Considering a CX-5 GT

Yep, that is what I read. Basically a "hidden gem" outside of the actual offroad community. It's why I considered it. Ultimately, I decided it would bleed me, and went for something under warranty, and that the bank would finance.

We picked up "shifty" for $500 bucks. The truck was in amazing shape and had leather seats and all the bells and whistles. Just a bad trans. We rebuilt the trans for about $500 in parts and fluids. New the truck retailed for over $32000 in 99!

We picked up "shifty" for $500 bucks. The truck was in amazing shape and had leather seats and all the bells and whistles. Just a bad trans. We rebuilt the trans for about $500 in parts and fluids. New the truck retailed for over $32000 in 99!
Nice deal!

Definitely. I tried to take mine down a drive-way, and flooded the diff on the little 10" deep creek. I was pretty butthurt, having taken CARS into water that deep before.

You didn't try this with the CX-5 did you?!!!! :D

My dad's looks like a garage queen. He still waxes it. :) It is a mid tier model with basic power options, 3.2L SOHC, AC and the power heated mirrors that are also power folding.
I'm pretty sure Trooper has best-balanced in-line 6, but Wikipedia says V6??? (uhm)

Congrats! Remember to turn on your oil life monitor and set "Flexible Maintenance" on oil change scehedule.
I have to read up on that when I get home. I set it to fixed 5000 miles. The dealer says first oil change in 5k but I probably will change it at 1000 miles. This dealership had lifetime maintenance with the deal but only two oil changes per year. I feel better changing the oil every 3 to 5k. So I will be doing it myself too.
I do believe if you use good full synthetic oil, changing oil at recommended 7,500-mile interval is perfectly fine as it's been proven with many used oil analysis. Flexible oil change interval can get you up to 12 months or 10,000 miles per oil change! I did my last oil change at 5,500-mile interval, with Maintenance Monitor showing 55% of oil life left!

Also, some car manufactures are using break-in oil as factory fill. Honda has said specifically in its owner's manual that don't change the factory oil earlier than recommended oil change interval, which is 7,500 miles.

Mazda uses Mazda moly oil as the factory fill which has very high content of molybdenum. If you plan to change oil of your new CX-5 at 1,000 miles, do use Mazda moly oil which is available online or at yore Mazda dealer. Of course those free oil changes offered by your dealer won't be using Mazda moly oil, make sure to ask for Mazda moly oil and be prepared to pay extra for it.

I'm pretty sure Trooper has best-balanced in-line 6, but Wikipedia says V6??? (uhm)

All Isuzu gas motors in NA were V6 from '92-'02 in the Trooper. Never heard of them using an inline-6.... maybe a diesel version sold outside the US?

EDIT: Although... IIRC their inline-6 diesel motors have been used in a number of things. I think even back in '80 an inline-6 Isuzu turbodiesel was used in the International H consumer products.

Last edited:
All Isuzu gas motors in NA were V6 from '92-'02 in the Trooper. Never heard of them using an inline-6.... maybe a diesel version sold outside the US?

EDIT: Although... IIRC their inline-6 diesel motors have been used in a number of things. I think even back in '80 an inline-6 Isuzu turbodiesel was used in the International H consumer products.

All the diesels sold in the US were 4 cylinders. Some turbo.

Having lots of fun with the new vehicle. I have noticed that at highway speed that the steering wheel "shimmys" for lack of a better word. But it only does it one some surfaces. Kinda the same feeling I got the during the first test drive. Will have to keep and eye on it...maybe tire balance? But I would expect it on all surfaces. The worse seemed to be newly laid asphalt. Which they don't seem to do a real good job of around these parts anymore.

Steering is really great. And the responsiveness is a treat to drive on windy roads. She sticks to the road like nobodies business.
Acceleration is very acceptable to me even coming from a turbo. Sport mode certainly helps when you want it. The dynamics of the transmission really change with it on.

Hey good luck with your new CX-5!
I have over 8,000 miles on mine and love the car! We just got back from a trip to Baxter State park in Maine where we climbed the big K (Katahdin)....great climb/hike!
We had a Thule Carrier on the top and a Thule Transporter on the hitch, both were fully loaded with gear, groceries and our bags...and 4 adults...
Great ride all the way up and back from Boston...LOVE the way this SUV handles...while we were at Katahdin we rode miles into the Park on gravel roads because it's a wilderness area....rode great, no problems/issues at all...
You made a great choice...wish more buyers in the US cared more about their ride and handling instead of buying a 4 wheeled appliance like the RAV and the CRVibrator....
Driving DOES Matter!

Awesome BMuzzy Sounds like a great trip!

You know I have almost 500 miles on the CX-5 and it's not even a week old. Get this, I have yet to use the LED headlights! I have not driven it at night yet! Ugh!

ooooh the LED lights are so cool! When I first got the car I made up reasons to drive it at night...going to the store...gotta pick up something...got to the point when my wife thought I was doing one of the neighbors!...I got the grief but none of the glory! so funny!
I still get a kick of how the adaptive LEDs turn as you go around the corner...
I have a lot of deer where I live so I had to retrofit HID's in my previous car a Kia Sorento so that i could pick up the deer's retinas at night to avoid them..
With the CX-5's OEM LEDS I am lighting them up!

ooooh the LED lights are so cool! When I first got the car I made up reasons to drive it at night...going to the store...gotta pick up something...got to the point when my wife thought I was doing one of the neighbors!

Quote of the day material right there.

Having lots of fun with the new vehicle. I have noticed that at highway speed that the steering wheel "shimmys" for lack of a better word. But it only does it one some surfaces. Kinda the same feeling I got the during the first test drive. Will have to keep and eye on it...maybe tire balance? But I would expect it on all surfaces. The worse seemed to be newly laid asphalt. Which they don't seem to do a real good job of around these parts anymore.

Probably need to get your wheels balanced. I got mine from the dealership and the tires were so horrendously balanced. 3 of them were completely out of balance. One of them was off by 3oz. which is insane. Idk if this was the dealership that did this or a place the previous owner took the car (I bought used). But I would take it back to them and make sure they do a proper balance and don't just add more weight to the wheels. My whole car would vibrate dramatically over like 60mph.

Back