CX-5 over a Forester?

If you have good snow tires your about to find that AWD is no big deal.

You're right. My LX20's dug in very well. I was pretty impressed! I couldn't make the thing slide, being even remotely sensible. That said, even work is kicking me when I'm down, rofl!

12493919_791470855501_7237187642263418794_o.jpg

You're right. My LX20's dug in very well. I was pretty impressed! I couldn't make the thing slide, being even remotely sensible. That said, even work is kicking me when I'm down, rofl!

Ummm....if those all-season Conti's are what passes for snow tires in Arkansas, then you've got a nice surprise when you finally drive on real ones. Night/day difference.

I've got the Conti all-seasons on my Volvo and I was impressed with their snow performance the one time I drove them in a little bit of light snow. But they do not approach the performance of a winter tire, especially on hard ice or deep snow. I'm guessing you got less than a foot?

Ummm....if those all-season Conti's are what passes for snow tires in Arkansas, then you've got a nice surprise when you finally drive on real ones. Night/day difference.

I've got the Conti all-seasons on my Volvo and I was impressed with their snow performance the one time I drove them in a little bit of light snow. But they do not approach the performance of a winter tire, especially on hard ice or deep snow. I'm guessing you got less than a foot?

It didn't snow much at all. I was impressed with them in relation to the Goodyear G2's and Michelin PSS's I have previously used in cold weather, lol! Also, they do seem better than the Destination LE2's I had on my Jeep. There was no ice or anything, all powder. Noone in NWA actually uses snow tires. It's pointless, IMO, as you can have a foot of snow one day, and it's all gone the next day, etc.

It didn't snow much at all.

My mistake, I thought you said the snow was "piling up" and you were upset because your AWD was broken. So naturally I assumed you were getting buried like this guy:

maxresdefault.jpg

Oops! He forgot his winter tires. A/T tires are no match for this. I don't care if you have a full locking diff.

My mistake, I thought you said the snow was "piling up" and you were upset because your AWD was broken. So naturally I assumed you were getting buried like this guy:

maxresdefault.jpg

Oops! He forgot his winter tires. A/T tires are no match for this. I don't care if you have a full locking diff.

You called my neighbor's driveway "rugged terrain". I think I'm entitled to a hyperbole of my own...

You called my neighbor's driveway "rugged terrain". I think I'm entitled to a hyperbole of my own...

Well your neighbor didn't think it was a good idea to drive it with your AWD CX-5. If it wasn't because it was too rugged, what was her concern?

Well your neighbor didn't think it was a good idea to drive it with your AWD CX-5. If it wasn't because it was too rugged, what was her concern?

No, she has a newer Camry/Corolla, as I recall. I don't know what the other neighbor who lives down it drives.

Just traded in my wife's 13 CrossTrex for a 2016 Forester.

I've driven it about 1000 miles.

It's simply vanilla. Huge sunroof, like 2.5 times the size - only thing I love. Other than that - solid car but boring as hell. You CAN NOT compare it to my 16 GT with tech. The ride is much much higher, luxurious, and solid.

Seriously - it's in a much different class.

If you have specific questions - please ask.

I brought her car in for an oil change and came home with this. She had no clue until I woke her up and asked her to grab my wallet which I left in her car. She walked to the garage and - there it was - new car.

She ABSOLUTELY LOVES this car.

I brought her car in for an oil change and came home with this. She had no clue until I woke her up and asked her to grab my wallet which I left in her car. She walked to the garage and - there it was - new car.
I wish I could do the same to my wife someday. :) But she wouldn't be thrilled like your wife if I treated her a Subbie. She has our new CX-5 as the daily driver, but she's not impressed. She has always been wanting a Lexus!

I wish I could do the same to my wife someday. :) But she wouldn't be thrilled like your wife if I treated her a Subbie. She has our new CX-5 as the daily driver, but she's not impressed. She has always been wanting a Lexus!

