Coolant temp normal?

F624A101-D500-4736-BE27-978DB58E95F4.jpeg

Is it normal to see the coolant temp going past half way? When driven on highway with good flow it comes down to 90 degrees Celsius but occasionally it goes up just above as in the photo. Mazda tech said it’s normal but I have never seen this in any of my previous cars. This is 2019 June model.

I wouldn’t be concerned as my CX-9 hovers around the 90deg Celsius while my prev Mazda 6 and current Mazda 3 (both with Skyactiv 2.5L NA engines) hover around the 100deg Celsius temp.

It’s fine. 195-220F or 90-104C is considered normal. 212F/100C is where water boils and some consider that an optimum temp for the coolant system.

212F/100C is where water boils
Pure water at standard atmospheric pressure boils at 212F. Pure water in a 16 psi radiator system boils at about 250F. An antifreeze mixture will have a higher boiling point.

Kiwi, a car's thermostat is a reliable device, but it isn't a precision device. Your system looks fine.

My 2018 CX9 GT AWD sometimes ticks up one slot above center when I'm towing my boat (which is right at the 3500 weight limit). Typically it sits one tick left of center or right on center.

My VW GTI displays water temp right at center all the time, though oil temperature (which can be displayed digitally) moves around all over the place. I've read that a number of makes (including Audi/VW and BMW) program the water temp gauge to remain static at 50% during normal operating temperature range as to not concern drivers with mild temperature fluctuations.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back