM changes, I image it should drop right in.

If I could have that engine in my '09 and get rid of the rear door rattles, I'd be in heaven.

Big gotcha that I did see coming was the cost of the oil changes on the new engines!!! my 2006 Mazda5 oil change costs $50 My mothers brand new 2012 Mazda3 $115 The 0w20 oil is super expensive!!!

I think it's time to go back to simpler 5w30 vehicles!!

meh... 115 is like 2 trips to the gas station.

does suck though. you can do better than 50 bucks though for the 5... oh wait you are in canada.

Agreed with above statement but I'd go one further. It's only barely smaller than the CX7 and thus might cannibalize some non-turbo CX7 sales. It's an extremely crowded vehicle segment, the hatchback/small crossover costing $18-22K, but if that's what consumers want, so be it. Hopefully, instead of other Mazdas, it'll instead cannibalize CRV and Rav4 sales. Doubt it as many Honda/Toyota owners I know wouldn't drive any Mazda...
You are absolutely right! I missed this article but It's been confirmed that the CX7 is done in the US by end of 2012 (unofficially now). Turns out the CX5 actually have MORE cargo room and interior volume than the CX7 yet more efficient and better looking. I don’t think Mazda will do a Speed CX5 (save that for the Hatch to differentiate it) but I can see them going with a Sky-D. More fantasies on what can fit into our engine (assuming Mazda don’t offer if). I’m hoping for better rear shocks too that we can use as well :D

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/09/mazda-cx-7-leaving-the-u-s-market-after-2012/

Back