custom fmic install

djdanny5000

Contributor
:
2007 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Retired: 2002 Protege 5
So i finished installing the custom fmic kit from altered customs and i couldnt get the bumper to fit right. I had to take the bottom fin piece off and cut pieces of the fog light housing to get it on. I've seen others with the same setup and it looks like the intercooler fits in the bumper better. Where are you guys mounting the intercooler is what i would like to know. Are you guys putting it right under the crash bar or behind it? Heres a picture of how mine looks

Attachments

• Photo0360.jpg
    Photo0360.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 2,038
what up joel, yeah i gotta get a new tune though cause it's cutting now with the fmic.

mazda speed are you saying you have to cut the crash bar a little bit to get the fmic to sit higher?

ok i dont have to completely cut it do i just cut about half of it so i can have the intercooler sit up higher correct?

Ask Boostedspd6s he installed one.

I have a protege, but I have a altered FMIC and cutting is needed. Check the threads for a how to or install thread

Last edited:
i have the 27x6x3.5 intercooler and looks like i'll be cutting the crash bar. I got a buddy that might be helping me out tonight so hopefully i can get it to fit correctly

Same intercooler I have. You HAVE to cut half of the crashbar. Make sure you have a fresh blade. Took me an hour to cut through this hard steel!

If you don't mind me asking danny, how long did the install take? I almost jumped on the altered custom kits when they came out but decided to get the ETS 3.25 TMIC due to the length of install. Still interested in it though if performs well, and install is not as bad.

Thanks Qwik 6, i was looking at your pictures trying to figure out how you mounted yours and didnt realise that you had cut the crash bar. What did you use to cut it?

Eyedea it really didnt take to long, taking off the bumper was quick and easy and then running the pipes was very simple. I would say you can probably get it done in about 4-5 hours if you have all the right tools you need.

Took me like 30 hours. :( I had my parts list mixed up and was trying to figure out how to make everything line up and work. Also did a lot of cutting to get more air flow to the radiator. You will also find yourself trimming a lot from the fog light area. I used a reciprocating saw to cut the frame. A grinder would probably do much better but would make for a lot of metal flying on your car.

Also make sure you use something to hold your tubes over the valve cover/IM down so that it isn't rubbing on the hood. In my case I just used 2 black zip ties.

What did you do for the washer tank?

Well i havent had any issues with the pipes rubbing the hood and right now i'm running with no washer tank. I hardly ever used it so figured why bother putting it back on. I did do some cutting of the foglight housing which took some time i forgot about that. i'd give it maybe 7-8 hours by the time you're done cutting everything. I wish you were closer to me qwik 6 so you could have helped me out a bit with the install.

What did you do for the washer tank?

Was my next question. Haha. What I have seen is that people just relocate the washer tank to the trunk or use a smaller battery and squeeze in a smaller washer tank somewhere around there.

Same intercooler I have. You HAVE to cut half of the crashbar. Make sure you have a fresh blade. Took me an hour to cut through this hard steel!

WTF?! I swear i have read numerous times that you do not have to cut the crash bar unless you go bigger than 8"... this sucks. I have an altered customs fmic in the mail as we speak.. Cutting the crash bar might be ok for a 12 yr old beater car, but it will kill all resale value of this car. damnit. is there any way around this?

WTF?! I swear i have read numerous times that you do not have to cut the crash bar unless you go bigger than 8"... this sucks. I have an altered customs fmic in the mail as we speak.. Cutting the crash bar might be ok for a 12 yr old beater car, but it will kill all resale value of this car. damnit. is there any way around this?

you could always remove the FMIC when you try and resell the car and just replace the bumper support/crash guard

I thought the same thing which is why i got the 6" intercooler, i really dont care about cutting the crash bar but it sucks cause now i have to take the time to cut it. There is some confusion with the kit. I'm wondering how the cp-e and corksport fmic's sit?

I thought the same thing which is why i got the 6" intercooler, i really dont care about cutting the crash bar but it sucks cause now i have to take the time to cut it. There is some confusion with the kit. I'm wondering how the cp-e and corksport fmic's sit?

They sit behind the crashbar. Half is covered by it which seems odd for air to be able to pass through it.

But you just cut half the crashbar. Dont cut the whole thing!! You could always keep the piece you cut and weld it back on if you sold the car.

Back