CR CX-9 Reliability Nosedive

So Toyotas are a bad bet, but if I want a reliable car, I should get a Chrysler? If CR "fell apart" in rating their cars, they would have abandoned rating them long ago. Perhaps they don't get every car rating 100% correct--it's "predicted" reliability, right--but on the whole, I'd be pretty willing to bet CR has a very good, if not excellent, track record.

My main complaint is the lack of details and explanations. Not saying there is 0
value. With a dishwasher it’s probably not a big deal. But cars are a lot more complicated. I may not weigh things the same as they do for example. And could come to a different conclusion. Car and Driver by comparison explains how they weight and how they derive their scores.

The difference between the way they "rate" cars and the way they rate other things is like chalk and cheese. With dishwashers, ranges, refrigerators, microwaves, irons and the rest, they actually buy the product and run it through its paces, and in some cases test to destruction. They don't have the cash to do that with motor vehicles, so they cheap out and do a crappy "survey". I think that if they can't do a product reliability test well using a decent methodology they should bow out. There are plenty of other organizations doing car reliability reviews well, like Kelley Blue Book, Car and Driver, AAA. Consumer Reports doesn't have to do everything. I actually subscribe to their website and I use them as a resource when I am considering buying an appliance, but I look at the methodology they use to draw their conclusions when I decide how much weight to give their conclusions, versus another consumer website, google reviews or Yelp. The wonderful thing about the information super highway is that there is lots of information out there, you have to be critical when mining it though. When it comes to motor vehicle reports, Consumer Reports dishes up fools gold.

My main complaint is the lack of details and explanations. Not saying there is 0
value. With a dishwasher it’s probably not a big deal. But cars are a lot more complicated. I may not weigh things the same as they do for example. And could come to a different conclusion. Car and Driver by comparison explains how they weight and how they derive their scores.

I agree 100%--but that's a product of the dying magazine industry. They have revamped CR too many times over the past 6 years to try and jam more content in; and in doing so, they cut out much needed detail in reviews, in favor of pretty pictures and USA Today style graphics.

The difference between the way they "rate" cars and the way they rate other things is like chalk and cheese. With dishwashers, ranges, refrigerators, microwaves, irons and the rest, they actually buy the product and run it through its paces, and in some cases test to destruction. They don't have the cash to do that with motor vehicles, so they cheap out and do a crappy "survey". I think that if they can't do a product reliability test well using a decent methodology they should bow out. There are plenty of other organizations doing car reliability reviews well, like Kelley Blue Book, Car and Driver, AAA. Consumer Reports doesn't have to do everything. I actually subscribe to their website and I use them as a resource when I am considering buying an appliance, but I look at the methodology they use to draw their conclusions when I decide how much weight to give their conclusions, versus another consumer website, google reviews or Yelp. The wonderful thing about the information super highway is that there is lots of information out there, you have to be critical when mining it though. When it comes to motor vehicle reports, Consumer Reports dishes up fools gold.

They do full blown reviews on 4 cars per month, each of which they buy and road test with various editors. That's 48 cars per year that they buy. How many dishwashers do they rate in their every other year tests?

And, as a CR subscriber for decades--they survey their readers on those dishwashers too. With many fewer questions than the auto survey (essentaily -- "How long have you had the dishwasher?" "Did you have any non-warranty repairs this year?" "Would you buy it again?" "What brand of dishwasher did it replace?").

So the Feb 2018 issue has the CX-9 at the top of the list for Owner Satisfaction of mid-sized SUVs. (bang) I'm looking forward to their full review... (yupnope)

Last edited:
That's a pretty fair review, spot on or many points. Look the CX-9 isn't for everyone, and it's going to never compete with Pilot or Highlander on sales volume - You put a Toyota badge on a Fiat SUV and it will sell 100K of those a year...

You put a Toyota badge on a Fiat SUV and it will sell 100K of those a year...

Yup.
The new Toyota CH-R is a perfect example. Looks good on the outside, but that's where the good stuff ends. They'll sell a ton.
Majority of people buy a car with little or no research.
Half of them don't even take a test drive, and if they do, it's a five minute run around the dealer parking lot.

I've read through this discussion with great interest.

My girlfriend is in the market for a new vehicle, and really liked the feel of a new 2016 CX9 in the showroom of our local dealer. Unfortunately, we were very taken aback when we read the CR review of the 2016 model, and I've been trying ever since to understand the nature/context of the low rating. I too questioned the N size of the statistical sample, and whether or not the rating for the 2016 was derived (at least in part) by mechanical complaints from previous years as there couldn't possibly have been enough mechanical info that quickly on such a new model.

Normally, I would never buy the first year of a new model design for most any big ticket item. That said, I know there can be bugs in early releases of a new model year that can be worked out for units sold later in that year.

Based on the knowledge I've seen in this thread today, would it be worthwhile digging deeper into the actual manufacture date of the CX9 the dealership has for sale...the thought being the later in 2016 the vehicle was made, the more likely the infotainment bugs would have been found and fixed?

