Considering buying a Mazda2

Kyunn

Hey everyone. As the title states I'm considering purchasing a mazda 2 (coming from a vw gti). I have a used mazda 2 2012 touring on my sights however I have a few concerns. The car was a previous rental and has 30k miles on it. I also noticed a weird blue tape which I haven't seen on any others and am concerned some work was done. I also noticed a ticking sound when you start the car up. Any helpful advice would be nice!

Here's an image of what I was talking about.

http://imgur.com/UC2SWvd.jpg

Unless your GTi was really old/thrashed you're not likely going to enjoy the 2. The quality difference between the cars VW builds and the 2 is so far apart it's not even worth comparing...

The tape looks normal. I've driven VW GLI and the Mazda is actually more fun to drive and handles better. As long as you can handle having half the power you will love the 2. You might be able to find a remaining new 2012 or a 2013 model and get a good deal on it, they are usually discounted pretty good. Also, try out a 5 speed model; I've driven both and the manual seems to have much better power.

I love my 2. However, it is no hot hatch like your VW. But, it is a well made, fun to drive economical car. Good luck!

Highly appreciate the insight gentlemen! My VW GTI is an 03, needs some fixing up though which is going to be expensive. I'm mainly looking for a car that's better on gas as I drive around 80 miles a day. I really like the look of the mazda 2 and the price is really nice.

The 2 is a blast to drive, but power wise, you're losing about 80bhp over your '03. Now th car is lighter, so maybe a 30-50bhp difference when you factor weight in.

Assuming you're not looking to mod the car you might be disappointed, but even stock the 2's handling is really where it's at. It's probably (based on professional reviews and personal experience) the best handling B-spec car stock, even if it isn't the most powerful.

If you are into modding I've tweaked mine to the point now where it is every bit as much fun to drive as my RX-8 R3. (I'd sign a paper to that effect) In fact I'd say given that my stereo is far superior than my RX8 i'd probably rather get into my 2 on a daily basis... The seats aren't as good tho.... :-\

The 2 is a blast to drive, but power wise, you're losing about 80bhp over your '03. Now th car is lighter, so maybe a 30-50bhp difference when you factor weight in.

Assuming you're not looking to mod the car you might be disappointed, but even stock the 2's handling is really where it's at. It's probably (based on professional reviews and personal experience) the best handling B-spec car stock, even if it isn't the most powerful.

If you are into modding I've tweaked mine to the point now where it is every bit as much fun to drive as my RX-8 R3. (I'd sign a paper to that effect) In fact I'd say given that my stereo is far superior than my RX8 i'd probably rather get into my 2 on a daily basis... The seats aren't as good tho.... :-\

I second this. Oddly enough the 2 is more fun than my RX-7.

Back