Custom Cam Specs, your opinion.

Speed3.5 said:
i back you up on this project

what range of rpm's are you looking for mid-topend range ??

how much will they run for you ??

I would like to have power from about 4000 to redline.
And I'm paying $625 for them.

ItsSlow said:
If I end up keeping the car I might look into this.. Also, would upgraded valvetrain be needed with these cams? Or would they work fine with the stock equipment?

I would like to upgrade the springs to the Eibach ones, and I need to find who sells upgraded retainers, guides, and seals.

Pirana said:
Would be interested in this find too.

I think cometic has a gasket set, Im pretty sure it includes the valve seals. So the only things left are the guides and the retainers.

MSP's are so unique every part is pretty much custom. He he

Well I ordered my cams today. It will take about two weeks to make. I decided to go with a set of 268/268 cams. Integral has been amazing, Im not lying when i say that I have asked them over a thousand questions. I will keep you guys posted, Im not yet sure if im going to be installing the cams right away, or wait until i rebuild the engine and do it then.

Pirana said:
Are they regrinding yours or did you send them blanks?

Neither,they are using their own cam billets and then grinding them to my specs.

Did you find any info on the retainers, im still searching and asking around?

dude how can i get some of these cams? why dont you talk to your "people" and see if they can produce more of these? i ,for one, think more MSP owners would be interested.

03.5MSP said:
Neither,they are using their own cam billets and then grinding them to my specs.

Did you find any info on the retainers, im still searching and asking around?

me too, I'm also trying to find a good deal on retainers, Ferrea perhaps. Maybe if we get enough people interested they can gives a GB price..?

marko, those cams sound nice, how aggresive are they?

edit: just read the 1st post, they sound great. How long until you get them?

Last edited:
sandspeed said:
me too, I'm also trying to find a good deal on retainers, Ferrea perhaps. Maybe if we get enough people interested they can gives a GB price..?

marko, those cams sound nice, how aggresive are they?

edit: just read the 1st post, they sound great. How long until you get them?

Two weeks. I know Vic was also looking into the springs and retainers.
We have three people interested. He he

_MSprotegy said:
dude how can i get some of these cams? why dont you talk to your "people" and see if they can produce more of these? i ,for one, think more MSP owners would be interested.

Just contact Integral Cams, and talk to the guys there. They are really nice and will work with you to get you what you want.

http://www.integralcams.com

Unfortunately, Integral ran into some issues. Their cam billets dont have enough material to grind a 268/268 cam profile. So Im trying to figure out if we can do it from the AWR blanks. Ill keep you guys posted on what happens.

well I will be getting a set of custom cams made. Integral will pretty much make me a cam from a full round bar, and then grind it to the 268/268 profile.
Here is some pics of what the cams will look like.

Attachments

• miata_billettofinished.jpg
    miata_billettofinished.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 179
  • bmw-n52.jpg
    bmw-n52.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 163
i'll be watching this thread, depending on you numbers i will most likely order the same cams, 268/268 sounds like a very good all around cams for turboed engines, hopefully these cams will be as good as the evos 272/272 cams. I know that ams evo is runing 272/272 cams and put down a little over 1000awhp. Its good that you are not running a higher lift cam, great for a n/a engine, but it is better for turboed engine to have more duration with a smaller lift, than a higher lift and short duration.

Im guessing upgraded valvetrain isnt required with these? I know I asked the same question on the 2nd page, but you said you wanted upgraded valvetrain.. So, Im going to take that as a no..

ItsSlow said:
Im guessing upgraded valvetrain isnt required with these? I know I asked the same question on the 2nd page, but you said you wanted upgraded valvetrain.. So, Im going to take that as a no..

Well Steve from Integral said that I dont need to upgrade. But I was going to do it since the head was going to be apart, and it cant hurt to upgrading. But noone makes retainers for our cars, so we will see what happens.

redline7500 said:
i'll be watching this thread, depending on you numbers i will most likely order the same cams, 268/268 sounds like a very good all around cams for turboed engines, hopefully these cams will be as good as the evos 272/272 cams. I know that ams evo is runing 272/272 cams and put down a little over 1000awhp. Its good that you are not running a higher lift cam, great for a n/a engine, but it is better for turboed engine to have more duration with a smaller lift, than a higher lift and short duration.

It dont think its possible to get 1000whp, out of our car. (traction issues aside). Also I didnt want my car to just have power between like 6000-7000rpms. 272/272 is alot for our car, it will pretty much deminish most of the low-end torque. It all comes down to what you want to do with your car. Since my will still be a daily driver, I was looking for the topend power, but i alos want my car to have some low-end kick as well.

yeah there is no way the fs will hold that much besides the 4g63 is by far more superb engine than ours. but having the high duration you will see some good low end power but you'll really see it really kick in around 4500-7500+ all depending on your set up of course. Just as a personal note, upgraded cams and stock valve train set up=bad situations in the future.

I'm glad you decided to do what i suggested and talk to the people that make these things for a living. I was going to do an integral custom setup myself, but the Pro is on the way out. I just picked up a CX7 last night so I have to officially start "growing up". All that really means to me is wait another year or two and buy another MSP gut it, rebuild the engine with forged parts and get really serious with a nasty weekend warrior machine!

Back