Current CX-5 Owner Looking for a Mazda 3

I drove the 15 Civic gave it a try. Felt bad. That's one problem with owning a Mazda. Pretty much everything in price range is bad.
Not to get too far off topic, but the 2015 Civic is a far cry from the current model. Probably the worst model in a decade!

Not to get too far off topic, but the 2015 Civic is a far cry from the current model. Probably the worst model in a decade!

Yes, the 2017 Civic Hatchback is really nice - as long as you like the racer boy look. Personally I really like the way the Sport versions lookin red.

More expensive in real dollars than the Mazda 3 but really nice. The 1.5T in that car works really well and the handling is spot on. The CVT is the best in the business and for the most part, works well. The Mazda 3 is nice but more refined. Both are solid cars.

If this is correct, then everyone waiting for ACP and AA can just fuggedaboudit.

Actually, Toyota recently confirmed that carplay will be in "select" Toyota/Lexus models for 2019.

That said, I think the future of carplay and AA is still kind of murky. There have been few advances in recent years. A lot of manufacturers, even those who support it currently, are looking into options. Google and apple don't have great track records when it comes to long term project support and when someone's app fails to work properly in the car - customers complain to the dealer and not the source of the issue.

Then there's the fact that in China Android auto isn't even available because of regulatory issues and Apple has only a small slice of users there. So manufacturers still need to roll their own software anyway if they want to compete in that market.

Last edited:
I had a 3 s GT hatchback before the CX 5 and loved it. I just wanted a little bit more room and AWD, or else I'd have bought another 3. I see them on the road and still miss it. I hear rumors of a possibility of them putting AWD in the 3 in a few years -- that would rock.

As for Car Play and AA, I'm not sure what the big deal is. You already have access to a ton of music, including a handful of streaming apps, if you sync your phone, plus Sirius/XM, and built-in Nav. How much more entertainment do you need while you're supposed to be driving. Yeah, they're probably nice to have, but I don't think they need to be deal breakers.

I had a 3 s GT hatchback before the CX 5 and loved it. I just wanted a little bit more room and AWD, or else I'd have bought another 3. I see them on the road and still miss it. I hear rumors of a possibility of them putting AWD in the 3 in a few years -- that would rock.

As for Car Play and AA, I'm not sure what the big deal is. You already have access to a ton of music, including a handful of streaming apps, if you sync your phone, plus Sirius/XM, and built-in Nav. How much more entertainment do you need while you're supposed to be driving. Yeah, they're probably nice to have, but I don't think they need to be deal breakers.
Amen!

Preach it!

Thanks for the assurances! Wife drove the M3 yesterday and is pretty much sold on it. Would love to wait for a possible refresh, but she needs something asap.
Some debate now between getting a "basic" Touring (listing for about $22K) or an everything GT (about $4k more). She's already talking about giving it to the kids in a couple years - sure, right after I'm done paying for it! ;)
Also trying to decide between the 4 or 5-door. I tend to prefer hatchbacks, but in this case I love the look of the 4-door better and we already have a larger SUV for carrying things around in the CX-5.

I would go with the GT 5 door. The hatch is just more practical and imo the upgrades in the GT are worth it. Whenever I haven’t gone for it on the features I always regretted it later.

Thanks for the assurances! Wife drove the M3 yesterday and is pretty much sold on it. Would love to wait for a possible refresh, but she needs something asap.
Some debate now between getting a "basic" Touring (listing for about $22K) or an everything GT (about $4k more). She's already talking about giving it to the kids in a couple years - sure, right after I'm done paying for it! ;)
Also trying to decide between the 4 or 5-door. I tend to prefer hatchbacks, but in this case I love the look of the 4-door better and we already have a larger SUV for carrying things around in the CX-5.
Get the GT so no regrets later

I would go with the GT 5 door. The hatch is just more practical and imo the upgrades in the GT are worth it. Whenever I havent gone for it on the features I always regretted it later.

Mirrors my experience exactly!

