Cracked Odometer Cover

protege_03

:
2003 Protege 5
2003 Protege 5

Recently the plastic cover to my odometer has cracked. Anyone else run into this problem? It seems that the heat caused it crack?

Regardless, the stealership wants 3 hours of labour to fix this. Any thoughts?

How easy is it to replace it? I am not exactly a mechanic - do you have any tips? How much you selling your cover for?

How easy is it to replace it? I am not exactly a mechanic - do you have any tips? How much you selling your cover for?
I might be able to do a right up on how to do it, just need a screw driver. s*** i saw a write up on it, whats your zip?

I am all the way up in the frigid tundra of Calgary Alberta Canada. Postal code up here is T4B1C3. If you can do a write up, that would be amazing. Or if you could find the other one and direct me to it, that would work also. Thanks so much for your help.

its very easy to do.. you don't even need pics to follow to do this

basically a cracked lens happened on some cars and there's a TSB for that

to replace it, get a stubby phillips screwdriver... you will see 2 screws at the top of the gauge hood (the black plastic surround piece)... remove them...

tilt the steering wheel to the lowest position... then reach in around the top of the steering column and grab the bottom portion of the gauge hood piece (where it is cut out around the steering column) and pull out... then the whole gauge hood will come out... it may take a little bit of fidgeting to get it out between the dashboard and steering wheel

then you'll need a longer phillips screwdriver to take off the screws... there's 3 of them... one at the top center on a metal bracket, and then there's 2 at the bottom on the white plastic portion of the gauge cluster... once you take these out the cluster will come out.... unplug the cluster by reaching into the back and squeezing the tabs on the plugs to get them out.... be sure to cover the steering column and steering wheel with a rag because the metal bracket on the cluster may scratch them!

the plastic lense is snapped in place... you just need to push down on them to get it off... you'll know what I mean once you look at it

it's really a 30 minute job!

Thanks for the help. I will give it a shot this weekend. I will post the results with some photos hopefully after it is completed. Thanks again for your help

Back