CX-5 Headrest/Visibility Fix

SemperFiCX5

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
The CX-3 arrived yesterday and naturally, curiosity struck me when I saw the rear headrests in person. They are a direct fit in the CX-5 and have very much the same style as the JDM headrests, offering better visibility when DOWN and better support when UP. They do not have the red stitching (for the GT crowd) but, may be a suitable replacement when they become available in the parts system.

If enough of us are interested, I'll have my parts manager put a Group-Buy price together. Hopefully the pictures upload properly...

Mazda is historically very slow to make parts like this available for new models. I had a set of Mazda 6 headrests (which fit reasonably well) on backorder with a dealer for several months before I gave up and bought a set of JDM pieces from Fendyman on this forum.

To confirm Dmac's statement, exactly like the 2nd picture. Contour is lovely and super comfortable.

Has anyone had any luck fitting the back-seat Mazda 6 headrests to the CX5? I had read elsewhere that the CX5 rear-seat headrests have different mounting-rod diameters (smaller) than the front, and so do not fit well. I wonder if this is also the case for the Mazda 6 headrests, or if everything is fine.

Thanks!

Have you tried rear head rests from a Mazda 3? They fit great on my CX-5.
The part number is BLE3-88-240 02. I ordered them from Med Center Mazda. See the link at the top of this page.
The cost $165 shipped.
IMGP9375.jpg

IMGP9372.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried rear head rests from a Mazda 3? They fit great on my CX-5.
The part number is BLE3-88-240 02. I ordered them from Med Center Mazda. See the link at the top of this page.
The cost $165 shipped.
IMGP9375.jpg

IMGP9372.jpg

For a pair or each?

See this thread which has 480 posts so far and learn how to order a CX-5 non-US version JDM rear seat headrests with the best possible price. The price has been coming down from $330 a pair via an Australian Mazda dealer, to $220 a pair from a member brought back from Japan. Recently I found Japanparts.com can get them for $150~$170 depending on shipping method and exchange rate. Or if you could, go to Taipei and get a pair directly from Mazda dealer for only $95~$105!

So many options...
Not really. Early on I tried a pair from a 3 and found that they really didn't fit perfectly. They stick out from the seat about .5-.75". I ventually got a pair of JDM headrests from Fendyman here and they fit likie they were made for the CX-5 (because they were!). Apparently the seat backs are a little thicker on the crossover.

Not really. Early on I tried a pair from a 3 and found that they really didn't fit perfectly. They stick out from the seat about .5-.75". I ventually got a pair of JDM headrests from Fendyman here and they fit likie they were made for the CX-5 (because they were!). Apparently the seat backs are a little thicker on the crossover.

So the head rest from the 3 doesn't fit?? The member from the posts above shows that it fits. Perhaps it was a different year? I'm gonna do more reading on the other thread.

So the head rest from the 3 doesn't fit?? The member from the posts above shows that it fits. Perhaps it was a different year? I'm gonna do more reading on the other thread.
Yeah if you read all 480+ posts in that thread, which I did, you'd understand what paris1 was talking about. Headrests from US Mazda3 and CX-3 fit but not perfectly. You can stick two metal bars in the seatback whereas the US version low-profile headrests from Mazda6 can't even stick the metal bars in, as the distance between two metal bars are different. The headrest pillow padding from Mazda3 simply has different shape and size from CX-5's JDM headrest pillow padding.

Ok. Whether they fit or not is a matter of personal taste. Do they fit with the precision of a fine Swiss watch? Ehh, no, but they fit GE. Good enough for me. GE=good enough.

Ok. Whether they fit or not is a matter of personal taste. Do they fit with the precision of a fine Swiss watch? Ehh, no, but they fit GE. Good enough for me. GE=good enough.
Most definitely! As long as you're happy, who cares! There were some people swore we shouldn't use these low-profile headrests as they consider these are dangerous!

Most definitely! As long as you're happy, who cares! There were some people swore we shouldn't use these low-profile headrests as they consider these are dangerous!

They're not dangerous with zero passengers in the rear seats. But they don't extend as high as the stock headrests. I wouldn't recommend them for regularly carrying passengers shorter [oops! that should be taller!] than 5'8" in the back seat because the centre of the headrest is below the centre of the head for taller passengers, which does present a danger in certain types of collision.

Last edited:
Back