2017~2024 CX-5 Doors not closing as smoothly/easily on new purchase

The thought crossed my mind that the doors both,

- have more sealing for sound insluation
- more door reinforcement for better side collision safety

I like that it does so good from a 38mph side impact.

I predict the combination of the two improvements above created the tougher to close door that the engineers didn't fix because,
A. ran out of time before it could be released, or
B. redesign costs would push the MSRP too high

or both..

I've designed products for the market, and can understand the common problem of, not having enough time to refine the product as much as you'd like.
Rarely in engineering products, do you release something that is perfect in your eyes. Time restricts you, budget resetricts you, or marketing department restricts you.

At some point the question is asked,

"Is it good enough?"

Is it really that big of a deal that some people feel unhappy that it takes a slightly more effort to close the doors? i honestly never felt this was an issue :/

Aren't most vehicles still equipped with those "exhaust" ports that has a rubber flap to prevent outside air from coming in and allow the inside pressure of the vehicle to go out morus specifically when closing doors?

Is it really that big of a deal that some people feel unhappy that it takes a slightly more effort to close the doors? i honestly never felt this was an issue :/
I didn't read anyone bitching. Just asking about it, if it's normal. Unless I missed a post. But you can never please everyone, right? Lol

The thought crossed my mind that the doors both,

- have more sealing for sound insluation
- more door reinforcement for better side collision safety

I like that it does so good from a 38mph side impact.

I predict the combination of the two improvements above created the tougher to close door that the engineers didn't fix because,
A. ran out of time before it could be released, or
B. redesign costs would push the MSRP too high

or both..

I've designed products for the market, and can understand the common problem of, not having enough time to refine the product as much as you'd like.
Rarely in engineering products, do you release something that is perfect in your eyes. Time restricts you, budget resetricts you, or marketing department restricts you.

At some point the question is asked,

"Is it good enough?"

I can totally relate. And things like the feel of a latch can be some of the toughest. Its extremely subjective, probably affected by temperature, humidity, where constituent parts land within their acceptable tolerances, assembly conditions and so forth and so on.

And you only get so many iterations before you need to hard-tool and ship the thing.

From listening to Dave's tech talks, I get the impression that Mazda really cares about details like the feel of the door closing, much more so than is typical for a car company.

I didn't read anyone bitching. Just asking about it, if it's normal. Unless I missed a post. But you can never please everyone, right? Lol

They weren't bitching, just someone not happy that they have to use a bit more force to close the door lol But yeah, can't please everyone lol

Ive got absolutely no doubt that Leedar (OP) was just making an observation and not complaining. In my opinion, its better to need some pressure to make a tight seal rather than it fit like a glove on a ducks foot. The new model has;

Seals across the sill;

IMG_3892.jpg

Double seals across the top of the door;

IMG_3893.jpg

A closed inter door shut;

IMG_3894.jpg

Inner and out seals on the rear doors;

IMG_3895.jpg

Frankly, it works. Driving down a normal road at 40mph is virtually silent apart from a bit of road noise.

First world problems. Haha!

HAHAHA!! 1st class whiners.

We're spoiled, aren't we. Ha...

I'm going to whine again because again I closed the door, and only on the 3rd attempt did I close it fully. Argh.

I'm definitely experiencing the first 10sec of this video every single day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7NejftNvmc

If this was my daily driver and the only vehicle I drive (like I imagine 98% of people here), I would get used to it and adapt.
However, that's not my case. It's my wife's.

I love the truck. Absolutely love it.
But this door makes me say "$^&#%#^%@^@%$#!!!" under my breath every time. Ha..

If anybody has improved the door, please share. I'm going try and figure something out myself, because this will drive me nuts for the next 5-6yrs...
Anchorman, thank you for sharing the photos of the seals. I frequently don't have access to the car as my wife takes it to work and it's been very busy for her lately.

My 2014 definitely does NOT have that kind of sealing.

When I checked out a 2017 at the dealer, I don't recall the door being any harder to close, but that was just a few open/closes.

I got out of my daughters c class today and took two attempts to close it, I wasn't impressed with the lower interior plastics either.

My car cost half as much and compares favourably with all the c class cars she's had, E and S class or on a different level, and price range.

I got out of my daughters c class today and took two attempts to close it, I wasn't impressed with the lower interior plastics either.

My car cost half as much and compares favourably with all the c class cars she's had, E and S class or on a different level, and price range.

I was out on a new E Class the other night. It had a good dash display - all CGI thing but I was rather disappointed. Getting in the CX5 was delightful when I got back. The merc was like a tin can and all hard plastic.

My 2014 definitely does NOT have that kind of sealing.

When I checked out a 2017 at the dealer, I don't recall the door being any harder to close, but that was just a few open/closes.

It wouldn't as it was emphasised that this extra seals were added to aid (along with other measures) the interior to be more quieter

It wouldn't as it was emphasised that this extra seals were added to aid (along with other measures) the interior to be more quieter

Oh I know, I was more just commenting that I didn't notice the door being any harder to close (and personally did not have any issues).

But again, was only a few open/closes. (shrug)

Oh I know, I was more just commenting that I didn't notice the door being any harder to close (and personally did not have any issues).

But again, was only a few open/closes. (shrug)

Or maybe work out?

(Kidding)

Maybe for those persons who think it is difficult to close, maybe Mazda can retrofit self closing electric door mechanisms that one finds on S-Class Mercs (wink)

Or just be content at how well the car is made. Luxury cars like Bentley’s get a satisfying thud because the door weighs half a ton and overcomes any resistance the seals put up.

Or just be content at how well the car is made. Luxury cars like Bentley’s get a satisfying thud because the door weighs half a ton and overcomes any resistance the seals put up.

Exactly. Can't please everyone!

Back