Cracked Cylinder Head (2018 CX-9)

$11K is ludicrous. Why have most dealer quotes been under $8K and you get told $11k? To me, that difference is getting it fixed vs dumping the car. My 2018 CX-9 is valued at $19K, there's no way I'd do an $11K engine replacement.
So heard back from corporate today, they are only willing to assist with $2,000. & told me I need to call dealer to discuss pricing, when I was told the reason I have waited about 3 weeks now, was because they were asking the dealer for pricing. The dealer gave me the original $11k estimate. So it doesn’t look like Mazda is really willing to help at all. Now what in the world do I do.

Joined Mazda247 to add to this thread. 2018 CX-9, cracked head, 106k miles. Louisville, KY dealership quote $6800 for head replacement. They say engine is fine. Mazda took 2 weeks to decide to decline assistance. They actually asked the dealership if they would "goodwill".
Not sure what to do now. Trade in is 19k unbroken. I owe 11k on the note. I am going to get a non dealership estimate.

Joined Mazda247 to add to this thread. 2018 CX-9, cracked head, 106k miles. Louisville, KY dealership quote $6800 for head replacement. They say engine is fine. Mazda took 2 weeks to decide to decline assistance. They actually asked the dealership if they would "goodwill".
Not sure what to do now. Trade in is 19k unbroken. I owe 11k on the note. I am going to get a non dealership estimate.
I have a 2018 Mazda 6, was told needed a new engine replacement, dealer estimate over $11k. Only have 56,000 miles, but power train expired 2 months ago, because of the 5 year mark. Mazda refuses to do a goodwill repair. I owe 8k on the car still. Begged & pleaded with dealer & corporate for assistance. Got the dealer price down to $6,+, but my new concern is, I’m being told that I will be getting a basically new engine block. No one can guarantee me if this is a new and improved version. I sure hate to out-of-pocket thousands of dollars to end up with the same exact problem again this is just the worst experience ever. I wish you good luck, & fill out the form for the class action suit.

Here is a screenshot of the parts listing for the new cylinder head:

1713472928502.png

You can see how many previous versions this one supersedes. You'll get the current version head, where the problem started, as well as the current version of the short block (the engine below the head) which was damaged by running while overheated.

Notice to everyone....Watch the engine temperature. If it rises above the normal point pull over at the very first safe opportunity, park, call a tow truck. Save the rest of the engine from damage.

I carry an emergency kit. I carry a card of cooling system sealant tablets, a pint of water, and a gallon of coolant. If my engine temperature rises I'll stop and let it cool. I'll mix the sealant into the bottle of water, add that to the radiator, and add the gallon of coolant. (Unless the sealant instructions has different instructions.) For more information about coolant sealant call a sealant company...Bar's Leaks, tel: 800-345-6572.

Back