Hey Guys -

I haven't been around here for a few months now - been happily enjoying my 2016.5 CX-5 that I've had for just over a year now (with about 12K on it).
My Mazda flag-waving has paid off, though, as my wife is looking for a new car and I've successfully steered her toward a Mazda 3. (Actually, though I certainly mentioned it, she came to decide on the 3 on her own, having compared it favorably to the Subaru Impreza and Honda Civic that she had been considering.

I know there's a M3 forum here, but it doesn't seem as active and I know and trust you CX-5 drivers more. So let me ask you more experienced Mazda aficionados what you think of the 3? Anything I/she/we should be concerned about, anything you'd recommend instead? Anything I, as a CX-5 driver, might like or dislike? This all happened pretty quickly and we may have to pull the trigger next weekend, but we still haven't test driven it yet. TIA

I would also suggest looking into the mazda 6. it's got a more stable chassis with the longer wheelbase and space is quite good overall. if you drive highway, go for the 6.

the best part about the Mazda 6 is that the 2.5L can be had with the lower trim levels, which I think is mandatory for these cars.

Update:

THIRD ACT PLOT TWIST!

So, days before we were all set to buy a Mazda 3, I get an email from another dealer about a Presidents Day Sale on 2017 Mazda 6's.
Long story short, we just got a Mazda 6 GT for 25% off of list (plus another $500 loyalty discount).
Bottom line: $23,300 and less than $27K out the door. Almost $8000 off list!
Needless to say we're extremely pleased!

The Mazda 6 is a great vehicle and very underrated. You should be very pleased with that deal and the fuel economy is not too shabby either. Congrats.

Update:

THIRD ACT PLOT TWIST!

So, days before we were all set to buy a Mazda 3, I get an email from another dealer about a Presidents Day Sale on 2017 Mazda 6's.
Long story short, we just got a Mazda 6 GT for 25% off of list (plus another $500 loyalty discount).

Congratulations and enjoy. I know I did with my recently departed 6 :)

Totally agree with this statement! How much more do we need to be on our smartphones? when not driving most of us on it...and while driving must still be on it? I value safety more...I actually have AA in my work vehicle ('17 Escape SE) and honestly I rarely ever use AA as vehicle already has Sync connected via bluetooth and can play Sat radio or even built in Spotify app...only advantage AA has is the use of Nav to appear on touchscreen, to use the voice activated google search feature and to read/reply to messages via whatsapp...Sync can already read/reply to text messages. Don't get me wrong but the AA/AC is a NICE feature to have but not a NEED and dealbreaker for me.

Ever wonder why Toyota which is one of largest auto makers is slow and reluctant to implement AA/AC? Accdg to their reasearch the ave age for the new car buyers is...50yrs old! So they know that most users of these features are the younger demographic! Sure they are already behind the trends in auto but I don't see their sales dwindling down just because of the lack on AA/AC...

Last edited:
Update:

THIRD ACT PLOT TWIST!

Wow, that is a fantastic deal! Congratulations and have fun!

I rented a 3 for 500+ miles for a business trip this week in central PA. Verdict - no burrito. Thumbs down - the rear seat space is awful, I mean totally awful, I used to have a 13 Corolla and my Lyft ride back from DFW to home was a same model corolla - the difference is day and night - and i still think corolla is small on space compared to Sentra / Civic. 2nd row seats for 3 is just terribad and what it gives from a handling and acceleration point of view does not make up for it. Good decision on getting the Mzd 6. For certain style of driving the 6 can give upto 46 mpg - see youtube videos. That is stellar and almost in the Honda Insight territory.

The skyactiv 2.5 drivetrain in 3 / 6 and CX5 - imo the way it has been setup for CX5 seems best to me followed by 6 and lastly by 3. Our rental 3 felt sluggish - I dont know how the tranny is tuned but I was disappointed. Good call - 3 is not worth for the performance gain, 2nd row is almost for under 12 y.o. only.

Update:

THIRD ACT PLOT TWIST!

Damn fine deal! Congrats!

Back