Curb Proof Tire Width?

shortnugly

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring
So I picked up some nice Enkei Raijin 18 x 8 45 offset, to replace my silver 17" Touring stock wheels with an offset of 50

Raijin-M.jpg

My lovely wife does not realize that you're not supposed to "feel" your way into a parking space.

Now that i'm selecting tires, I'd like to see if I can get something wide enough that would put a little distance between the outside edge of the tire and the wheel.

Also looking at putting spacers on to get a more flush look on the new CX5.

What would anyone recommend?

255/55/18 or 265/55/18?

Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

(that first curb rash is really gonna hurt)

What would anyone recommend?

Umm... Parking lessons?

Wide treads add a lot of rotational inertia, increase the chance of hydroplaning and spinning out, reduce acceleration and increase fuel consumption.

Parking lessons are much cheaper, do not decrease performance and do not threaten life and limb.

Partly depends on how the tire is designed too. My 255(mm)/45(height of tire expressed as a % of the width)/20(wheel size inches) had a flared ring that offered some protection. They handled awesome too. I downsized last month when I needed new tires. Accelration is up, but i can tell the difference in cornering with the slimmer tire (better with the 255). 8" is 203.2mm, so a 235 or 245 might work out. My 8.5" (216mm) wheel was using 255 and it was about 1 or 2mm over the face of the wheel. Im using 245s now and the face is slightly out. 255 will be slightly bulged on the 8", but it will look good with the wheel size and give protection. 265, wouldnt recommend. I know 40 offset is pretty flush for stock, not sure about 50 ill check tsw. Also im selling lowering springs.

Yea, it would need to be about offset 40.. in the future you should buy wheels with the ideal offset to avoid the extra cost/weight of spacers. It's gonna look good; better when lowered.

Partly depends on how the tire is designed too. My 255(mm)/45(height of tire expressed as a % of the width)/20(wheel size inches) had a flared ring that offered some protection. They handled awesome too. I downsized last month when I needed new tires. Accelration is up, but i can tell the difference in cornering with the slimmer tire (better with the 255). 8" is 203.2mm, so a 235 or 245 might work out. My 8.5" (216mm) wheel was using 255 and it was about 1 or 2mm over the face of the wheel. Im using 245s now and the face is slightly out. 255 will be slightly bulged on the 8", but it will look good with the wheel size and give protection. 265, wouldnt recommend. I know 40 offset is pretty flush for stock, not sure about 50 ill check tsw. Also im selling lowering springs.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I'm inching closer to the 255/45 on 8" wheels, I'll just have to play with the air pressure to minimize the tire crown.

I would have preferred 40 offset but these were used/like new wheels for cheap.

Chris, so is the 45 offset a direct correlation to a 5mm size spacer to have the same flush as a 40 offset wheel?

Concept car, but fun to look at.

You can order flares like that from JDM and those wheels are available to buy. The exhaust on it is from Racing Beep and costs like $499. Really, the only unique thing on it is the vinyl.

Latest posts

Back