CV Axle for a MSP?

wmoesser

:
2003 silver MSP
So I had my ball joint go on me and while it blew out it also ripped the passenger CV axle. I replaced the ball joint and got a new CV axle from Autozone. After I put it in I realized they gave me a CV axle with out the ABS ring. I went back to Autozone and they do not spec out an axle with an ABS for the MSP?! Does anyone know what Autozone part number I need to replace my CV axle? I called mazda and all tehy have is a dealer part number and couldn't give me any specs.

Thanks guys

The MSP has special 24mm CV axles. Apparently Napa (only Napa no other parts stores) carries the correct 24mm MSP axles, make sure you get the ones labeled "MP2" sport suspension or something like that. Stock protege axles are 22mm and will fit and work fine if you don't want to mess with finding the larger ones.

Awesome thanks

The MSP has special 24mm CV axles. Apparently Napa (only Napa no other parts stores) carries the correct 24mm MSP axles, make sure you get the ones labeled "MP2" sport suspension or something like that. Stock protege axles are 22mm and will fit and work fine if you don't want to mess with finding the larger ones.

Don't have them in hand yet, but Autozone can get them as well. They are part number 10458 and 10459. Ironically, if you search under Mazdaspeed, they dont come up. But if you search under a standard Protege they show up in the list of options. Look for manual trans, w/ABS and MPS2 suspension. The are frequently out of stock completely (meaning you have to send them in and have them reworked) .... but I should have twon in hand tomorrow. I'll repost it there are any issues.

You can knock off the ABS ring on your old axles and slip them on the new ones. That's what I did with my wheel bearing at least.

Also, did it just tear up the boot or actually mess up the joint? I'd trust OEM axles over Autozone axles any day, so if you can get away with just replacing the boot, it'll save you some money.

Since the boots are the diameter of the axle on the inside they don't slide over the joint to be replaced. You actually have to dismantle the CV joint, put the new boot on and re-assemble the joint. I read the service instructions on it but figured it would be easier to buy a new axle. I just did this on my other car because I tore the CV boot on it last year and my RTV patch job finally gave out. Of course, while installing it, I ripped the ball joint boot. The great circle of life.

Just a warning, if you go to autozone and select cv axles for the 20L turbo motor, you will get the wrong axle! No ABS ring and the old ring will not fit!

Wrong. Any parts store that carries Empi or SurTrak axles will have an MSP specific axle with the oiling grooves and ABS refluctor ring.

and it seems like neither NAPA nor auto zone can get the A1-cardone and dorman ones these days. I just got the EMPI passenger side one and it is correct. 28mm axles even. however since it only mates to the half shaft and not the transmission like the drives side, I can't comment on any oiling grooves.

Last edited:
and it seems like neither NAPA nor auto zone can get the A1-cardone and dorman ones these days. I just got the EMPI passenger side one and it is correct. 28mm axles even. however since it only mates to the half shaft and not the transmission like the drives side, I can't comment on any oiling grooves.

The oiling grooves won't matter on that side because they are on the intermediate shaft.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back