CX-5 and CX-9 use same OEM air filter?

Hi,

I interested in buying the sprint air filter due to concerns that the engine might sucking in hot air if using an open type air filter.

Checking their website, the air filter is only available for CX-5. Does anyone know whether the air filter for CX-5 and CX-9 are the same?

Is the P/N PY8W133A0 for both cars?

Thanks you for the help.

A quick Google search of the part number you provided shows that PY8W133A0 can be used on 2.5T equipped CX-5s (2019+), CX-9s (2016+), and Mazda6s (2018+).

In the future, it would help to specify the model year and trim/spec of the vehicle(s).

FWIW, I've had the Corksport air intake on my CX-9 for about 2 years with zero issues.

Upvote 0
A quick Google search of the part number you provided shows that PY8W133A0 can be used on 2.5T equipped CX-5s (2019+), CX-9s (2016+), and Mazda6s (2018+).

In the future, it would help to specify the model year and trim/spec of the vehicle(s).

FWIW, I've had the Corksport air intake on my CX-9 for about 2 years with zero issues.
Hi Sm1ke, thanks for the confirmation. There is couple things in my consideration about using an open filter type of air filter.. I lived in an all year hot climate where in summer temp can reach as high as 35 celcius degree and it is quite dusty as well. And compare with my diesel truck, I think Mazda engine is way more hotter.

Upvote 0
H, what is your goal? In your "quite dusty" climate you need excellent filtration. The only way so-called high performance filters can pass more air is with bigger openings which also passes more dirt. In any case, the restriction of any and every filter is not a problem except at wide open throttle and high rpms. In other circumstances either the throttle butterfly is doing its job of restricting air flow, or the air isn't flowing fast enough to be limited by restriction in the induction system.

Upvote 0
H, what is your goal? In your "quite dusty" climate you need excellent filtration. The only way so-called high performance filters can pass more air is with bigger openings which also passes more dirt. In any case, the restriction of any and every filter is not a problem except at wide open throttle and high rpms. In other circumstances either the throttle butterfly is doing its job of restricting air flow, or the air isn't flowing fast enough to be limited by restriction in the induction system.
Hi PTguy.. the goal is to get more air of course. But am afraid if using an open type air filter will also suck the hot air and dust as well. As I mention earlier I lived in a hot climate and dusty area. And also did you feel it that CX-9 engine is actually hotter than some car? I have a Honda and mitsubishi diesel truck, and it is not as hot as the CX-9. I still can touch the hood in other car, but not the CX-9.

Upvote 0
Hi Sm1ke, thanks for the confirmation. There is couple things in my consideration about using an open filter type of air filter.. I lived in an all year hot climate where in summer temp can reach as high as 35 celcius degree and it is quite dusty as well. And compare with my diesel truck, I think Mazda engine is way more hotter.

Echoing what @PTguy wrote. If you live in a dusty climate, it's probably better to stick with an OEM panel filter. IME the heat is not an issue. I live in a hot, somewhat humid climate where temps hit 35c every summer. My car sits in an uncovered parking lot all day, then I have a 35-45 minute commute home on highways and residential roads. The engine does run a little hotter than others, but I have read that this is to help prevent oil/fuel dilution. The addition of a turbocharger will also contribute to the ambient heat under the hood.

If you decide that you want an aftermarket filter anyway, I would suggest getting a used oil analysis done after putting some miles on the car to ensure that the filter isn't letting too many contaminants into the engine. If it is, you might want to consider a shorter oil change interval.

Upvote 0
Back