I'll apologize in advance if this question has been asked and answered in another thread and I missed it...and I'll thank everyone in advance for their advice.

Thanks!

I've read through this discussion with great interest.

My girlfriend is in the market for a new vehicle, and really liked the feel of a new 2016 CX9 in the showroom of our local dealer. Unfortunately, we were very taken aback when we read the CR review of the 2016 model, and I've been trying ever since to understand the nature/context of the low rating. I too questioned the N size of the statistical sample, and whether or not the rating for the 2016 was derived (at least in part) by mechanical complaints from previous years as there couldn't possibly have been enough mechanical info that quickly on such a new model.

Normally, I would never buy the first year of a new model design for most any big ticket item. That said, I know there can be bugs in early releases of a new model year that can be worked out for units sold later in that year.

Based on the knowledge I've seen in this thread today, would it be worthwhile digging deeper into the actual manufacture date of the CX9 the dealership has for sale...the thought being the later in 2016 the vehicle was made, the more likely the infotainment bugs would have been found and fixed?

I'll apologize in advance if this question has been asked and answered in another thread and I missed it...and I'll thank everyone in advance for their advice.

Thanks!

Are you only interested in a pre-owned 2016? Or does this dealer actually have a new unsold '16, which would be quite odd in 2018.

If you are willing and can swing for new, the 2018 improvements are well worth it and there are no issues that I'm experiencing or have read about anywhere.

Hi JPL, and thanks for the quick response.

Due to the depreciation, she is only interested in pre-owned at this point and yes, the dealer actually has 2 new, unsold "16s on the showroom floor; a Touring and a Grand Touring. She is interested in the Touring.

While the 2016 vehicle she is looking at isn't pre-owned, the price of the vehicle is much less than a comparable 2018.

Due to the depreciation, she is only interested in pre-owned at this point and yes, the dealer actually has 2 new, unsold "16s on the showroom floor; a Touring and a Grand Touring. She is interested in the Touring.

While the 2016 vehicle she is looking at isn't pre-owned, the price of the vehicle is much less than a comparable 2018.

Fair enough. I can't believe a dealer wouldn't have given those away yet. They better have a deep discount.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised too. I can't think of a reason they would still have them, except for the reliability review in CR, and the fact that the area I'm in is very Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and Volvo-centric.

That was most likely a showroom or test drive car which was driven god knows how. Youre saving money, but might just end up with an en engine that burns oil and does not get optimal MPG.

Ugh...yeah, that's a thought. The Grand touring is on the showroom floor right now, and it's not an easy move to get that one on the road for a test drive as the location of the showroom is on the 2nd floor. I can't say the same for the Touring model my girlfriend is interested in. I'll definitely take this into account in our decision. Thanks for pointing that out.

If it's "new" it can't be a demo car. It can have a few test drives or so but must have minimal mileage. Although the technical definition of new is that it hasn't been registered. But dealers often put a few thousand miles on cars that are used by management or for test drives.

If it's "new" it can't be a demo car. It can have a few test drives or so but must have minimal mileage. Although the technical definition of new is that it hasn't been registered. But dealers often put a few thousand miles on cars that are used by management or for test drives.

I don't know if your dealer would be open to it, but if the car has not yet been titled, perhaps they could 1) title it themselves (establishing an in-service date for warranty purposes), and then 2) sell it as a CPO - which would extend both the bumper-to-bumper and powertrain warranties. It does cost the dealer something to do that, which means the price you get might not be as sharp as if you just bought it as a new car. But the extended warranty from the CPO would have real, tangible value.

The Sorrento barely is big enough to qualify as mid-sized. It's always going to be on the low end of interior space--it's about a foot shorter than the CX-9. It's not really a fair direct comparison.

Comparing CX-9 to Pilot and Highlander is the better matchup.

Because the Sorrento is smallest in class on the outside too. CX-9 is larger than Pilot and Highlander and Santa Fe on the outside, but smaller on the inside. That's the difference.

I compared Kia Sorento with CX9.
CX9 looks goegeous and Sorento looks just avg.

I am looking for decent but smallest 3 row and Sorento stood out.
Sorento is 187 inches long and CX9 is 200 inches long.

The Mazda’s all have long hoods so most others are going to be shorter and have more cargo space. I think the CX-9 is for sure a nicer vehicle to drive and nicer place to be. The Sorento will offer more utility. It just depends on what is more important to you.

The Mazda’s all have long hoods so most others are going to be shorter and have more cargo space. I think the CX-9 is for sure a nicer vehicle to drive and nicer place to be. The Sorento will offer more utility. It just depends on what is more important to you.

Define "utility" when CX-9 has more space and more ground clearance.

Talking about cargo volume specifically in relation to the size of the vehicle. I wouldn’t personally get the Kia over the Mazda though. My point really is different compromises are made by each respectively.

Back