CX-5 6MT Sport (2014) - feedback requested

Thanks tkm for the CR-V feedback. I went to the auto show but focused more on 3-row CUVs and minivans and my time in the CR-V was minimal. I'll definitely be driving it before any final decision in made, but I've felt there's been something missing from every car I've owned since my last manual transmission in 2007. Maybe it's the manual.

Hopefully the CX-5 will be the right combination of utility and enjoyment. As much as I'd like one optioned up more like a Touring, I tell myself the lack of any options and only 3 colors means at least they have less stuff to go wrong and more likely any 6MT on the lot would be what I'd want. It will cost more, but adding tint, fog lights, and some other features can at least be accomplished. The Advanced Keyless Entry, 40/20/40 premium cloth bench, and even rear-view camera are likely beyond what would be reasonable to modify after purchase though.

I have a CX-5 Sport 6 speed. I was considering getting the automatic but after driving one I couldn't do it. My last two cars have been sticks and I felt lost with an automatic. With the manual the 2.0L to me feels like it has enough power and I feel like I have more control. If I need to accelerate faster I just hold the gears longer if I want to drive for economy I just shift sooner. The automatic felt like a big underpowered golf cart. The manual feels so smooth and it shifts so effortlessly that I sometimes reach to shift it into another gear only to realize that I'm already in 6th. Since this is my first 6 speed the only issue that I'm having is that reverse is in the wrong spot.

Since it was brought up...how does the 6MT 2.0 cruise @ 70-75mph or so?

And yes, part of the appeal of the 6MT with the 2.0 is being able to zing it to redline (which is higher than that of the 2.5).

And the Sport is just such a freaking good value for the money. It also shouldn't lose as much $$$ over the years as a more expensive version will.
You will have serious trouble selling a crossover with a manual once you decide to get rid of it. It isn't commonly offered because basically nobody wants it. I daily drive a 6MT GTI, but there is no way I'm getting a manual family SUV.

You will have serious trouble selling a crossover with a manual once you decide to get rid of it. It isn't commonly offered because basically nobody wants it. I daily drive a 6MT GTI, but there is no way I'm getting a manual family SUV.

Subaru owners have zero problems selling their crossovers/wagons with a manual transmission (and quite a few are equipped that way). I don't see it being a problem.

This is not necessarily true. As car manufacturers are more and more reluctant to build manual cars. You could be supplying something that the market is not, thus driving the value up. Demand is low with regards to the whole market, but the supply is even lower.

The ratio between supply and demand is what's important, not the amount of demand.

I have owned and sold several manual SUVs, including Escapes and Explorers. I never had trouble attracting buyers.
Like NinjaNoises indicated, the market is tight which sometimes increases the desirability among those seeking a manual. You might not get much interest at the local car lot, but in the internet age, you can attract the seekers. There are many manual enthusiasts who routinely do "fly-and-buy" Ebay purchases to obtain otherwise uninteresting vehicles (like SUVs/crossovers).

I have a CX-5 Sport 6 speed. I was considering getting the automatic but after driving one I couldn't do it. My last two cars have been sticks and I felt lost with an automatic. With the manual the 2.0L to me feels like it has enough power and I feel like I have more control. If I need to accelerate faster I just hold the gears longer if I want to drive for economy I just shift sooner. The automatic felt like a big underpowered golf cart. The manual feels so smooth and it shifts so effortlessly that I sometimes reach to shift it into another gear only to realize that I'm already in 6th. Since this is my first 6 speed the only issue that I'm having is that reverse is in the wrong spot.

I agree...I really like revving it to 7K+ in 2nd, it's very satisfying....or I could drive it eco-style - that's the great thing about a manual

I agree...I really like revving it to 7K+ in 2nd, it's very satisfying....or I could drive it eco-style - that's the great thing about a manual

I totally agree ..I am loving it so so much ... That feeling of control over the power band of the car and the throttle response as well. As you said , it can be driven economically (which i do occasionally then the engine note makes me forget about that) but then again where would the fun be in doing so.

Latest posts

Back