Coolant Leak Lawsuit Investigation for the CX-5, CX-9 and Mazda6

In the past, the dealer I frequent called MazdaUSA directly to help split the cost. One time, it was for premature rear brake pad wear of my Mazda3, and the other time, for peeling-off wheel coating of my Mazda6. In both cases, MazdaUSA helped split the cost.
So, it seems like your dealer is just lazy and unwilling to help customers.

In such case, you should call MazdaUSA directly.

In the past, the dealer I frequent called MazdaUSA directly to help split the cost. One time, it was for premature rear brake pad wear of my Mazda3, and the other time, for peeling-off wheel coating of my Mazda6. In both cases, MazdaUSA helped split the cost.
So, it seems like your dealer is just lazy and unwilling to help customers.

In such case, you should call MazdaUSA directly.
Yes I agree. Basically the dealer wants maximum reimbursement from the manufacturer so you don't have to pay as much so earn your business.

Just bare in mind if they have a long line of $100 oil changes in the queue, there isn't much incentive to tie up their techs to perform a repair that take days.

Mazda sold roughly 150K CX-5's in the US in each of the model years mentioned. Don't know about the C-6 or C-9, but imagine those figures are easy to come by. At least where a CX-5 is concerned, seems like way less than 1 percent of owners are affected. However, of the complaints in the NHTSA database, it also seems like most began occurring fairly recently, like the past year or so, and in relatively low mileage vehicles. I wonder if Covid impacted those figures, meaning the issue would have arisen sooner, while people were under warranty, but mileage on most of the "Covid era" cars was likely artificially low compared to other model years.

Mazda sold roughly 150K CX-5's in the US in each of the model years mentioned. Don't know about the C-6 or C-9, but imagine those figures are easy to come by. At least where a CX-5 is concerned, seems like way less than 1 percent of owners are affected. However, of the complaints in the NHTSA database, it also seems like most began occurring fairly recently, like the past year or so, and in relatively low mileage vehicles. I wonder if Covid impacted those figures, meaning the issue would have arisen sooner, while people were under warranty, but mileage on most of the "Covid era" cars was likely artificially low compared to other model years.
This doesn’t affect all cx5, but only those with the turbo. In Canada, not many has the turbo. It’s much less popular than the modelS with the NA engine

Mazda sold roughly 150K CX-5's in the US in each of the model years mentioned. Don't know about the C-6 or C-9, but imagine those figures are easy to come by. At least where a CX-5 is concerned, seems like way less than 1 percent of owners are affected.
I hate people are using small percentage as an excuse to dismiss the head crack problem on both 2.5T and 2.5L NA with CD. It’s a major issue and it’d cost an arm and a leg to fix it without warranty. And it’s hard to predict if yours would happen and when it’s going to happen.

I hate people are using small percentage as an excuse to dismiss the head crack problem on both 2.5T and 2.5L NA with CD. It’s a major issue and it’d cost an arm and a leg to fix it without warranty. And it’s hard to predict if yours would happen and when it’s going to happen.
Exactly. If one were part of the one percent and had that expense and aggravation, then that person wouldn't think it's so trivial.

It's not like they're using it as an excuse to dismiss or minimize the severity the problem. It's to provide a more realistic expectation of the frequency of the problem, so that owners are better informed.

1% is 10,000 ppm. When I was working in the auto industry , our goal was single-digit ppm.
For a major problem like the cracked head, I simply don’t believe any reputable car manufactures would allow that 1% failure rate to a new product. Mazda didn’t know the head would crack when they added the turbo and cylinder deactivation with a modified cylinder head on a previously reliable 2.5L. Besides, this’s a major problem no one can predict until is happens.

.... It’s a major issue and it’d cost an arm and a leg to fix it without warranty. ...
That statement above is really the only reason I spend so much time doing research and posting comments about this issue. If Mazda had decided to do the right thing from the beginning, by completely covering all cracked turbo and NA heads, I would have very little concern about the possibility of a cracked head and would have nothing but compliments to Mazda for supporting their customers so well.

But I guess it's just foolish to expect ANY for-profit business to voluntarily clean up after themselves when they make a mess like this one.

For a major problem like the cracked head, I simply don’t believe any reputable car manufactures would allow that 1% failure rate to a new product. Mazda didn’t know the head would crack when they added the turbo and cylinder deactivation with a modified cylinder head on a previously reliable 2.5L. Besides, this’s a major problem no one can predict until is happens.
Exactly. It's not like a missing grommet or a screw that falls out somewhere. it's the engine, a major, major component. The zoom-zoom part!

Back