Crying over spilled milk

88Jeep

:
2013 Mazda5 Sport
So... the bloom is off of the rose, so to speak. We've had our 2013 Mazda5 since mid-December 2013, and lately, when given the opportunity to drive it (it is my wife's primary car), I instead choose my 1996 Honda Civic. Why, you might ask? We had a 1/2 gallon carton of milk spill its contents on the all weather floor mat in front of the 2nd row seats, which created a milk reservoir that found its outlet underneath the driver's seat, all the way to the driver's floormat. So much for the new car smell.

Those who have short attention spans and don't wish to read any further, here is the question: has anyone done something like this in their Mazda5, and if so, what did you do to make the smell go away?

My wife sopped up the spill, rinsed it, and used a wet vac to get up as much as we could, but unfortunately temps were in the single digits and the carpet was freezing up as she vacuumed. We definitely did not soak/vacuum up a 1/2 gallon of fluid. We sprinkled the carpet with baking soda, and later with carpet deodorizer. We thought we were in the clear for a couple weeks, but then temps in our garage went above freezing, and the car (and the garage as well) smelled like something had died.

I mixed up hot water and Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap (why not?) and scrubbed the spill area, vacuumed, and repeated with hot water only. I found that there is a flap of carpet under the front seats, in front of the floor vents, that leads to a 4 inch deep cavity that is surrounded by styrofoam underneath the carpet. This cavity is likely where some of the milk was laid to rest. I scrubbed the accessible area of the cavity as much as I could without removing the seat and pulling up the carpet.

I next used a product called Enza-bac that a friend with access to commercial cleaning supplies was able to let me borrow. Its a foaming cleaner that contains enzymes that break down organics along with a nice minty smell to mask the spoiled milk. I applied that to the carpet and inside of the cavity, but ran out. Desperate, I used "Nature's Miracle" on the rest.

2 weeks later, even with an open Folger's coffee can under the drivers seat, we can still smell the spoiled milk, but not nearly as bad.

Anyone have any tips or advice, short of removing the driver's seat and pulling up the carpet? I'm hoping that option is a last resort.

I'd really like to look forward to driving the Mazda5 again.

I'd say you probably need to shampoo the carpet. As in, call in the professionals with the right equipment (Stanley Steamer, etc).

I don't think you're going to have much luck getting something that's dried into your carpet out with foaming cleaners. You need a proper, thorough, shampoo job, that's going to re-wet the carpet and force/suck the nastiness out.

Last edited:
Maybe try steam cleaning with the stuff they use to get out organic pet problems. It has stuff that breaks down the organic compound. I dunno.

If I remember, there are heater vents under there and definitely holes in the carpet for wiring. You will have to pick the seat up and roll back the carpet to clean that out properly. Its most likely into the under carpet insulation as well. Good luck with the clean up, the other option would be to let a collision shop or reputable detailer handle it.

^^ Yup. there is a storage bin/space (fill with hard Styrofoam) right under the heater vents. Move the chair all the way forward and have a look/feel and insert your hand into that pocket. Would not be surprised if some milk has collected in there. Also the carpet insulation probably soaked some up too. Sounds like you are going to have to take the chair/carpet out for a good cleaning. It shouldnt be difficult but may be time consuming. Go ask a detailing shop to see what they can offer. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Thought I would follow up. We were advised to give the car and the product I used some time, and so we did. There is now no detectable milk odor in the car, even on the hotter days with the windows rolled up. The real test might be after a rainy day sometime this summer, but so far, I think we are in the clear. Back to enjoying this car again!

Back