Custom CAI / Chiller

neccrixx

Hey guys,
I've been working on a design for a custom CAI with a chiller system. It should be a stand alone system and will work with N/A, Supercharged, and Turboed engines.

My question is:
Will people be interested in this? And if so, what HP Gain (above standard CAI systems) would get peoples heads turned.
I was thinking anywhere from 2-7 HP.

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Oops,
What I meant to say was ADD 2-7 HP to whatever you would get from a regular CAI. and I had some other "tricks" I was thinking of using that might boos that up a little further (say in the 10-14 HP Range).

So assume you have a CAI, and then you upgrade to this system, your gains go like this:

from standard CAI @ 10HP
upgrade to custom CAI/Chiller add 7HP to give 17

From regular intake, upgrade to Custom CAI/Chiller add 17HP

This is all theoretical, of course, but I have high hopes and my calculations seem to be in agreement.

i think it has been proven by dyno results that cai on our car does not gain that much hp 2-4 hp.
wich is nice but not noticeable to your foot.
i dont have any mods on my car because the gains are not there yet.
nos: too many side effects
turbo: too much psi will kill our motors so then whats the sence to do that upgrade if it's not going to produce the hp you want,
and you will have to deal with what you get.
cai: adds a nice roar but does not produce the hp that you really want out of a cold air induction (10-15 hp)
please dont get me wrong i dont meen to bash the products out there for our cars, i just dont see why i would put on a after market part that is supposto gain 10-15 but only does 2-4.
this is my own thoughs on the subject. belive me if i had the loot to buy these product i would if the did what they say. but them again i have a 79 rx 7 to mod balls out.that a cia induction would gain me that 10-15 hp
it's been proven by other rx 7 owners.

can someone tell me what a chiller system is?
sounds interesting

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: Raerae ]

I was not aware that the CAI systems do not produce large HP gains for the MP3. However, I think that the system I am thinking of should be universal for all cars.

BTW, a Chiller is a system that "chills" intake air. The colder the air going to your engine, the more temprature change (delta-T) that occurs during combustion. The higher the Delta-T (in almost any thermodynamic process) the more Work that is done; which gives more Power

The only cars that get 9+hp to the wheels just by adding a CAI are the RSX (10-14whp), WRX (10-15whp), IS300 (8-12whp) there are a few other over course. Most of which are either Turbo's which makes a great deal of sense or are NA and have 200+hp from the factory. Sorry guys, but I'm almost positive that there is no way that we are gonna get another 2-7whp off of the current intakes available. It's just not thinking realistically. If you want to extract the extra power, you're gonna have to look at other parts of the engine, such as exhaust, changing compression, ignition/timing.

I do hope noMODman can prove me wrong and make me eat my words, but unfortunately, I don't think it's gonna happen....no from the intake alone.

Okay, after reading your last post, I'm curious to see what your custom system is composed of and how exactly is it used? You kind of make it sound like it functions like an intercooler on a Turbo'd car. Please give us more details. The cooler the intake air temperature, the hotter you want you sparks plugs to fire, hence the need for an aftermarket ignition system. As the spark gets hotter, the earlier you want that spark to fire, then you'll want the intake valves to stay open longer/higher prior that spark firing. So by cooling the intake charge to make more power, you'll most likely want to change more than a few other things to make more power, especially in an NA setup. So we can get really technical with this if we want, but for the sake of others I'll leave the technical stuff out.

Well I'm not privy to pecific Mazda Engines and the modifications I am talking about are from combustion engine principles, thermodynamics and physics. Of course, each configuration (read: engine) has their own quirks which makes them behave differently from one modification to another. While one config might be starved for air, another might be constricted at the exhaust.

I will certainly continue on my project and see where I end up. I will certainly keep you guys posted.
In the meantime, I would like to continue to get feedback and appreciate the ones I have gotten already.

APEXistud
I would be honored to be in a technical discussion with you. I have read some of your posts on other topics and you seem to be pretty well informed about engines.

However, for the sake of intellectual property I can't get TOO technical about what methods I intend to use to get these results. I can say, though, that the comparison to an intercooler is certainly warrant. Of course, I do not intend to take the temperatures overboard. If I stay within a certain limit, I don't think major modifications to the ignition system should be necessary. Although, at this point in the design phase I can't be sure until I get to testing this.

[Edited for typos]

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: noMODman ]

Originally posted by Raerae:
<STRONG>i think it has been proven by dyno results that cai on our car does not gain that much hp 2-4 hp.
wich is nice but not noticeable to your foot.
i dont have any mods on my car because the gains are not there yet.
nos: too many side effects
turbo: too much psi will kill our motors so then whats the sence to do that upgrade if it's not going to produce the hp you want,
and you will have to deal with what you get.
cai: adds a nice roar but does not produce the hp that you really want out of a cold air induction (10-15 hp)
please dont get me wrong i dont meen to bash the products out there for our cars, i just dont see why i would put on a after market part that is supposto gain 10-15 but only does 2-4.
this is my own thoughs on the subject. belive me if i had the loot to buy these product i would if the did what they say. but them again i have a 79 rx 7 to mod balls out.that a cia induction would gain me that 10-15 hp
it's been proven by other rx 7 owners.

can someone tell me what a chiller system is?
sounds interesting

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: Raerae ]</STRONG>

I agree with you rae......I have been thinking about adding power to my car....If i do it will be when my warranty is up....People put a turbo in thinking they dont have to modify the engine......In order for your car to run well and last you need to redue the engine so it can with stand the turbo.......Also all of these companies say you will add 12 hp with airintake and what not.....they will sit there and say they dyno it.......in the end you wont notice a different because you gained 5hp at the most.....so we all have to be careful what we buy.....I'm not saying dont modify the car because it is a whole lot of fun to do it....I do plan on doing it but i want to wait and see all the products coming out in the next year.....I would love a turbo but i just wont through it in my car.....
late :D :D :D

moMODman, I'm glad you didn't take my post the wrong way. After I posted and went back to work, I was worrying that you might think that I was trying to talk smack or challenge which of course is not the case.

I understand entirely what you're saying about each engine being different. On most of the Hondas I played with, they seemed really choked up when it came to the intake discussion. The stock exhausts on the Hondas are fine. As far as our Mazda motors though, there just isn't enough people (on this board anyway) modding. There's also a shortage of parts available.

I like the fact that you and others on the board are trying new things, doing research and not waiting for aftermarket companies That's what keeps the import scene in general going....Creativity. Keep it up guys.

No probs APEXistud.

It's just tough trying to get anything done when I have a FT Girlfriend, FT Career, and I still gotta work out.

Anyway, I was wondering if any has Dyno results with and without "performance" intake for the MP3 or P5. Not exactly mission critical, but I figure might as well get as much data as possible.

Here ya go Dyno Results. MP3Ben dyno'd his car back in October with a CAI intake on the car. I can't remember if he did a baseline run or not, but I do remember him saying that a P5 with a K&N drop in panel filter ran before him. Hope you can find some usefull info there. ;)

Thanks!

If those assumptions are correct then there was a 4 HP gain. I'm not sure whether or not the direct comparison to the P5 works, but it's a start. So with these as my assumption points, I'll see what I can come up with.

what dose a chiller system looks like, how about you make one then dyno it and then im ight buy it, and how do i make a chiller system or what ever it is, sounds good my bro wants to put it on his car :D

Latest posts

Back