Cool Wankel

would you need a turbo/superhcahrger on one of them? they're a .30cu Inch engine that putsout 3horsepower... that, kids is ALOT. most RC cars would have a VERY difficult time harnessing that. T-max's The standard 4wd monstertrucks have just a tad over 1horse and they'll do 30MPH without a problem. Similar setup streetcars push 50=60mph and wat up a HUGE parkinglot in notime. Larger planes or those looking for speed and having 1:1 thrust/weight ratios can take advantage of this. (1:1= ability to hover like a helicopter)

asfor where to buy: towerhobbies.com's a solid source. but these as-is are prettymuch only useful for RC aircraft use.

you can't efficiently turbocharge/supercharge a 2-stoke(r/c car engine..).....

my .21bb peaks at 40,000rpms..

Awesome! The page was written really well too, and I enjoyed the read.

I would love to have one of those...and the rotary-powered R/C RX7 would be such a cool thing to have.

Prodigy said:
you can't efficiently turbocharge/supercharge a 2-stoke(r/c car engine..).....

my .21bb peaks at 40,000rpms..

These are 4-cycle Wankels just like the Mazda ones, they can rev up to about 20,000

They can be bought used on ebay, there are two versins, an older one with side intake and this one which is peripheral. They can also be bought new from several hobby stores, they're expensive though, try www.towerhobbies.com and search for wankel

HorsepowerFreak said:
*I hate when they are referred to as "wankels". :shakes-head:

Why? I think it's great that Dr. Felix Wankle is still getting credit for his revolutionary engine design. We never refer to piston engines as the surname of their creator.

Oh, and on topic, I'd love to have one of those in our TC3 RX-8. We run her on an indoor track here in town. So much fun in the wintertime when the autocross season is over. :D

and holy crap! I wish my 13B had Apex seals proportional to that little thing!!!

Last edited:
Mazdaspeedgirl said:
and holy crap! I wish my 13B had Apex seals proportional to that little thing!!!

There used to be 6mm apex seals, they're too heavy for high rpm use (float), don't seal as well, and create chatter marks

I'm looking for some help. I need engine bueprints to complete a paper that I am writing on rotary engines, do you know were I can find that kind of information or who I could talk to for that kind of information?

I have a PDF copy af a book in Rotary Engine Design, and some other technical papers. They're large so pm me an email address that can accept large attachments and I'll send it to you

I didn't know these micro rotary engines were so cheap. Seems like the last time I saw these things they were close to a thousand bucks. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong place. I'd love to retrofit one of those into my nitro car, but seems like a costly project imo.

The pdf files I have equal about 45 MB, include 2 books and several SAE papers on Rotary Engine design. I tried emailing but the size is too large. Where can I host them so I can post a link?

I have a server that could host them. I can't guarantee the permanence of it, since I only have 150mb total disk space, but I could leave it up for a few months. PM me for more info if you want.

FlyinMSP said:
20000 rpm!!!! (eek2)

pfft, my Nitro Star .12 engine revs up to 39,500rpm's in my RC10gt

I have thought about modifying my RC10gt to mount up a rotary, but it would take too much money (ok, well, not a lot of money, but the cost/return ratio isnt enough to make it worth it) and it would be hard to find a shell to fit the car after that kind of a mod.

Last edited:
Back