Converting Halogen to HID

I am in all likelihood picking up an 07 MS3 sport this week, and I was wondering how hard it is to convert the sport trim halogen lights to the GT trim HIDs? Is it pretty much plug and play or is there some actual wiring required?

Thanks.

ddmtuning.com

purchase a 35 watt kit at 6000k for super white or 8000k if you want a blue tint...they are plug and play, simple to install!

Just a heads up, it is pretty hard to get the new lights into the housing without removing the bumper. I know that sounds a bit insane, but the bumper comes off very easily in a matter of minutes and it makes the job a ton easier. Also, they are plug and play, it's pretty hard to mess it up. Good luck!

Also 6000K from DDM is not really a super white, it has more of a blue tint than I like. I have the 6000K now and wish I bought the 5000k.

Cool, thanks a lot guys.

So few posts and already this place is much better than the last enthusiast forums I was on. You guys put the jerks at VWVortex to shame. Nice to be part of a community that is actually helpful.

Also 6000K from DDM is not really a super white, it has more of a blue tint than I like. I have the 6000K now and wish I bought the 5000k.

Ah yes! I have a 55w kit instead of the 35w, and the extra wattage washes the color out a bit. I forgot about that...

Sorry if this is hi-jacking the thread, but I have a similar question.

I have an 08 MS3 Sport and am looking for HID conversion just like the OP. I want to convert both my lows and the fogs.

1. What's the difference between Apexcone Raptor HID Kit vs DDM HID Kit Slim Ballast? As far as I can tell, the Slim is smaller and costs more. I will get the slim most likely, but which is more reliable? Why are these so cheap (<40 dollars)?

2. H7 is for the lows and 9006 is for the fogs, correct?

3. Do I need to worry about anything "melting" with 35W? Or is that just a problem that is inherent to those with 55W?

4. If I want to go for the whitest possible, is choosing 35W 5000k from DDM a good choice?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Try to help but my experience is only DDM:

1. slim ballasts are awesome...you will find there isn't much room for them. I don't have them in the fogs, but I bet there is even less room down there.

2. H7 lows, 9006 fogs (I believe)

3. I have 55w-yes, stuff melts....i have had some issues but I think they are fixed now

4. I think 5000k is the whitist.....6000 starts going blue at 35w
At 55w 6000 is whitist and 8000 goes blue

note: ddm offers lifetime warranty I think

noobs: C'mon.. do some searches. I've posted many pics before.

DDM 35w 5000k PnP with TRS clear lenses. Dont ever look back. Best headlights I have ever used. Comparable to TSX/TL/S2000's

100_3453.jpg

img_4703.jpg

100_3515.jpg

100_3518.jpg

img_4700.jpg

img_4696.jpg

As you can see, 5000k is just perfect with a slight hue of blue and great output.

Note: to install the clear lenses you will have to bake your headlights open in an oven.

Clear Lenses: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=150

Dude, sick headlights! Thanks, man!

Do you have 3000k fogs, too? Was that installation hard?

Dude, sick headlights! Thanks, man!

Do you have 3000k fogs, too? Was that installation hard?

Thanks Bro-ski. Actually the fogs are the 55w Luminics bulbs that are "JDM Yellow" non-hid and they are cake to install

1. slim ballasts are awesome...you will find there isn't much room for them. I don't have them in the fogs, but I bet there is even less room down there.

3. I have 55w-yes, stuff melts....i have had some issues but I think they are fixed now

Sorry, I totally missed your post. Thanks for the reply!

i took my front bumper off to relocate my fogs ballasts to somewhere higher up and it took about 5 min to take the bumper off, head lights are just as easy, undo like 5 screws and the whole light comes out

Cool, thanks a lot guys.

So few posts and already this place is much better than the last enthusiast forums I was on. You guys put the jerks at VWVortex to shame. Nice to be part of a community that is actually helpful.

the 'tex changed my mind about wanting a dub just cuz the mark 3, 4, and 5 owners are snobby s*** licking ass holes..., i wanted a jetta gli, that changed after i saw how pathetic the 'tex users are

i got the amazon.com kensun HID's for 83 shipped and the fogs were h11 i think its like a change from american to metric,

akumadiavalo said:
I am in all likelihood picking up an 07 MS3 sport this week, and I was wondering how hard it is to convert the sport trim halogen lights to the GT trim HIDs? Is it pretty much plug and play or is there some actual wiring required?

Thanks.

To answer your original question it's not too hard to swap the OEM components. The biggest issue is getting them without sacrificing your first born as each housing MSRP's for about $800.... not including the ballasts, lamps, or the wiring adapters you'd need for the D2S lamps. Plus if you wanted to wire up the leveling motors you'd need those, some spare wire, and the leveling switch for the inside of the car. So while possible unless you found some somewhere cheap I'd just go with the kit for the moment.

The whitest color temp is 4300k. This is what all OEM HIDs are. I don't recommend going with a higher kelvin rating just to get that "blue look" as the higher your kelvin rating goes the less actual light output you have. If you're looking for the blue "flicker" you see on higher end cars then you should do what many members (such as mr_mazda and myself) have done by retrofitting a TRS clear lens in to replace the OEM frosted lens, space the lens, and a few little mods to the shield. This will clean up the cutoff significantly, reduce glare, and give you that pretty blue color while still giving you the most usable light. I'm also using a DDM 35w 4300k kit with TRS lenses and shield mods and I highly recommend doing this if you're adding HIDs... makes a huge difference. I can't find any of my lighting pictures, but the results are basically what mr_mazda posted.

As far as melting things goes you won't have to worry about that with the 35w at the very least. The stock H7 lamps are actually 55w, so really you shouldn't have any issues with a 55w kit either. The real big decider between the two is how/where you drive. If you drive in a city a lot then you don't need 55w lamps. If you're more outside of lighted areas or driving back roads a lot then they might be more to your liking.

Back