CX-5 Short Ram Intake released

Sounding more like the well engineered stock cold air intake...

I think a dirty sock would filter better than that. I'll stick with the paper filter, 2 less HP, and keep the money in the bank.

typically the best upgrade you can do is to modify the stock intake... replacing all the accordian elbows with mandrel bent ones, and increasing the diameter of the primary "snorkel"...

Never seen a car forum with such lack of love for aftermarket intakes...
I just emailed K&N to see if they respond re: possibility of offering products for our car.

I just emailed K&N to see if they respond re: possibility of offering products for our car.

I think as the engineering that goes into cars increases the interest in semi-home-spun 'performance' add-ons drops off. It is a bit like the stuff that advertises such huge gains in mpg etc. if it worked Mazda would do it that way from the factory.

I think a dirty sock would filter better than that. I'll stick with the paper filter, 2 less HP, and keep the money in the bank.

Agreed, and I don't have to listen to the ricey/wheezing noise too.

original.gif

BTW, (for anyone who still wants to know) K&N told me they currently do not have our car on their list for new products. They offered to notify me when they do, and I accepted.

^^^ Eric, that's my response to the discussion of oem vs aftermarket filters, the GIF says it all: I have no rebuttal against the article posted.

So has anyone installed the corksport short ram intake? It seems pretty reasonable in price and if it has even a little HP gain, its fine by me. I read that many have different opinions on this, I just want to know from those who have it and how you like it.

the article may have swerved my opinion to get the corksport sri and work on other performance based items such as suspension

I installed a K&N drop in filter on my Tundra pickup truck while I had it on the dynamometer and lost 4 RWHP. Wondering why we dissected the filter and found out that the factory Toyota filter had 50% more surface area than the K&N filter. Even though the K&N filter may have outflowed the stock filter per sq in, the stock filter still outflowed the K&N overall because it had 50% more surface area via more pleats. I've also found out that many of those so called cold air intakes with their larger diameter tubes really hurt low end torque especially on smaller engines. This is why companies like K&N that offer dyno graphs will have truncated graphs that start at 3500 RPM + or - 500 RPM.

Probably because CX-5 owners are better educated and less gullible to manufacturer claims of more HP, better filtering.

OEM pleated paper filters and OEM intakes will keep your engine cleaner, produce more power as the filter loads with dirt and make the engine last longer.

I think it was W.C. Fields who famously said "There's a sucker born every minute" (or maybe it was P.T. Barnum).

Mike

Last edited:
Back