I'll tell you this....(haven't driven or seen the lexus) but I traded in my brand new Mercedes GLA 250 4 matic with 750 miles on it because it was the biggest piece of s*** automobile I have ever driven. I test drove it and was excited to own my first Mercedes. Blinded by the emblem.

What a mistake. The CX5 is 1000000X more luxurious that the Mercedes GLA 250.

I am not a fan of the shape of the lexus. I am now not a fan of owning the cheapest version of an expensive brand vehicle. I learned my lesson.

I can own a MAXED out middle of the road branded car or a base model luxury brand. Luxury brand auto manufactures shouldn't build cheap cars. They suck at it.

JMHO.

P.S. Get her that Lexus - I've found out after a short 20 years of marriage - making my wife happy is the greatest feeling I get.

Look at he smile on that girls face :)

Well then she can go buy a Lexus. Why should you have to buy it for her? Did she buy you a car? Sorry, sorry, I guess that's a sore spot with me.

How do you make such a big purchase (financially) without involving your spouse?? ..... "oh by the way honey, our monthly car payment has gone up by a few hundred dollars now. Gonna have to cut back on the Starbucks".

But seriously, how do you pull that off? Don't you need her there to atlest co-sign for financing?

I've driven it about 1000 miles.

It's simply vanilla. Huge sunroof, like 2.5 times the size - only thing I love. Other than that - solid car but boring as hell. You CAN NOT compare it to my 16 GT with tech. The ride is much much higher, luxurious, and solid.

Seriously - it's in a much different class.

If you have specific questions - please ask.

I really like the look of the newer Foresters. I am not a fan of how my CX-5 looks, except to say it looks better than the RAV and ESPECIALLY the CR-V (which, to me, looks like a shrunken 90's Minivan.) I wonder what it is about a person that makes them prefer the Forester or the CX-5's styling.

Why did you buy it then? Just no other options at the time?

I got a great deal on it, and it meets my needs. I got $2k over kbb trade in on a Chrysler, and got it for KBB private retail. Thus far, it has not had a single mechanical failure not due to environmental causes, and I can fill the tank for under $20. It works!

Last edited:
I got a great deal on it, and it meets my needs. I got $2k over kbb trade in on a Chrysler, and got it for KBB private retail. Thus far, it has not had a single mechanical failure not due to environmental causes, and I can fill the tank for under $20. It works!

I still wouldn't buy a car if I didn't like the way it looks. My happiness is worth more than a couple thousands dollars. Which is ultimately why I got the tech package on my CX5. Knew I wouldn't be happy without it so I just did it.

I still wouldn't buy a car if I didn't like the way it looks. My happiness is worth more than a couple thousands dollars. Which is ultimately why I got the tech package on my CX5. Knew I wouldn't be happy without it so I just did it.
I was making significantly less when I bought it than now, and was looking for every penny in my D/I ratio to support a home build. Besides, the performance of the Forester 2.5 just didn't suit me. The 2.0XT was substantially more, and runs on 93*

Last edited:
Not everyone cares what a car looks like. I just bought a Corvette - special order - so it hasn't come in yet.

Based on a recent thread on the Vette Forum - 64% of Corvette owners never test drive the car or even sit in it before buying it.

I'm a 64%'er :)

Not everyone cares what a car looks like. I just bought a Corvette - special order - so it hasn't come in yet.

Based on a recent thread on the Vette Forum - 64% of Corvette owners never test drive the car or even sit in it before buying it.

I'm a 64%'er :)

I never even drove a Corvette before I bought my Z06. Or a JGC before I got my Jeep.

I was making significantly less when I bought it than now, and was looking for every penny in my D/I ratio to support a home build. Besides, the performance of the Forester 2.5 just didn't suit me. The 2.0XT was substantially more, and runs on 93*

Fair enough.

Not everyone cares what a car looks like

That is beyond me lol How could anyone buy a car if they don't visually like it. But I agree, there are definitely some cars that I would buy without even having to drive. GT350R, yes please.

Back