Coolant Missing

nazgul350r

:
03 MSP & 08 CX-9 GT
For the past year I have had to add coolant twice to the car. It is not leaking anywhere under the car, nor is the oil milky, also there is no overheating.

Has anybody had this problem?
Any ideas?

How much do you have to add?

I think I usually add about 1/2 cup of coolant every other oil change or so. No white smoke, no coolant in the oil, no coolant smells, no visible signs of leakage. I've just been monitoring it and watching for any change for the last 40k miles or so. I've seen a lot of people report minor coolant consumption on these cars, so unless you're talking about your reservoir going dry twice in the last year, I don't think it's anything to get too worried about. Just keep an eye on your coolant level and watch for any increase in consumption.

Mine is the same way, I just always blamed it on the crappy stock overflow I have.

I agree. My car runs like a top and I have to add to the overflow periodically. I think that it has to do with the stock setup and just general evaporation

if your not adding a whole lot that often and no white smoke i really wouldnt worry a whole lot about it just make sure you keep an eye on it though just incase

I didn't want to make a new thread about a coolant issue. I've had to add coolant to the overflow tank (from low line to top full line) twice in about 1.5 months. I can't find any leaks on the ground or coming from the hoses. I'm not seeing any white smoke from the exhaust. When I finish driving I can smell a VERY VERY faint coolant smell from the engine bay. I'm hoping it's not an internal leak. What do you guys think...should I test the rad cap? Any other ideas?

Also. I did a coolant change a few months ago, but didn't get all the nasty crap out of the bottom of the overflow res. Could that be why the coolant isn't maintaining a bright green. I doesn't look milky, but it's just not bright green.

these cars use coolant to cool the turbo. If you've ever driven your car in summer, my bet is you've noticed the coolant perfume smell. I noticed it most at stop lights on freeway exit ramps. A couple times a year, perfectly normal. I think my car burns off about a gallon of coolant every 20K miles. Its hard to track, because my fiance's jeep burns about as much.

I agree for the most part it is normal; however I noticed traces of coolant back in year one and replaced the spring clamps and never saw them again. I suspect the cap on the overflow tank is the culprit for the constant coolant smell with these cars. The radiator level always seems to stay the same but the overflow drops a bit over time.

Its a good idea to change the radiator cap when you do a coolant change. And you could always pressure wash the crud out of the overflow tank.

I agree for the most part it is normal; however I noticed traces of coolant back in year one and replaced the spring clamps and never saw them again. I suspect the cap on the overflow tank is the culprit for the constant coolant smell with these cars. The radiator level always seems to stay the same but the overflow drops a bit over time.

Its a good idea to change the radiator cap when you do a coolant change. And you could always pressure wash the crud out of the overflow tank.

That is the explicit point of having an overflow tank...

Oh ok. That makes sense. I didn't think about it, but the top of the overflow tank doesn't have a tube on it...it's venting into the air. That would explain the smell.
Thanks guys!

id say if you have only added coolant 2 times over the course of a year to your msp take a sigh of relief thats not a problem.

Back