Crappy Gas Mileage

mader

:
2004 mazda3 GX
Hey all...
My new 3 has about 1000 miles on it. Can anyone tell me when the "break-in" period is over. ALso, am I supposed to be getting such crap gas mileage during the breakin. So far, it has been getting progressively worse...24, 22, and my last tank only 20MPG!?!? It is mainly city driving but I am not even coming close to driving it hard. My car was driven from another dealership to the dealership where I live before i got it. They put 450km on the brand new car ( all highway driving - no cruise)....I've heard not to do this right away...Also, I did drive it relatively hard initially for the first while I had my hands on it. Does that really do bad things ddown the road?

Is that why I am getting such crap gas mileage?

Also, does anyone else hear clunking noises when shifting? I've owned standards before and never heard this.

One more thing - anyone know if Mazda has adaptors for their cup holders. I live in Canada and the bloody holders are too big to hold a medium Tim's coffee!?!?

Sorry for the book!!!!

Yeah i assumed we would get better gas mileage on these things...oh well, beauty is pain. ;) Explain more on the shifting noise

ImportBabie3 said:
Yeah i assumed we would get better gas mileage on these things...oh well, beauty is pain. ;) Explain more on the shifting noise

The noise is a clunk...Like it is clunking into gear..no other car I ever drove (standard) ever did that....Sounds very worrisome....Do you have that trouble?

mader said:
Hey all...
My new 3 has about 1000 miles on it. Can anyone tell me when the "break-in" period is over. ALso, am I supposed to be getting such crap gas mileage during the breakin. So far, it has been getting progressively worse...24, 22, and my last tank only 20MPG!?!? It is mainly city driving but I am not even coming close to driving it hard. My car was driven from another dealership to the dealership where I live before i got it. They put 450km on the brand new car ( all highway driving - no cruise)....I've heard not to do this right away...Also, I did drive it relatively hard initially for the first while I had my hands on it. Does that really do bad things ddown the road?

Is that why I am getting such crap gas mileage?

Also, does anyone else hear clunking noises when shifting? I've owned standards before and never heard this.

One more thing - anyone know if Mazda has adaptors for their cup holders. I live in Canada and the bloody holders are too big to hold a medium Tim's coffee!?!?

Sorry for the book!!!!
I was just on mazdaworld.org and found a thread about poor mileage and glitchy throttle response. Sounds like there's a software upgrade available from the dealer that is supposed to fix the problem.

Could you post the link to the thread on Mazdaworld.org about the gas mileage/throttle issue?

I have also been getting worse gas mileage lately - in fact my best mileage was during my first tank, and I haven't been driving the car that much harder than during the break-in period. I have around 1600 miles now, and my last fill-up was a little below 20 mpg in mostly city driving. My first ever fill-up was slightly below 26 mpg in similar city/highway driving.

I don't seem to have any problem with the way the car is operating, but I was wondering why my mileage has been decreasing?(headshake

Edit: I have the auto trans.

"I have also been getting worse gas mileage lately - in fact my best mileage was during my first tank, and I haven't been driving the car that much harder than during the break-in period. I have around 1600 miles now, and my last fill-up was a little below 20 mpg in mostly city driving. My first ever fill-up was slightly below 26 mpg in similar city/highway driving.

I don't seem to have any problem with the way the car is operating, but I was wondering why my mileage has been decreasing?(headshake

Edit: I have the auto trans".

Your mileage seems about like mine with the ATX. I average around 22mpg all city with the a/c on, if I keep my foot out of it.<!-- / message -->

yep manumatic isn't gas friendly....specially if you are changing gears yourself.....the goal of gas mileage is 4th gear get there and stay there at 3000 to 3500 rpms (where vtcs doesn't disengage) and the gas mileage should go up...but you loose the fun factor of the vvt....on highway trips stay inbetween those rpms using the downshifting for passing only and your tank will last a goooood distance. If you like the vvt then yeah fun will overrule the gas mpg......

Agree with Da 6.

Drive conservatively and keep it under 3500 rpm (around 77mph in the manual) you'll get around 28mpg.

Drive it like you stole it and expect around 20mpg.

Back