CS or Hawk pads for spirited DD/potentially future AutoX? What about shoes?

GrasshopperCO

:
2015 Mazda 3 iSport 6-M/T
I know there are quite a few posts on here regarding brake pads, but from what I've read, most of them are geared toward autocross and track performance.

I'd like to field your guys' opinions on whether the Hawk performance pads or the CS pads are better for DD's with occasional "spirited" driving and maybe a track day or two in the future. Or is there something better? I just want some opinions from those who have fitted good aftermarket brake pads as to whether there's a set with a good balance between stopping power and low noise/dust.

Another pertinent question, if not quite as important as the pads: Is there a certain brand of brake shoes I should be looking for to replace in the stock drums? I haven't seen much discussion of that (maybe I haven't been looking hard enough), and I know performance in the back isn't quite as important as it is on the front, but should I look for "performance shoes" or should I just swap the old ones out for OEM replacements?

Thanks guys!

My 2 is my daily driver - had it's first track outing 2 1/2 weeks ago. Hawk HP plus, braided front lines, RBF 600 fluid, 15x7 rims with 195/50 Z2 tires, superb combination. This was my first time at Thompson and as I had not done any track time in several years I requested an instructor, with no prompting from me he commented on hoe good the brakes are. Stock rear shoes, my last car was within 50 lbs. and 5 hp of the 2 and did many laps at NHIS which has 3 hard braking zones, all with stock rear shoes. Perhaps upgraded rear shoes would help but I do not believe you would have to worry about the stock parts ending your weekend. This car would be more fun than a room full of drunk supermodels if only it had another 25 hp.

My 2 is my daily driver - had it's first track outing 2 1/2 weeks ago. Hawk HP plus, braided front lines, RBF 600 fluid, 15x7 rims with 195/50 Z2 tires, superb combination. This was my first time at Thompson and as I had not done any track time in several years I requested an instructor, with no prompting from me he commented on hoe good the brakes are. Stock rear shoes, my last car was within 50 lbs. and 5 hp of the 2 and did many laps at NHIS which has 3 hard braking zones, all with stock rear shoes. Perhaps upgraded rear shoes would help but I do not believe you would have to worry about the stock parts ending your weekend. This car would be more fun than a room full of drunk supermodels if only it had another 25 hp.

Fortunately, it's not outside the realm of possibility to GET another 25 horsepower...with some go-faster parts and an ECU remap, I think that'd be a pretty easy target. I was thinking about getting the HPS or the HP Plus pads, or the Corksport ones. I didn't think I'd have to go with anything other than stock shoes, so I'll probably just do a direct swap. Thanks.

Ive had both, the CS pads are great for DD purposes. Excellent initial bite and super low dusting. Hawks are good too, and the race specific pads make a difference

I think I am going to try a set of Carbotech XP8 for the car. They can squeal a little, bit should be fun on the track. I haven't ordered them yet, I can report back afterwards. I have seen comments that you can run the stock shoes on the rear. Porterfield makes pads and shoes for the 2, but they are a bit pricy.

I have the Hawk pads and love them. I DD in the city where you never know what idiot might pull out in front of you. These pads rock.

The stock pads are more than adequate for daily driving and autocross. Probably a track day as well, depending on your braking techniques and track layout. If you plan on doing a track day, just make sure the pads have plenty of meat left and get some fresh fluid in the lines. I like valvoline synthetic (it's cheap, widely available, and works great on track).

Thanks for the advice guys - I decided to try out Power Stop cross-drilled and slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads.

The stock pads are more than adequate for daily driving and autocross. Probably a track day as well, depending on your braking techniques and track layout. If you plan on doing a track day, just make sure the pads have plenty of meat left and get some fresh fluid in the lines. I like valvoline synthetic (it's cheap, widely available, and works great on track).

This actually
I ran mine at streets of willow ccw on for the whole day. Not a single problem at all with the brakes except the pedal became a bit squishy after running two sessions of 10 laps each back to back. From braking from speeds of 90 entering the skid pad to the constant on and off the brakes in the back section, not a single issue. Initial bite is lacking but these pads are pretty damn good for being stock

Latest posts

Back