Coolant coming out of exhaust manifold! Need help :(

cl0zed

:
2003 Mazda Protege Speed
I believe I need a new engine head at this point but maybe someone here can help.

My left exhaust manifold stud snapped off, I had to drill it out and I was off by 2mm or so to the bottom when re-drilling. I put helicoil in and bought a new stud, assembled everything to spec, there is now coolant coming out of it that stud. Did I drill into a coolant line in the aluminum head?

Is there anything that can be done at this point that doesn't require the replacement of the entire head?

Below are the pictures I took a couple with the coolant coming out and a couple to show you my horrible drilling job :(

Thx!

leaking-coolant1.jpg
leaking-coolant2.jpg
leaking-coolant3.jpg
leaking-coolant4.jpg

ouch that can't be good.. and you are obviously a lot more off then 2 mm.... I dont think I've seen or heard that before. subbing because i have no idea how you go about fixing that if it is repairable.

Ask around at some mechs? They might have a product that'll help but i doubt it would hold up- with all the heat and pressure. But i could be wrong, and i hope you can find a solution. If not, start looking for a head (i hate to be so blunt)

I just took a look at my head and it looks like you'll be ordering a new head. You definitely hit a coolant passage and I can't imagine there being a fix for that. I just didn't realize that the passage was so close to the stud points. Good to know for future reference but sucks that it happened to you.

I just took a look at my head and it looks like you'll be ordering a new head. You definitely hit a coolant passage and I can't imagine there being a fix for that. I just didn't realize that the passage was so close to the stud points. Good to know for future reference but sucks that it happened to you.

Yea, so the heads are the same as the N/A protege's as long as it's the 2.0 FS engine head It is a direct swap? Anyone know

Anyone know if there is anything that can be done to plug that coolant passage in the stud area? Some kind of epoxy or anything? The car runs and drives great aside from the coolant :( I just fixed all the vac leaks, replaced turbo, replaced hoses with silicon, new manifold bolts. It's a shame I have to scrap this thing :( maybe I can part it out...

you could try teflon tape on the bolt.. but I do not have any idea how well that will hold up. I just know they use it on water pipes.

Depending how far in the hole is you might be able to get some high temp epoxy and fill it and get a shorter stud in there. If there is no heating issues and it looks to be a small leak so you might be able to get away with it.

agreed with above...

The exhaust side of the head is heavily cooled, with lots of water jackets through there...you knicked one it looks like...but, they are also fairly small passages, so shouldn't result in a catastrophic leak to any degree...the hot exhaust side is going to quickly boil the coolant off, leaving a disgusting black residue, and honestly it could end up plugging itself fairly well...

so i'm not suggesting do nothing...just saying there isn't a need to truly freak out just yet. You, like mentioned, may have good luck with plugging it with something like quick steel too...you could completely fill the stud hole with it, let it cure, then tap it again and make sure you're dead on that time...that would be a better 'band aid' than just leaving it...

just keep an eye on the FS section...guys let decent heads go all the time for around $100...and a patch job on that stud should give you plenty of time to limp the car around while you're waiting for one to pop up...

Honestly, you're pretty well screwed. The right repair would be a head swap as mentioned, high temp RTV isn't going to withstand that so well. If you don't plan on taking that stud out again for eternity, I would do what Installshield 2 recommended... (wink)

Back