CX-5 Startup

My CX-5 GT has the same "noise" even after 2700 miles. Keep reading and you will find that the noise is normal upon start up. Consider it to be part of the " zoom-zoom"

I got my CX-5 back in March when it was still fairly cold in the mornings. I usually get into my vehicle at 0615, so it's dark and cold. Back in March we had some cold mornings around 40 degrees F. The engine is louder for about 30-45 seconds. I really don't mind much, but during about 3 of those really cold-weather starts, it seemed to be miss-firing or something where the RPM fluctuated intensley between 500-1500. I was really concerned and called the dealer, but it never happened again (I think because it finally warmed up). I'm nervous about this winter season, if it happens again I'm calling the dealer straight away. I should find out in October/November time-frame.

I have the same "misfiring" problem. It sounds like there's a hunk of metal rattling around in one of the cylinders for a couple seconds and the RPM gauge goes crazy! I'm going to try to record it and see what the dealer says.

I have the same "misfiring" problem. It sounds like there's a hunk of metal rattling around in one of the cylinders for a couple seconds and the RPM gauge goes crazy! I'm going to try to record it and see what the dealer says.

They run quite loud for about 30 seconds at first start-up, where exhaust timing is retarded to warm up the engine faster.

That's the pzev ( partial zero emission vehicle) Subaru has been using that since 05 on the legacys. I work for Subaru and get that complaint all the time from people that aren't use to it. At Subaru school we got to monitor the exhaust.and found the cats at optimal temperature and firing off within 2 minutes of cold start up

Last edited:
They run quite loud for about 30 seconds at first start-up, where exhaust timing is retarded to warm up the engine faster.

No, I'm not talking about the normal start-up. I'm well aware that the RPMs will jump up to around 2000, stay there for 30 seconds, and come back down to a normal baseline. The problem I'm having is that the car will audibly have trouble starting up, which can also be seen visually by the erratic movements of the RPM gauge.

My 2.2 diesel has never fast idled on the initial cold start-up of the day. But if I shut the motor down before normal running temperature is reached and re-start then it does fast idle for about 20 seconds and then settles. Once the motor is at normal running temperature it always starts and idles normally. I'm a little puzzled by the reports of noisy motors during the fast idle phase. The fast idle phase of my car is only noticeable in a confined area such as the garage. It's certainly not alarming.

I have the same noise BUT can limit the noise to a few seconds by putting the car into DRIVE immediately after starting

Back