Crackling radio?

:
2016 CX-5 GT w/ tech & activesense
Hello all! I joined the Mazda family 1.5 weeks ago with a 2016 CX-5 GT in Blue Reflex, with the Tech and Activsense packages. Loving it so far!

I am having one issue though, thought I'd see if anyone has has experienced this before I head to the dealer.

The problem is crackling/popping FM radio, but only while driving. It's pretty noticeable since I mainly listen to talk radio. I have tried different stations and though it's less obvious while listening to music, it's still there. Seems to be getting worse as time goes so I'm thinking a loose connection somewhere? No problems over bluetooth so definitely not the speakers. Anybody else?

Is it only FM? What about AM and CD? What about local FM stations. Is it only distant stations or all FM. If CD is fine then it's probably the FM tuner. Since it's new and under warranty let them replace it.

My FM sounds fine, fine for a Bose that is.

Hmm I haven't tried AM actually, I will try that. FM stations are local. I haven't tried a CD either, but podcasts over bluetooth from my phone are totally clear.

If I'm sitting still in the car, the FM is fine, it's only while I'm actually moving that it starts crackling.

Perhaps try reaching under the dash, if possible, and make sure connections are secure. OR better yet, bring the car to the dealer to get it fixed.After all we pay in our purchase $ to cover warranty repairs. Manufacturers don't just eat the cost of warranty repairs, they add the predicted cost to the cost of the car. You are just claiming what you purchased.

Hmm I haven't tried AM actually, I will try that. FM stations are local. I haven't tried a CD either, but podcasts over bluetooth from my phone are totally clear.

If I'm sitting still in the car, the FM is fine, it's only while I'm actually moving that it starts crackling.

Sounds like it's either a bad tuner or antennae connection. Take it in, let them fix or replace it. More than likely it will be something simple. Since you can duplicate the problem on demand it shouldn't take much time for Mazda to track it down.

I listen to college/public stations and experience some dropouts on those lower powered stations. It is my belief that the location of the FM antenna is the problem. Some have said it may be in the rear glass. Never had a problem with a whip on my Mazda5. High power stations OK, AM OK. If you go to the dealer, I'd be interested in what they say.

I tried out some AM stations and never noticed any crackling... I looked up some info on the station that I listen to most, the transmitter is 14-22 miles during my commute and the "Effective Radiated Power" is 29,700 watts. Of course I know nothing about radio so I don't know what that really means, but there it is.

I will have the dealer look at it when my plates come in to save a trip, and I'll report back!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Hey pifumd, have you gotten this checked out yet? I have a similar issue with my FM radio -- but the problem is intermittent and the dealer said they couldn't find any issue when they looked at it. Would love to know if you got a resolution so I can be more precise with my service request the next time I go in!

Not yet, I ended up picking up my plates after the service department had closed. So I figured I would just wait til my free oil change in April, but I heard about the recall today so I will probably be there next weekend instead.

Back