cutting springs

jbass

:
mazda3
I saw someone on an other forum that cut his stock springs in order to lower is car? Is it difficult to do and what are the negative aspects of doing this??? I have progress springs and I find them a little bit too hig,,,

from expierence......i would NOT cut springs its hard to make the the same.... and it rides like crap!!!!

yea it rides so bad and youll never get them cut them same. Ive done it with a plasma cutter and it was still a b****. I HIGHLY suggest not doing it.

you ever see those people driving around with their lowered civics, accords, camrys, or other cars that bounce around a lot and never seem to ride smooth?

believe those are people who cut their springs and cause that terrible bouncing action.....

they also have to be cut perfect and can never get returned to stock height without purchasing new ones.....

just buy new springs and get the car re-aligned after installation....car will look and have a nice smooth ride....

my $.02

Protege52003 said:
you ever see those people driving around with their lowered civics, accords, camrys, or other cars that bounce around a lot and never seem to ride smooth?

believe those are people who cut their springs and cause that terrible bouncing action.....

they also have to be cut perfect and can never get returned to stock height without purchasing new ones.....

just buy new springs and get the car re-aligned after installation....car will look and have a nice smooth ride....

my $.02

I agree.. and disagree at the same time.
It's true, that most people who cut springs cut them so low that the car rides like on the bump stops "bouncy bouncy bouncy"

Or they don't cut them evenly...

However, years ago, when I had no cash and wanted a lowered car, I cut a few rungs off the coild of my civic and then used an oxy-acentalene torch to re-shape the ends back as close to original as possible and then re-installed them.

was a 2" drop.. and the car rode exactly how it did originally, but was 2 inches lower... handled only slightly better due to the lower center of gravity.

One more thing... that was a $1900.00 car that was 13 years old.

Having said that. Anyone who has a Mazda3, should be able to either fork out the cost of springs, or wait and save.

Springs do range in price quite a bit...
before you cut them, consider buying a set of the cheaper ones...
Like $142.95 CAD from Canuck Motorsports

cut springs, rofl, that's for civics with people who are trying to save like 200 bucks....don't listen to someone telling you they can ride like stock, that WILL NEVER happen, i don't care what someone says...

AAAHHHHHHHHHHH... No no no no no. That is sooooo rice. your not a honda, save the money and get some teins.

Frank

djltoronto said:
However, years ago, when I had no cash and wanted a lowered car, I cut a few rungs off the coild of my civic and then used an oxy-acentalene torch to re-shape the ends back as close to original as possible and then re-installed them.
umm that will not matter, when you cut the springs like that, it changes the spring rate, resulting in the car will NEVER ride how it did before, i don't care what you do after you cut the spring it won't be the same...

mp5jeff said:
umm that will not matter, when you cut the springs like that, it changes the spring rate, resulting in the car will NEVER ride how it did before, i don't care what you do after you cut the spring it won't be the same...
Your right...
Cutting a spring increases the spring rate... But not by much.

So the cut springs will be slightly stiffer than stock. This is what most people are aiming for anyway... Shorter and stiffer springs!

The use of the Oxy Acetelene torch was only to get the spring to sit properly in the rubber mount at the top of the shock tower.

cutting springs is simply a cheapass way to lower a car. IMO do not lower a car at all if this is the method on which you plan on using...hell im still using stock springs up front in my car! sord of looks lowered, lol.(ps. put stiff coil overs in back and left stock springs up front to help with my launches)

mp5jeff said:
cutting springs is simply a cheapass way to lower a car. IMO do not lower a car at all if this is the method on which you plan on using...hell im still using stock springs up front in my car! sord of looks lowered, lol.(ps. put stiff coil overs in back and left stock springs up front to help with my launches)

I agree...
Cutting springs is a cheapass way of lowering a car and should be reserved for cheapass cars... Hyundai excels... old civics.. etc...

Anyone who can afford a 3, should have the common sense to modify it tastefully

nooo if you cheap the goldlines will be out at the end of the month for $140

first of all...NO NO NO cutting springs here...not good...
Maybe for a happy medium...Are the clamp-down sets for lowering the car (when you clamp 2 or more loops of the spring down) worth it? are they good? could hurt my driving? recommend it?...

Maybe this answers shoud give the guy (s) a happy medium from cutting to buying springs...

Thanks all..

PRBOY3

prboy3 said:
first of all...NO NO NO cutting springs here...not good...
Maybe for a happy medium...Are the clamp-down sets for lowering the car (when you clamp 2 or more loops of the spring down) worth it? are they good? could hurt my driving? recommend it?...

Maybe this answers shoud give the guy (s) a happy medium from cutting to buying springs...

Thanks all..

PRBOY3

Happy medium = buy cheap springs.
142.95 CAD = 119.241 USD ..... that's pretty cheap.

IMO the clamps are worse than cutting!!

No and NO. It can be very dangerous, what's a few hundred bucks for something done right vs. risking a car accident?

Back