CX-5 AWD GT + Curt Class III hitch + Harbor Freight fordable trailer

Rhizome

:
CX5 GT AWD
Not sure which sub forum to post this, so sorry about that.

I have a HF folding trailer, rated for about 1099 lbs capacity. Before getting the CX-5, I usually tow it with a borrowed SUV. Now that I have the CX-5, I plan to install a Curt Class III hitch (seems to be the popular choice here) and tow the HF trailer. I use the trailer to haul sheet goods, tiller, lawn mower, dead sod, etc. I haven't gotten any where near the 1099 lbs capacity. But...I plan to haul 40 of 80-lbs concrete bags from HD for a shed foundation. In case you're wondering, I plan to do 4 trips (10 bags/trip; 800 lbs/trip). Is this something the CX-5 can handle with the mentioned accessories?

Not sure which sub forum to post this, so sorry about that.

I have a HF folding trailer, rated for about 1099 lbs capacity. Before getting the CX-5, I usually tow it with a borrowed SUV. Now that I have the CX-5, I plan to install a Curt Class III hitch (seems to be the popular choice here) and tow the HF trailer. I use the trailer to haul sheet goods, tiller, lawn mower, dead sod, etc. I haven't gotten any where near the 1099 lbs capacity. But...I plan to haul 40 of 80-lbs concrete bags from HD for a shed foundation. In case you're wondering, I plan to do 4 trips (10 bags/trip; 800 lbs/trip). Is this something the CX-5 can handle with the mentioned accessories?

Sounds good. My sig has a good thread in it.

I can't find a wiring harness designed for the 2015 CX-5 GT with Tech. What are you using?

I can't find a wiring harness designed for the 2015 CX-5 GT with Tech. What are you using?

That trailer harness should work just fine. I pretty sure the lights are the same. The "unpowered" hooks into your taillights, and the powered hooks right into the babbery. There is actually a good write up by a guy named howlin4u for a clean wiring installation. I used that guide, and put some of that tubing you get at autozone around the wires (the only thing he did not do, but I think it's a good idea). Looks pro and not ghetto with wires hanging and s***. I bought everything he said and it was all relevant. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ly-install-a-Non-Factory-CX-5-Trailer-Harness btw I use a curt class 3 hitch #C13127. It also fits with the corksport exhaust. the racing beat one should fit too.

Last edited:
I have the same foldable trailer and used my CX5 to pull 1/2 ton "goose egg" sized river rocks from the stone yard to my house - maybe 5 miles away up and down hills. No problems at all. The most important things is to go slow down hills and go easy on the brakes.

I have the same foldable trailer and used my CX5 to pull 1/2 ton "goose egg" sized river rocks from the stone yard to my house - maybe 5 miles away up and down hills. No problems at all. The most important things is to go slow down hills and go easy on the brakes.

Thanks Jonesey! I find the HF trailer very useful and am looking forward to towing it with my own vehicle instead of troubling a friend, who has been more than happy to help.

Back