Controlling Arm

DeadGeneration

Contributor
:
'04 RX8
Has anyone had to replace the bushing in the front controlling arms of the suspension before? I put in new shocks and springs and started hearing a "creaking" noise when I turned the wheel driving slow or not moving at all. I did alot of research and i've diagnosed the problem as being the front controlling arm bushings being worn out. I've researched into replacing them and i've decided to take the car to get looked at while they are doing the alignment tomorrow morning. They can see for sure if thats the issue and i'll find out what it costs for them to replace it. I've read about replacing them and they are simple but require a special tool otherwise you have to use a small arsenal of tools and primative methods to destroy/get the bushing out and put the new one in. Not really worth it unless they want to charge me alot to replace it while its already up on the lift.

that is very true if you didn't put the bearing on right that could cause that to i had a friend do one of my sides on my mx3 i had to take that side back apart to put it right that fixed it

Intresting, that would be the small suspension piece that attatches to the front strut and it only like a 14mm bolt and a pretty thin bar right? not sure how that could go on wrong

i had to compress the spring to so i could take the top off but that was what mine was when i replaced my struts and springs

The front control arm bushings are solid rubber so it is pretty hard for them to just go bad. There isn't any way for them to crack and flex like rubber motor mounts. I'm thinking it is the small plastic bearing between the upper spring perch and the strut top that is causing your problem.

If it does turn out to be the control arm bushing the only tool you need to replace them is a good hydraulic press.

yep, good call on the plastic bushing on the perch, its one of the possibilities I considered. I'll keep you all updated soon.

I took it to a mechanic who check it out and they didn't like the coilovers, it was too unconventional for them. They said nothing was wrong with the steering parts though. I am going to take the fronts apart and reassemble them but I kinda doubt it will yield anything. Do it yourself ftw, i'm gunna solve this s***.

xelderx said:
The front control arm bushings are solid rubber so it is pretty hard for them to just go bad. There isn't any way for them to crack and flex like rubber motor mounts. I'm thinking it is the small plastic bearing between the upper spring perch and the strut top that is causing your problem.

If it does turn out to be the control arm bushing the only tool you need to replace them is a good hydraulic press.

you mean the thin-ass clear plastic sheet? that's a "bushing"??? yikes.

I pulled the front assembly apart and found completely obliterated plastic bearings. I called the company Ground Control and asked them "wtf?" they said its either an install or alignment issue. I called mazda, picked up a new bearing and ordered another for tomorrow morning. I installed the new bearing on the left and its fixed the problem. I go tomorrow morning to get the other one and i'll put it on the right side. I took pics of the install incase they say I didnt install it right, because I know I did. My problem now is I dont want to move my car unless I am driving it to the alignment shop and I wont be able to do that for an entire week. Gfdi

I got back from my trip yesterday night and went this morning to the shop bright and early. They did the alignment but the squeeking is still there. I can pull it apart and lube the bearings as suggested to me by another person, but i'm not going to. Apparently I need a $300 dollar camber kit for the alignment to be right. It's just not worth it at this point, i'll likely be getting some racing beat springs to replace this mess. Fun times.

Yea...for some reason coilover sleeves on the stock struts will destroy those bearings pretty quickly. If the springrates are high or the car is too low and hitting the bump stops a lot it reduces the bearing life even further. It's not an alignment issue or an install isue. It's a ceap plastic bearing holding up the weight of the car issue.

I ordered the springs, hope they arrive soon. I also found some wheels I will be getting, a set of 5zigens. I need the new wheels because the ones I have are an offset of 42, which I can get away with on coilovers. However the racing beat springs I wont be able to adjust and they will surely rest the fender on the tires. So hopefully i'll have the new wheels and springs installed this time next week. I cant wait to get back to (drive2)

Preparing to autox this summer, not gunna do it alot cuz than I would need a different set of tires and wheels and I dont got the money for it, but I should be ready to run around the course a few times.

Back