CX-5 Trim Selection Advice

No they don’t. I went under settings for the LDW. The intervention is a check box. There is a option of off for audible warnings. These selections have stuck for me since I selected them.

Cool. Thanks for the confirmation (thumb)

I have also learned to use the blind spot monitoring in my HUD first rather than the mirrors.

On a side note I see more manufacturers taking the orange warning out of the mirror and putting it in the mirror enclosure which would be in our eyesight first. It’s a good idea but I still like the HUD warning better though I wish Mazda would make these warnings amber instead of opaque.

Anytime. I prefer less beeps and rumbles. 80% of the time they are useless and distracting.

I'll see how they are when I get mine and depending on their level of intrusion, may turn off some.

Sure, as yrwei puts it, it is down to cost, but if the cost isn't an issue, then there are other considerations.

So my angle is that I don't want a lot of distracting tech, or tech that would increase my cost of owning the vehicle. I like to drive, I don't want a car that makes me coffee, or that I watch TV on. I simply want to drive and enjoy driving.

As such, when I bought my CX-5, I got a base Touring trim with none of the packages added (I believe there were options for either a bose/moonroof or technology package at the time). Why? Well part of it was money, sure, but the other part was really that I didn't want the headache of added tech and problems that could arise. Hell, I only went Touring because it had the 2.5L engine (Sport had 2.0L at the time), and the only tech that I actually cared about which was the backup camera, blind spot monitoring, and better radio with pandora/usb/bluetooth which the Sport didn't have. Since the newer Sports have all that, I'd probably be content with a Sport these days!

Other thoughts: We had a horrible hailstorm back in May that absolutely destroyed cars and windshields that were in it. Luckily I was not in its path, but suppose I had been caught driving in it. Would I rather have a moonroof or regular roof above me? For my windshield would I rather have a cheaper to replace windshield, or more expensive windshields that work with the tech (rain sensing, etc.)? If my headlights go out would I rather buy a cheap bulb to replace, or a whole LED assembly which is not cheap? Do I want tech that constantly distracts me and beeps at me?

My answer to most of those questions was the go the simple route. My base 2014 Touring is probably equivalent to the Sport trim on 2017+ MY. I've never once wished I had more tech in it, mostly because I never wanted the tech and still don't, I hate leather seats (my Touring has cloth), and I simply enjoy driving, as you put it, the driving dynamics.

So if you feel like I do, then I think you'll be perfectly fine with a Sport or Touring trim. On the other hand if you feel you will wish you had the tech down the road, then you are better off just springing for the GT.

Bro, you summed this up NICE!! I'm pretty much in the same mindset as you. Coming from a vehicle with next to no computerized tech, it is hard to gauge how much of those I should adopt. My minds says minimal, and that's probably what I will do. Seems like even the Sport trim will have the 2.5L engine. If it's true, this will be a huge deciding factor for me. Just waiting on Mazda to update their official site on the 2018 models on further trim, package, and accessory details. Thanks again, man!

Back