Connecting rods on a Mazda Protege5

Josie_

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
When you wanna take the pistons out to replace them, would you need to replace the connecting rod bolts or can I reuse them?

When you wanna take the pistons out to replace them, would you need to replace the connecting rod bolts or can I reuse them?

You can reuse them...

Why are you replacing the pistons???

You can reuse them...

Why are you replacing the pistons???

Well it's because I was burning oil and I thought it was from my cylinder head but once when I got it back from the machine shop, they told me that it was all good and nothing was bad so from there it has to be my piston rings. That's why I'm asking about the connecting rod bolts if I can reuse them or not. A friend of mine has been telling me to replace because he said from the time being getting torqued and the heat could expand the bolts and won't be able to reuse them.

Wow umm....maybe not. Do you know by any chance which kind of aftermarket pistons nd rings I should get?

If you are going with a forged piston you will need new rods. Forged pistons us a floating wrist pin. You can go with CP pistons or Wiseco. CP is a much higher quality piston with features that are standard that Wiseco will charge you for. Rods, go with Molnar.

Wow umm....maybe not. Do you know by any chance which kind of aftermarket pistons nd rings I should get?

No idea,... There really should be an OEM type replacement with sufficient oil drain holes, that doesn't go all out forged,... ???

(Having a proper option for a piston may mean that Mazda would be admitting to their design flaw,... it's way better for them to blame you and sell you a new car instead ???)

Last edited:
If you are going with a forged piston you will need new rods. Forged pistons us a floating wrist pin. You can go with CP pistons or Wiseco. CP is a much higher quality piston with features that are standard that Wiseco will charge you for. Rods, go with Molnar.
Oh ok and with Molnar, will I need to use Wiseco then?

Last edited:
Well it's because I was burning oil and I thought it was from my cylinder head but once when I got it back from the machine shop, they told me that it was all good and nothing was bad so from there it has to be my piston rings.

Did the shop do a compression and or a leak down test ??

Did you have no leak but your were still burning oil ??

Last edited:
Did the shop do a compression and or a leak down test ??

Did you have no leak but your were still burning oil ??

i did it myself. either way, i took my head to a machine shop to get it repair if it was damaged but hey told me that there was nothing wrong with it. eveything was just on the spec. so i had no other option but the piston rings going bad like what else could let the oil get in the chamber?

What features do the CP pistons have that are not standard on the Wiseco ones? They are relatively simliar in price so I'm just wondering. By the way I'm running Wisecos so if something were to ever happen then I just want to know that I have a better option with CP.

If you aren't boosting it, there's no need to spend extra money on forged pistons and connecting rods.

so is there a non-forged to option for him that's got proper drainage ???

or does he just go OEM and use Sea Foam regularly ???

Last edited:
Back