Crave More Power on your 2.0L? It Might be Your Lucky Day

NinjaNoises

:
CX-5 Sport MT
If that's true, aftermarket support for this engine is about to shoot through the roof!

Of course you won't be about to use its exhaust systems or even headers, but intake systems, supercharge/turbocharge kits should bolt on with little to no modifications.

I wouldn't get too excited. The CX-5 comes with a tuned, high performance 4 into 1 scavenging header. Also, any supercharge/turbo kits will require a custom map for good running because of the different headers. If you want more performance, I suggest buying the new Miata, it's already a sports car.

I wouldn't get too excited. The CX-5 comes with a tuned, high performance 4 into 1 scavenging header. Also, any supercharge/turbo kits will require a custom map for good running because of the different headers. If you want more performance, I suggest buying the new Miata, it's already a sports car.

The 2.0L manual transmission CX-5 suits my needs in every way, except for in the power department. I love the way it looks. Cargo capacity and handling-wise, it is also adequate. Add to that, it also checks the box for having a wonderful manual transmission. All of those reasons combined justified my purchase.

I didn't buy it to win races, but damn, this car is slow as hell.

Why do you have to bring my hopes down?(notcool)

the 6mt Cx-5 isn't slow.. it's just very challenged in the acceleration department.

I've seen the rumors online of the 155HP miata, but I don't think that's likely.

Unless having over 155HP in such a light car somehow ruins the character of the car, Mazda would be stupid to fit the 2.0L SkyG as-is into the Miata.
They have a 165HP, 14:1 compression version overseas, and with a tune/higher max RPM they should very easily get the motor to 175+HP.

I have 185 horsepower up from the previous 155 I had and although it's a noticeable difference it isn't a huge difference worth spending $$$$ to modify a 2.0 liter engine already highly tuned for torque by Mazda. If you want more power from your CX5 than it might be cheaper to trade up to a 2.5.

I think this actually qualifies as real torque and fast. It's so fast that they installed a button on it called the "insane" button. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LpaLgF1uLB8

I didn't buy it to win races, but damn, this car is slow as hell.

I started driving in the 1970's. The CX-5 2.0L is quicker than over half the cars on the road back then. Both subjectively and in published 0-60mph times. It has quicker 0-60 times than many cars in the day equipped with V-8's. Hard to believe but true.

One skill set that can make a world of difference in the 6MT 2.0L CX-5 is familiarity with the gearing. Being in the right gear for the job at the right time is not always easy for drivers whose skills have become dulled by driving cars with bigger engines but it can make a huge difference. With six gears at your disposal it is sometimes necessary to downshift 2 or even 3 gears at once. And wrapping the little 2.0L mill to nearly 6000 rpm's before shifting will insure you are in the meat of the powerband for the next gear. Don't worry, these are tough engines that are precision balanced. Wrapping them out is not going to hurt them, they are designed to be driven in a sporting manner.

But if you want to be a lazy, non-involved driver, there are engines much better suited to that type of performance. The 2.0L demands more driver skill and involvement than a larger displacement engine but is capable of surprising performance when driven well.

I thought in the US markets that we would only get the Miata with the 2.5L engine? Will they offer both options?

I started driving in the 1970's. The CX-5 2.0L is quicker than over half the cars on the road back then. Both subjectively and in published 0-60mph times. It has quicker 0-60 times than many cars in the day equipped with V-8's. Hard to believe but true.

One skill set that can make a world of difference in the 6MT 2.0L CX-5 is familiarity with the gearing. Being in the right gear for the job at the right time is not always easy for drivers whose skills have become dulled by driving cars with bigger engines but it can make a huge difference. With six gears at your disposal it is sometimes necessary to downshift 2 or even 3 gears at once. And wrapping the little 2.0L mill to nearly 6000 rpm's before shifting will insure you are in the meat of the powerband for the next gear. Don't worry, these are tough engines that are precision balanced. Wrapping them out is not going to hurt them, they are designed to be driven in a sporting manner.

But if you want to be a lazy, non-involved driver, there are engines much better suited to that type of performance. The 2.0L demands more driver skill and involvement than a larger displacement engine but is capable of surprising performance when driven well.

Did I accidentally say something about your mother? Sometimes, I do that. It just slips out.

Last edited:
I thought in the US markets that we would only get the Miata with the 2.5L engine? Will they offer both options?
No. The 2.5 is heavier and would disturb the 50/50 weight balance of the new Miata. What could eventually happen is a turbo version of the 2.0 as an option.

No. The 2.5 is heavier and would disturb the 50/50 weight balance of the new Miata. What could eventually happen is a turbo version of the 2.0 as an option.

I got it mixed up. In Europe a 1.5 liter and 2.0 liter will be offered where only the 2 liter will be offered here.

Also can't agree with the engine disturbing the balance of the car. What is the difference in weight between both engines?
The difference between the 1.5 and 2.0 must be minimal enough that they will offer both. We aren't talking about the difference between a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder.
Also if they turbo the 2 liter, there will be a decent amount of weight added by all the additional components.

Jeeezzz, FM, this thread went downhill fast, lol....(at least we know what's better suited for lazy and noninvolved, and have a 1.5 vs. 2.0 comparison when 2.5L vs. 2.0L was being discussed originally regarding balance of car)...

Note: The Miata has a long history of near 50/50 weight distribution, I expect that trend to continue.

Also can't agree with the engine disturbing the balance of the car. What is the difference in weight between both engines?
The difference between the 1.5 and 2.0 must be minimal enough that they will offer both. We aren't talking about the difference between a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder. Also if they turbo the 2 liter, there will be a decent amount of weight added by all the additional components.
I didn't just make this up; this is straight from the mouths of Miata engineers!

Well, 2.5 performance is improved with tuning, I'm not sure how much from the 2.0L. I know of one guy with a 2.0 (sky) mazda 3 running a low boost (5psi think) electric powered turbocharger with success. Based on testing between the owner/tuner , that pretty much seems to be the safe cap right now due to fuel delivery.

Pretty insulting post for the majority of drivers here. You don't need skill to drive a lower displacement normally aspirated engine. The vast majority know that if you rev it, it will go! Saying a car has poor performance does not simply mean it never has performance, in a family orientated car like the cx5 is usually means performance which is usable, easy to exploit and readily available. These are the normal attributes when we talk about family cars where refinement and the comfort and ease of driving are more important than having fun at the red line. If I had to drop 3 gears and Rev to 6000rpm to get the performance you mention, my wife would have the car traded in within seconds! The 2.5 would never have been developed if your statement was true for the majority.

Last edited:
I think you are right. Isn't it already there?

Nope, it's in the front of the car near the driver side headlight. Probably to offset cost and not weight. (and to save what little bit of trunk space there is)

2016_Mazda_MX5_Miata_LAShow_11.jpg

I must of been thinking of older Miatas, but trunk space then was super small.

Back