Current MSP owner looking at 2012 MS3

IggyPop

:
Titanium MSP
Hello MS3er's. As stated in the title, I am a current MSP owner. Have been since 2003. Bought it brand new. I am at a point where I need to get another car. I have two kids and need something a little bigger and more reliable. Not that the MSP isn't reliable but I just can't worry about things going wrong and not having a warranty. I don't have time anymore to fix things myself. So I what I wanted to know is how you guys like your MS3? Is the car good enough stock? I have to stay away from modding. I spent too much money and time on that. I want to keep my next car bone stock. I am also looking at the Hyundai Sonata turbo. I like it a lot but I have never owned a Hyundai. I have been a Mazda guy my whole life. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

I owned an 09 MS3 for two years and decided I needed to grow up, so I bought a 2011 Camry Se V6 since I work at Toyota and we get a discount..I drove that car for eight month's and I just couldn't take it any longer..it was a great car for the average driver for sure..but it just wasn't for me..now I have a 2011 MS3 that I love as much as my other one thats stock and I think its great that way, Im not saying that I won't mod it later but Im in no hurry. I think you really need to drive both cars and get a good feel for them..I have two kids as well..the MS3 is not the roomiest car for sure but it is managible. I guess my point for my little story is to tell you to get the one that you love, not just the one that you think makes more since..Good luck on your decision. ;)

I owned an 09 MS3 for two years and decided I needed to grow up, so I bought a 2011 Camry Se V6 since I work at Toyota and we get a discount..I drove that car for eight month's and I just couldn't take it any longer..it was a great car for the average driver for sure..but it just wasn't for me..now I have a 2011 MS3 that I love as much as my other one thats stock and I think its great that way, Im not saying that I won't mod it later but Im in no hurry. I think you really need to drive both cars and get a good feel for them..I have two kids as well..the MS3 is not the roomiest car for sure but it is managible. I guess my point for my little story is to tell you to get the one that you love, not just the one that you think makes more since..Good luck on your decision. ;)

I drove the sonata. I really liked it. Only thing I did not like was the engine noise when you stand outside it. It's very loud. Which makes it sound cheap. From what I read it is just the external wastegate rod or something. Anyway, the Sonata is great on gas where the MS3 only gets 18 - 25. I like the looks of the MS3 better. I drove a MS3 about 3 years ago. I forget what it felt like. I will have to go back and get in one.

The Sonata's are nice cars..and its probably alot more practical and less thirsty than the MS3. The Sonata still requires premium fuel tho right? I have heard that they get low thirty's on the highway which is a good thing with the way the gas tends to fluctuate now. The temptation to mod it will be very low since there's probably only a few things that you can do anyways, so it might be a good choice for you. My mileage averages about 24 mpg with the a/c on with mixed driving city/highway...I do only have 2500k on it tho..but I doubt it will get any better.

Last edited:
The Sonata's are nice cars..and its probably alot more practical and less thirsty than the MS3. The Sonata still requires premium fuel tho right? I have heard that they get low thirty's on the highway which is a good thing with the way the gas tends to fluctuate now. The temptation to mod it will be very low since there's probably only a few things that you can do anyways, so it might be a good choice for you. My mileage averages about 24 mpg with the a/c on with mixed driving city/highway...I do only have 2500k on it tho..but I doubt it will get any better.

The Sonata's only require 87 Octane. Crazy. It is all around a more practical vehicle for me. I know Hyundai has gotten way better. I just don't know how the car will feel in 5 years. When you buy a Mazda or a subaru for instance. You know you are getting a good quality car. With Hyundai, eh, not so sure. They do back up there work with a 5 year bumper to bumper and 10 year power train though.

The 2.0T uses 87? or are you talking about the regular 4cyl.??.. If the Turbo uses 87 then that is crazy for sure...yeah I have always said that I would never buy a Hyundai, but their cars are getting more tempting. Sounds like you have almost settled on the Hyundai, with that kind of warranty you should have no worries..heck you might even be ready to trade or sale it before the powertrain warranty is up. LOL!!

The 2.0T uses 87? or are you talking about the regular 4cyl.??.. If the Turbo uses 87 then that is crazy for sure...yeah I have always said that I would never buy a Hyundai, but their cars are getting more tempting. Sounds like you have almost settled on the Hyundai, with that kind of warranty you should have no worries..heck you might even be ready to trade or sale it before the powertrain warranty is up. LOL!!

The turbo only requires 87. I asked this question twice to the dealer.

"The addition of a twin scroll turbo to a 2.0-liter direct-injection four pushes output to 274 HP with 269 lb-ft of torque while returning 22 MPG city/34 MPG highway— that's on regular 87 octane by the way (black magic). The Mazdaspeed3 makes 263 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque at 25 MPG if you want to put that in context. Somewhat sadly, a new six-speed automatic is the only available transmission, so dash those fantasies of a proper four-cylinder turbocharged family sport sedan."

Last edited:
The turbo only requires 87. I asked this question twice to the dealer.

"The addition of a twin scroll turbo to a 2.0-liter direct-injection four pushes output to 274 HP with 269 lb-ft of torque while returning 22 MPG city/34 MPG highway— that's on regular 87 octane by the way (black magic). The Mazdaspeed3 makes 263 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque at 25 MPG if you want to put that in context. Somewhat sadly, a new six-speed automatic is the only available transmission, so dash those fantasies of a proper four-cylinder turbocharged family sport sedan."

WOW, being able to use the cheaper gas is even better...not sure how they are achieving that without having alot of ''Detonation Issues'' but I guess they have done their homework. I can only imagine the numbers if tuned on premium fuel...low to mid 3's would be sweet with the automatic, thats only if the tranny could handle it of course. That Kia Optima Turbo is pretty impressive too!.. I might have to consider buying a Korean sedan in the future. ;)

Last edited:
Compared to the MSP, the MS3 with drive by wire and the cable shifter isn't as fun IMO. And honestly the Genpus are hideous but they have so much more power and potential than a stock MSP. I raced both a gen 1 and gen 2 in my mostly stock MSP and I was ahead of both of them until they hit 3rd gear.

Compared to the MSP, the MS3 with drive by wire and the cable shifter isn't as fun IMO. And honestly the Genpus are hideous but they have so much more power and potential than a stock MSP. I raced both a gen 1 and gen 2 in my mostly stock MSP and I was ahead of both of them until they hit 3rd gear.
Thats probably because the MS3's are limited in power in 1-2 gear. ;)

Last edited:
It would seem difficult to compare these cars. In my case, I need the hatch due to hauling instruments, amps, and stuff for the house. It really wouldn't matter to me if the Hyundai performed as well or better. I also feel like I know what I'm getting with a Mazda. Hyundai has certainly improved in the last decade, but I trust Mazda quality. Mazda dealerships on the other hand...

my exp. with the speed3 gas milage. i live in tampa fl. and i drove my 08 speed to kansas city mo.. and at 80 mph. withe windows up and the air on i ran 3 tanks of gas and got 29.9 on 2 and hit 30.1 on one tank. i know the speeds are better on mpg than advertised. i drive an 11 now and commute 60 miles round trip anmd still ave. 28 in mixed drivung.and as to keeping it stock, i have and love every minute driving it

I jut gave up a 03.5 msp in favor of the 2010 ms3.
All my weekends this year have been spent attempting to make the msp somewhat reliable. So I have up.

Back