could you guys test this out?

tttP5

try turning/jerking your wheel abruptly (like grab onto the wheel, turn it fast and then let go) for about 90 degress or so to the left and then to the right.... does it make a clunk sound??? mine makes a clunk sound only when I'm turning it to the right....

I dunno if this has any relation to the clunk sound I hear when I'm going over abrupt bumps in the road, ie tar-lines or miss aligned tarmac. cause there is no way I can reproduce the clunk sound I hear when I'm driving at the dealership and I don't want them to tell me they can't reproduce it and crap like that...

PS... please only try it when the car is stationery or almost at a stand still....

This HAS happened to me twice before.

A very qucik spin of the steering wheel...then a loud clunk when the steering wheel reaches it's limit! Not just any 'ol clunk...but like a metal hitting metal kinda clunk!
I think both times i was stationary trying to get into a tight parking spot! I am not all too sure of the direction though.

One of my other cars did the same thing..so it didn't really scare me too much! hehe

If its clunking when the wheel is turned to its limit, you have hit the turn stop bolt to the frame. It is a totally natural sound, as it stops you from rubbing your tires against the fender well or frame.

If it is happening while turning, maybe an issue there. Ill try when i go home tonight :D

(mspo)

Hmm let me go outside and try.

If I dont come back, please call a ambulance.

(hi)

Sorry got distracted while out, my roomate and I have one turn on the way to our house. Of which we each try to see how fast we can go throw the series of S curves. So today he posted up a speed of 60mph. So I had to go out and beat it :D

Almost 70 and still holding on.

Oh and btw no didnt notice any strange noises.

*runs off to the fridge*

And thnx for atleast "considering" calling for help.

actually - i noticed this once while parking our '03. felt like something popping almost. weird....

maybe I will ask the dealer next time that I bring it in.

Mine does this and has for some time now. I took it to the dealer long ago and they said it was normal (of course). I did notice once when rotating my tires that there seems to be some play in the CV joints on both sides. I tested this by quickly yanking outward then pushing inward on the half shafts while the wheels were off the car. It's gotten worse over time but I just completed an 1800 mile vacation trip with no weird vibrations or suspension issues. Best way to test for this, at least in my car, is with engine off but key turned to unlock the steering column, wheels pointed straight ahead, rock the steering wheel back and forth. Mine will clunk very noticeably every time when doing this.

Jeff

Back