CX-5 Side Window Deflectors Installed (photos)

I'd like to know how well it works, too.

I'm really happy with the moon roof deflector. With it in place and the moon roof open at 65-70 mph I can easily carry on a conversation and hear the other person. It is a very noticeable difference on the CX-5. On our 3 it was an improvement but it wasn't as loud to begin with so it wasn't as drastic of a difference. If it is really gusty out then you'll still get a fair amount of wind noise but if the wind isn't bad it is pretty quiet.

With the visor in place it is actually quieter to have the entire moon roof open rather than just the back lifted up on it.

I drive with the moon roof open now just about all the time, unless it is raining or too hot. It is a great way to get fresh air through without getting blasted like with the windows down. Then if I want a bit more fresh air I just crack the right rear window an inch or so and it will sweep through the cabin quite well.

I'll even leave it open when it is lightly raining sometimes if I'm moving fast enough for the rain to just get swept over the moon roof. The only problem there is if you slow down any water that is on the roof will move forward and into the opening.

On our last car I rarely ever used the moon roof until we added a visor to it. Then we used it so much it became an item we actually looked for on the new cars.

Trevor
Mazda CX-5 Accessories

Last edited:
HandA, do you have pics of the moonroof deflector installed? Wide/far shows and some closeup and some side shots please?
How is it installed? Double sided tape and some plastic clips?

FYI, your link in your signature is wrong. cx-5.html doesn't work but cx5.html does

They attach with metal clips that fit under the edge of the moon roof opening and then there are screws that hold the visor to the clips.

The visor isn't as noticeable on the CX-5 as it is on the 3 since it sits up higher. I didn't like the one on the 3 at first but now that I'm used to it they look off to me when they don't have one.

(thanks, I've fixed the link)

mrv1.jpg

mrv2.jpg

Hey I have the same visor. Great for highway driving and putting the window down a bit.. very little noise and also keeps rain out while having the window down.. no complaints so far

I'm certain wind noise and air flow has improved with these visors installed when the window(s) are down, but has wind noise changed or stayed the same with the windows up at highway speeds (60-80 mph)?

I'm certain wind noise and air flow has improved with these visors installed when the window(s) are down, but has wind noise changed or stayed the same with the windows up at highway speeds (60-80 mph)?

These visors are low profile and very well designed. I haven't really noted any change on wind noise at high speeds.

I agree with HandA that the moonroof deflector is a huge improvement on wind noise and much more enjoyable to drive with it open now.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for the side window deflectors. I wasn't expecting them to add noise to the drive at higher speeds but they definitely do (with the windows up), making some of the much desired quietness (insulation feeling) of the CX-5 seem to go away. And honestly, I'm not noticing that they've improved the windflow into the car when down. I still can't find a level of putting them down where they aren't overly loud and blasting me on the side of the head while giving good airflow.

I'm kind of regretting putting the side deflectors on. But the moonroof deflector is a win for sure.

Back