Connecting Rods

:
2001 323 Astina SP20 (P5)
hey

is there any company out there yet that makes forged 7075-T6 aluminum rods for our cars yet? i dont want Pauter rods as they just simply are too heavy. i know titanium are pretty much the strongest you can get (7075 is about 3/4 the strength of titanium and about the same flexiblity), but titanium is 1.6 times heavier than 7075-T6 aluminum.

just so everyone is aware, the pauter forged rods use 4340 chrome-moly. that's just over twice as strong as 7075 aluminum, a tiny bit more flexible, but the big down side - 2.8 times the weight of 7075-T6 aluminum

later

twilightprotege said:
hey

is there any company out there yet that makes forged 7075-T6 aluminum rods for our cars yet? i dont want Pauter rods as they just simply are too heavy. i know titanium are pretty much the strongest you can get (7075 is about 3/4 the strength of titanium and about the same flexiblity), but titanium is 1.6 times heavier than 7075-T6 aluminum.

just so everyone is aware, the pauter forged rods use 4340 chrome-moly. that's just over twice as strong as 7075 aluminum, a tiny bit more flexible, but the big down side - 2.8 times the weight of 7075-T6 aluminum

later
so you have purchased the pauter rods and know the weight and stiffness of the rod?
for some who have the extra g'ss to spend for titanium or 7075 -T6 treated rods more power to them if they find someone to build them only one set.
I have pauters in my set up. The shop i work withhas also installed pauters in about 16 vipers, 30 BMW's, 18 porsche, 11 300z's, 5 hondas just in this year alone.
No problems and they have a great product.
BTW except for the hondas they all put out more than 400hp and around the same in torque. The vipers are just plain monsters and make rediculous power in upwards of 675 to the rear wheels
Dont take this post the wrong way. I would love to get a lighter assembly for both con rod and piston but unfortunatly time, availability and money play a larger role in performance upgrades for some. Maybe out there in australia someone can do it and we can get our hands on some light weight goodies :D

i havent bought pauter rods, no. i am going off the density of the material used

i have no bought the pauter rods are great, but i want lighter ones.

btw, in raw material alone, 7075-T6 is only slightly more expensive than chrome moly...but 1/4 the price of titanium

later

I myself have the Pauters in my setup as well and would be curious to accually see how the titanium rods weigh against the pauters.

Hmm, I always thought that Titanium was lighter and stronger than aluminum.

well just using material weights, titanium will be half the weight of chrome moly (pauter rods)...7075-T6 aluminum is 3/4 the weight of titanium

so just say (i thought i saw somewhere - maybe linux you can help) pauter rods weigh 650grams

titanium will be about 325grams

7075-T6 will be about 245grams

all i can say is i hope that someone makes 7075-T6 rods for our car!!!!!!

later

Ti is more heat resistant than steel and weighs a lot less but its expensive to make, I believe T6 aluminium is the top of the line stuff and although its not quite a strong as Ti, its a lot lighter. The benefit of Ti is that it allows for the strength of steel in a hi-temp condition, with the lighter benefits of aluminium. Of course, magnesium is (I think-been awhile since metallurgy) lighter than aluminium but is more succeptible to extreme temp. In its elemental form it can combust quite easily. Of course, in alloy form it doesnt and its why A LOT of Formula 1 teams build their valve covers (as does the EVO 8) and transmission cases from it. Ferrari build theirs from Ti however.

magnesium is about 1/2 the tensile strength of 7075 aluminum, and only about 60% of the weight...in a engine, i dont think magnesium would work...but like sil_pro5 says, 7075 is the top aluminum. from what i can work out, 7075-T6 would give the greatest benefit in an engine

later

Latest posts

Back