custom e-tune suggestions

SMOKEYS36SHOP

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 6
ok i got a question. since adding the Stage2+TIHMSCAI 93 v102 the car seems to be ok. now i know im not getting full potential with this map but i feel it to be some what safe. now i was offered by both surgeline and cobb to get an e-tune ..if anyone has gotten an e-tune which company have you gone through and how were your experiences?...just trying to make sure i make the right choice in choosing a tuner... thanks guys

or should i stick with what i have and be happy with my new power mod?

Last edited:
ok i got a question. since adding the Stage2+TIHMSCAI 93 v102 the car seems to be ok. now i know im not getting full potential with this map but i feel it to be some what safe. now i was offered by both surgeline and cobb to get an e-tune ..if anyone has gotten an e-tune which company have you gone through and how were your experiences?...just trying to make sure i make the right choice in choosing a tuner... thanks guys

or should i stick with what i have and be happy with my new power mod?

Either place should give you a decent tune if you follow the data-logging directions. I got an E-tune from Christian at Cobb and very happy with it.

ok so i purchased a e-tune through surgeline yesterday. he said it would take a week or so to get to my map due to him be back logged ..so in the mean time i will still be using the map i have right now which is the Stage2+TIHMSCAI 93 v102..right now my kr levels when i accelerate can get as high as 1.5 to 3.0 but its not all the time...the only weird thing i see is when i go to shift and my hybrid bov flutters at low boost my kr goes up to 5.0 to 6.0 for a split second..i dont get it....but its happened a few times when i baby the car while driving. any suggestions...i still dont understand fully what can happen or what kinda damage i am doing to my car when i see levels like this ..all i know is safe kr levels are anything under 1.0...can someone help me?

here is a few logs i did yesterday. i have already driven over 50 miles. this is using the Stage2+TIHMSCAI 93 v102..tell me what you think..only problem i am seeing which i didnt log is when i decelerate and my bov flutters at not enough boost is when i see kr levels of 3.5-5.5

Attachments

• Datalog1.pdf
    50.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Datalog4.pdf
    40.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Datalog6.pdf
    35.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Datalog7.pdf
    38.9 KB · Views: 138
I suggest trying the Stage2 93 MSCAI instead of any of the TIH maps. The decelerating knock and upper-rpm knock that you're seeing with it are both not good, and frequent for everyone that uses them.

They are a new map that Cobb put out on the market, but I don't know anyone who has successfully used them without having high knock.

dude its over 3 hours to get there...thats what surgeline told me to do first..i just dont want to have to drive down and have to go back if something is wrong...its hard for me to get out of work to go..i would love to but i think the easiest thing was for me to get a surgeline tune..right now i am waiting on tim to make one for me..im on a waiting list..should take by the end of next week to get to me hopefully

theyre open on weekends did you give them a call? its worth the drive, believe me. he's got 4 gtr's hes workin on now. one guy actually paid to have his gtr shipped from out west to be tuned by him. its that serious lol. one of the highest hp speed3s is running his tune with a stock bottom end, no worries :)

I run the stage 1 91 tihsf map and i get 0.0-1.5 knock depending on the weather and if i am running 91 or 93 octane.

gar, like i said, i dont trust e-tunes. but its up to you what u do. 3 hours isnt that bad. more like 2 and a half from us. see its different when u can tune your own ride, but i understand that u cant. but if your gonna pay for a custom tune, just do it in person. i luck out, i do all my own tuninfg, but thats not the fact for some people. if you want me to go with u i will, but i wont be back home till the 28th as u know

well....looks like i will be canceling my e-tune today and tomorrow will be making an appointment with akuma to get a tune/dyno done since there not open on mondays! excited yet nervous.

well....looks like i will be canceling my e-tune today and tomorrow will be making an appointment with akuma to get a tune/dyno done since there not open on mondays! excited yet nervous.

DOnt be nervous bro. I understand why you are ,but dont be. Getting an "in person" tune is the best way to truly mmaximise gains. Especially for the 6 because our cars are so finicky and all react differently to the same things.

Depending on when u go, if im not working or busy...illl roll with u if u want the company

Off subject and don't mean to threadjack.

I see a lot of videos where cars go kaboom on the dyno, is this due to dyno shop neglegence? And is it kind of use at your own risk type deal, where if it does go kaboom, your SOL?

I see a lot of videos where cars go kaboom on the dyno, is this due to dyno shop neglegence? And is it kind of use at your own risk type deal, where if it does go kaboom, your SOL?

cars go kaboom when theyre making stupid amounts of power, the tuner did something wrong, theres something wrong with the car mechanically etc. yes you sign a waiver saying you understand the risks and they arent liable. now if a strap breaks and your car goes flying off the dyno into the wall, you have a case

That is a touchy situation. With any tuning not done by yourself ,you are ultimately putting you cars wellbeing in someone eles hands. That can be a good or a bad thing.

the good is if the person tuning your car has an understanding of the limits of the particualar motr. Not thats hard to find now ad days with the mazda 6, speed or non speed, be
the mazda 6 is in no way a common car to mod even if you own a speed. The speed is just now recently getting a lot of attention.

if you go to a shop expressing you want to mae power...thats typically what they will do and only that and really wont take into consideration the longevity of the motor at hand.

dont get me wrong any type of modding can essentially shorten the life of the motor in question regardless of how good the tune is. Especially with boost. Of course that is an accepted tradeoff to modders.

The reason you are almsot SOL on a dyno is because of the increased chance of something going wwrong. Whether the motor was already on its way out or it was 100% healthy and something let loose.

now there are certain instances where neglignece can car something to pop. Over revving....to extreme of a change to the tune at one time. And etc.

ITs honsestly a crapshoot with dynos. Also keep in mind that every single dyno outside of a dynapak puts un normal added stress on components due to the extra load of strapping the vehicle down. I have seen that cause problems as well.

If the tuner is competant and knows what they are doing i would like to say your safe, but again i say its a crap shoot.

I personally do all my tuning myself for every car i ahve every built and only usued the dyno to get numbers not for tuning.

and i know some people wont agree with that method...but it hasnt failed me yet. Only diffference between dyno tuning and street tuning is on the dyno you are stationary and the street the car is moving. Then people will say you cant see what ur changes do without a dyno. Feel works just as good. I wont go into that tho.

Anyway...dyno or street tuning both are a crap shoot with something breaking. Neither is either more or less than the other. But i 100% reccomend having the person tuning your car be in the presence of the car whether you or someone else is doing. I dont believe in mail order tuning. You can take that for what its worht.

Back