Custom Blue LED HU

Just finished this upgrade to the colour of my HU. Next im going to do gauges.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• DSCN2723.JPG
    DSCN2723.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 1,010
  • DSCN2722.JPG
    DSCN2722.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 947
i always had a thing for blue led's....

i took out the HU and basically took apart the whole thing till i hit the circuit board. My motto is basically, if its got solder, you can change it...

With that in mind i saw all the LED's there and thought it would be fun to change them to blue. I think im going to keep the A/C unit all red and the LCD screen red, as mentioned i am doing the cluster with the dials in soon.

Oh ya my steering wheel is on the wrong side cos i took the picture in a mirror....... JK. Im in South Africa, our roads are opp to yours. I think we drive on the opposite so that the world keeps spinning evenly and not lobsided...think about it carefully......starting to talk rubbish now.... cheers

did you take any pics while you did this mod??? looks nice. I would like to see it all blue guadges HU and ac.

There is a full write-up on another Mazda forum but they don't like it when ya put links to other forums so I can't show ya, I will just have to enjoy it all by my self :)

There is a full write-up on another Mazda forum but they don't like it when ya put links to other forums so I can't show ya, I will just have to enjoy it all by my self :)

can you tinyurl the link here or pm it to me?

+1 to the OP for the mod. When my car gets back I'll have to try this one out. I'm a big fan of the blue led as well and think it would kick ass in a cosmic blue ms3 (cabpatch)

Just finished this upgrade to the colour of my HU. Next im going to do gauges.

What do you guys think?

If you get the chance, see if you can do a write up on this. Nice Work.

It is not going to let me put the URL here so PM me and ask I will send it to you. I don't know how to PM on this board yet.

It is not going to let me put the URL here so PM me and ask I will send it to you. I don't know how to PM on this board yet.

Nah its coo. I am a member of M3F and if I wanted to, I could go over there and research the information myself but that isn't helping this 3section grow. We need more infomation on how to do things for our MZ3/MS3 section.

Last edited:
I got pics, just putting them together in a nice story......

(wow) watch this space........

I agree that we must make this forum grow.....we all use info off it so its only fair to spread the knowledge....

Yea I fully understand that, my whole thing is why re-invent the wheel?? But I understand that you want this forum to grow, I do as well :)

Saw the link you were talking about. Looks like a lot of work but results would be worth it. Those are some tiny led's. I should ask my friend to help me with the solder because he used to do it a lot.

Yea I hear that!! I thought about taking mine out and shipping it to that dude. He could make some money doing that LED thing :) Its going to take some nerve to get the guts up to start that project though :)

I've worked with surface mount components for a long time. So these were not really out of the ordinary. I was actually surprised how easy and yet so effective it was. During the day you cant really see anything but at night it makes up for it. I could do your guys HU no problem however Im in SA, pitty.

Getting my LED's for the gauges today :) will take pics for that too. THe only thing with taken pics is that i thought i had taken step by step only after to find that i hadnt, well i got the difficult ones taken.

I've worked with surface mount components for a long time. So these were not really out of the ordinary. I was actually surprised how easy and yet so effective it was. During the day you cant really see anything but at night it makes up for it. I could do your guys HU no problem however Im in SA, pitty.

Getting my LED's for the gauges today :) will take pics for that too. THe only thing with taken pics is that i thought i had taken step by step only after to find that i hadnt, well i got the difficult ones taken.

is there any way to do a two tone lighting for the gauges? i was thinking blue for the numbers and letters and leaving the ticks stock. is that possible or does one bulb power each section of the gauge?

It is made of a bunch of tiny leds so you can have no problem doing multi color.

Back