Cooling fan not turning off after it warms up

Jaysdogjazz

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Alright this might sound like a weird concern. I just bought this car and I was noticing that after it the car has warmed up it seems like the cooling fan doesn't turn off. My concern is will this ruin my fan sooner then it should and could there be something else that is broken that might be a problem when summer heat gets here.

The previous Owner had just had the motor replaced so I don't think they realized there was an issue.

I am leaning to the idea that there could be 1 of 3 issues if not all 3 combined.

(1) Air in the cooling system needing me to bleed the coolant system.

(2) Engine Coolant temperature Sensor

(3) Cooling Fan relay

Any ideas or has anyone ever had this problem

Being a former Honda Owner you found the need to always use OEM part to have things work properly is the Protege 5 the same way should I spend the extra $5 and wait for the parts from the dealers?

Not sure what the problem is... but I have some insight on when the fans turn off and on

Fans on when coolant temp reaches 205f
Fans off when coolant temp reaches 199f

with that knowledge i would say that your coolant is reaching the threshold for the fans to kick on and never reaching below 199f for the fans to turn off...

also can't really know the coolant temp without an actual temp gauge or OBDII reader/scanner. The dummy gauge on the cluster is worthless. The needle doesn't start rising from its normal operating position until around 240f(at least my gauge) and by that time it's getting too late.

Last edited:
808MP5 thanks for your insight. I know as far as the Dummy gauge goes its always running about dead center maybe a click or two higher, but nothing to look at twice and be worried about it.

I have been looking on line to some OBDII programs and cables to the laptop online but I have to wonder what the big differences between them

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I really don't know anything about that product. As long as it displays the real-time information about what the ecu is seeing then you should be good. I'm used a PLX-100 OBDII scan gauge to watch my engine diagnostic. The dummy temp gauge doesn't start to rise on my car until I hit the 240f range and by that time your pretty much over heating and your coolant should be boiling in the overflow tank.

I would first try taking out the coolant thermostat temporarily. Get the car to normal operating temps by ideling for about 20min or so. By that time your fans should kick on. The fans should come on for no more then 5min. If the fans do turn off then it could be your thermostat is stuck in the closed position. The thermostat is a cheap and easy fix.

Cooling fan is also on any time the a/c is on (to improve efficiency). Is a/c off and the fan still runs? Is the engine 'hot'?

Well I rigged my fans to be on at all times which is not a bad thing, keeps the car cool, have you tried to see if he had the fans to a switch somewhere?

No the AC fan does turn on and off when turned on and off, but what I have noticed is that it was like 50 degrees out and the temp gauge was just under 1/2 way and after being stopped for about 10 minutes the fan cooling fan kept humming away.

Look for an aftermarket relay and switch / wiring going to the fan (it may be an aftermarket unit to fix the fan not coming on normally... i have done this on another car). If so - there is an adjustable switch to make the fan come on at a higher temp threshold setting...

Back