Cooling System Issue

I have to order the bolts from the dealer at $12.77 ea. I was going to but the shop manual was pretty specific with min/max. If Mazda is happy with that, I thought I was. Lol

I get that it's an opportunity to change the water pump, but are they prone to failure? I don't change my brakes everytime I have a tire off.

Rock auto has head bolts pretty cheap. That's where I got mine. And water pump need changed at a certain milage anyway, so might as well swap in a gates water pump for $20some dollars.

I get that it's an opportunity to change the water pump, but are they prone to failure? I don't change my brakes everytime I have a tire off.

No but seriously, you cant compare the two.. Brakes are accessible in 2 minutes... the timing belt is a multi hour job.. to change the water pump you need to remove the crank pulley, timing belt cover, V belts, Timing Belt, then re-time the motor, replace the cover, replace and torque the crank pulley, replace the valve cover, coils, replace and tension the two belts.

ass...

That's cool, I totally get the labour involved. I just wondered if these pumps are prone to failure or if it's just an opportunity fix. I'm pricing one out. lol

Another point, if a person is so concerned about labor and doing extra work why would you throw in a jobber pump or cheap head bolts? I would trust my Mazda bolts which are in tolerance over some chinese jobbers any day.

Not trying to be as ass, sorry if you are taking my questioning of your opinion the wrong way. If you were to tell me these things drop pumps every 60k like clockwork or that head bolts are known to snap 2 out of 3 times on the second install I would value that but more often than not people replace things based on opinion over fact.

I notice you have a fairly built motor too, this is a stock motor that is staying stock, fwiw.

I would never suggest getting "Cheap" head bolts. Go directly OEM or get a set of ARP Studs for $130.00 and never need to buy a new bolt again.

Stock or Forged, the pump is still the pump and the work involved is the same to replace it..

Just got off the phone and a new pump is $175 at my cost. lol, far cry from $20-30. Will have to think about that one, but with the fact the car had a blown hg and someone stuck junk in the coolant I might have to bite the bullet.

Here's a good discussion on head bolts, http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2009508

Like I said before, OEM bolts are going to cost me $130 for the set, plus wait time.

Agree with Brian, get oem or arp. Any waterpump will do it's job, gates pumps are reputable bc of the quality of the bearings.

Found one for $75. Man you guys still have some way better pricing down south! Checked out Rock Auto, if I had ordered all my stuff from there at once I could have saved a few hundred, even with shipping and new head bolts. lol! Thanks

Last edited:
So I checked out rock auto, thier pricing is great, however for a water pump timing belt and head gasket set I am playing shipping 3 sepereate times bc they are comming out of different facilities. $26x3=$78

which was the difference between my local supplier and Rock auto. so I opted to spend the extra couple of dollars to have the parts right away and get my car in the shop. this weekend.

LOL @ Your Defense on reusing the bolts..

The thread you linked.. had 1 guy saying to reuse them and everyone else said... Just Buy New Bolts.

I have a huge issue with cheap people who don't do what they should, cheap out on parts and then have to take the Effing bus to work... (Then Blame Mazda or some other target of hatred)

Pony Up... Cars Cost Money, If you end up doin the job twice because you were a lazy ass, i'll LOL...

I agree with spending a lil extra to make sure ur car is functioning.

In this case its a no brainer.

But I mean I am not going to go out and buy a wildwood BBK for my Protege bc I am having issues with braking.

Its all relative I guess.

Wow, kinda being a dick. It's not about being cheap, and I wasn't defending anything, just adding to the discussion. Sorry for offending your infinite knowledge. And the guys saying to reuse had engineering to back them up the rest were just going on opinion. i deal with this stuff every day on aircraft, and limits are there for a reason, manufacturers are very conservative and if they give you a limit it's on the side of caution.

It's your car, if you want to replace the bolts everytime, that's fine, but to tell someone they have to or they are somehow inferior to you with nothing more than an opinion is bogus. And if I was a lazy ass I wouldn't be fixing my engine in the first place.

which was the difference between my local supplier and Rock auto. so I opted to spend the extra couple of dollars to have the parts right away and get my car in the shop. this weekend.

I also try to support the local supplier when price is not too different. If we don't, one day there won't be any local suppliers.

Get ARPStuds and reuse them..
Do you know a part number? local shop can order them but they don't have a catalog. With studs, what is the torque procedure?

Water pump was 75$, if I ordered from Rock auto it was about 2 bucks more once shipping was included. All for the local guys but I don't mind a bulk oreder savings from time to time. On single items i like to buy here. But, my timing belt was $60, and the two accessory belts 20 and 30 respectively so had I known how long I had to wait for my head to get sorted out I could have saved a fair chunk.

Btw correct me if I'm wrong but head bolts and head studs are different. The head bolts are what have to be replaced IIRC, head studs can be reused. I think I got that right, it's been almost 2 months since I did my head gasket and I ordered one of the two

Back