Cracked cylinder head 2019 CX-5 with 26,000 miles

Thanks for the report. You are not alone and there’re 2 long thread and several shorter ones discussing this head problem for the 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation:

Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

NA CX-5 with Cylinder Deactivation Engine Repairs - Report In

Please file a complaint to the NHTSA website and make sure to specify you have a naturally aspirated 2.5L engine.
We will be sure to follow up. Thank you for the information.

Does anyone have a quote on the repair cost? Our warranty expired a month ago and we are smelling and seeing oil leaking. Bracing myself for the sticker shock. Mazda dealership service department wants $150 to just see the car. Almost feel like selling and taking a loss.

Does anyone have a quote on the repair cost? Our warranty expired a month ago and we are smelling and seeing oil leaking. Bracing myself for the sticker shock. Mazda dealership service department wants $150 to just see the car. Almost feel like selling and taking a loss.
One month out of warranty Mazda should cover it.

Year and mileage?

One month out of warranty Mazda should cover it.
Based on recent examples we’ve seen that MNAO won’t cover it 100% for sure under this circumstance. Some help maybe.

Mine was still under warranty, but the estimate was something over $4,000 (maybe $4,500?). I'm also not sure if that included labor or just parts.

Parts are $1200 to $2000 from most of the ones I have seen. The labor I have seen on three different work orders ranged $3700-$4400. Which is high because mazda book time is 17 hrs. But I have seen people post they have received estimates up to $9000 !!

2019 cx5. 32k miles. Noticed a few drops of oil in my garage. Got down on the floor with a flashlight and the bottom of the car is covered with oil. Brought it in for oil change and inspection. They said there was oil all the way back to my exhaust. Tech told me back of engine was covered in oil. Dropped the car off with them today. They gave me a loner. Just got the call that it was a cracked cylinder head. Warranty covers it 100%. They say work will be completed by early next week. Went online, found this thread. Thought I should share.
Here is our update. Our 2019 cx5 has been fixed. Took longer than they told us it would. But we are happy with the service. Just received it yesterday. Here is a what they replaced. No cost to us. We still had 1 year left on our drivetrain warranty. If there are any mechanics on here, that would be cool if you could chime in and tell me how this looks to you? Good luck to everyone going through this.

Attachments

• IMG_20230929_182823.jpg
    IMG_20230929_182823.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 134
Yours looks better then a facebook post I saw. They only posted the head. No Exhaust gasket, no intake gasket no nuthin except for the new head.

I have a 2019 Mazda CX5, 26,000 miles on it. Is like brand new. This past weekend oil started pouring out the bottom of my car. I smelled something burning while I was driving. When I pulled into my driveway, oil was all over, it ruined my driveway. It ended up being a cracked cylinder head. This is crazy. And I’m very upset about it. This should never have happened to a car this new, with little miles. Has this happened to other people?
I got a 2018 and it's being repaired at mazda right now for the same problem. $7200 plus tax. got the car end of October. I did search in this problem and it seems a lot of cx 5s have the same issue. mazda really need to take responsibility for this.

I am seeing that the part PYY4-10-SJ0 is the preferred choice for the replacement of the cracked heads. This part seems like its built in Mexico.

So!!! the affected Japanese built cars are getting replaced with Cylinder heads made in Mexico.

1705604353374.png

Looking at the vehicle fitment history, the part PYY4-10-SJ0 might be in production since 2018

1705604781249.png

Taking all this into consideration, Mazda might have not done any modifications to the design to address the cracked cylinder head problem, but are asking the dealers to replace the heads based on the availability of either PYFA-10-100E or PYFA-10-SJ0.

Assuming that PYY4-10-SJ0 has been in production since 2018, this does not guarantee that the problem will not reoccur.

Attachments

• 1705605091878.png
    1705605091878.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 35
I am seeing that the part PYY4-10-SJ0 is the preferred choice for the replacement of the cracked heads. ....
That's the number of the 'loaded' head, which includes all valve train components installed, with the exception of the HLAs. And that's also the reason for the higher price. Reading between the lines of the TSBs, they started distributing that head when it became clear that the dealers were regularly replacing LOTS of 2018 NA engines under warranty, due to cracked heads. Mazda decided to cut their internal costs by replacing the head, instead of the entire engine,. And they also cut the number of hours for the job (i.e. their warranty reimbursement for labor back to the dealers), as a result of the tech no longer needing to transfer valve train components from the cracked head to the replacement.

The consistent story from nearly every Mazda employee is the root cause of the cracked heads being bad castings (i.e. a manufacturing problem). Now that of course does not make it the 'truth', but it's certainly been consistent anyway. Also, the replacement loaded head is visually identical to the original 2018 head, and so far, no one has ever presented anything showing that the base part of the loaded head is different in design or structure from the original 2018 head.

But, as always, stay tuned for additional information.

That's the number of the 'loaded' head, which includes all valve train components installed, with the exception of the HLAs. And that's also the reason for the higher price. Reading between the lines of the TSBs, they started distributing that head when it became clear that the dealers were regularly replacing LOTS of 2018 NA engines under warranty, due to cracked heads. Mazda decided to cut their internal costs by replacing the head, instead of the entire engine,. And they also cut the number of hours for the job (i.e. their warranty reimbursement for labor back to the dealers), as a result of the tech no longer needing to transfer valve train components from the cracked head to the replacement.

The consistent story from nearly every Mazda employee is the root cause of the cracked heads being bad castings (i.e. a manufacturing problem). Now that of course does not make it the 'truth', but it's certainly been consistent anyway. Also, the replacement loaded head is visually identical to the original 2018 head, and so far, no one has ever presented anything showing that the base part of the loaded head is different in design or structure from the original 2018 head.

But, as always, stay tuned for additional information.
So I have a Mazda CX5, 2018 at the dealer presently. Had a burning oil smell when we purchased it used with 57k on it. They have replaced engine, and still had check engine light come on, new code received tells me that the transmission now needs to be replaced also? Still waiting for this part. All of this is being covered at no cost to us as the used car dealer had a 60 day warranty when we purchased… but want to make sure things are done right. Is there anything I should be looking for or inquiring about?

So I have a Mazda CX5, 2018 at the dealer presently. Had a burning oil smell when we purchased it used with 57k on it. They have replaced engine, and still had check engine light come on, new code received tells me that the transmission now needs to be replaced also? Still waiting for this part. All of this is being covered at no cost to us as the used car dealer had a 60 day warranty when we purchased… but want to make sure things are done right. Is there anything I should be looking for or inquiring about?
You'll almost certainly find out quickly, from the way it sounds and drives, if everything is ok mechanically. Just monitor the ground where you park for leaks, and also check all of the fluids regularly for at least a few months (actually it would be even better to make that something you do forever).

Mazda switched from replacing engines to just replacing the head a few years ago, so I'm surprised they replaced the engine on your vehicle. However, it's great for you they did that, and you're basically going to come out of this with a brand new powertrain at NC to you. With luck like that, I recommend buying a really big pile of lottery tickets (y)

yes, it's out of powertrain.
When did you actually purchase the vehicle? If you're less than a year I'd raise hell. Do you use the dealer for service? If so see if they will go to bat for you.

If Mazda doesn't help I'd be talking to a good lawyer.

When did you actually purchase the vehicle? If you're less than a year I'd raise hell. Do you use the dealer for service? If so see if they will go to bat for you.

If Mazda doesn't help I'd be talking to a good lawyer.
bought 2019 not for Mazda dealer and don't use Mazda service except for recall

Back