Confused: which roll bar to get (track day and autox)

chimchim

I've been searching around reading stuff and googling. I'm confused.

NEED: roll bar rollover protection so I can autox and do track days (including SCCA and NASA events). NO head to head racing. Still daily drive it.

REQUIREMENTS:
- approved for SCCA and NASA autox and track day events
- NOT a cage
- allows full usage of seat all the way back
- allows full usage of soft top
- will accommodate a hard top in the future
- bonus: allows wind deflector
- IMPORTANT: need to please the wife... so keep the aesthetics in check as much as possible (while still doing the job)

WHAT I FOUND:
- Two names: Hard Dog and Boss Frog seem to be the trusted ones, approved, and readily available.
- will be a 4 connection

QUESTIONS:
- difference between bolt in and welded? (I'm willing to install myself if it's a bolt in. I've installed sway bars, susp springs, struts, bolt in bracing, brakes pads/rotors/fluid, and intakes on other cars before)
- are double hoops safe? are they as stiff as a single hoop?
- difference between Hard Dog and Boss Frog?
- should this be installed professionally?
- Which model Hard Dog or Boss Frog?

1) bolt in is fine. Both manufacturer's bars bolt in with an added plate on the other side of the unibody.
2) I'd stay away from double hoops roll bars in a track car. The single hoops are higher, and offer more protection. You should pad the bars to keep the head bonking safe.
3) Hard dog is trusted and proven. boss Frog has only been around for a few years. The BF has a different rear plate, which they claim is better.. I was originally going to get a BF, but there was an ordering mixup and wasn't going to get it in time, so I got a HDHCDD bar
4) it's just bolts in, so a proffesional install has no advantage over a DIY person, but you'd probably need help if you're unsure about it. The only hard part is drilling the rear mounting holes because space is so tight. I got 1 hole drilled from the top, then went under, mounted the plate and used it as a guide to do the other 2.
5) both will require modifications to the wind deflecter to fit it.
6) asthetics: black goes with everything ;)

If you're going to do it, you might as well do it with the best protection in mind. But neither of the biggest, best bars claim to fit with a HT. I have a HDHCDD in my '91, and the hardtop just barely rubs.

Kirk Racing. Great product, great guy to deal with :)

www.kirkracing.com

I actually had him do the install for me, and the end result is absolutely excellent.

EDIT: For the price of a hard core bar shipped, I had mine installed.
EDIT#2: I don't think the boss frog double hoops are SCCA legal (for road courses, it's not AS big a deal for autocross).

Last edited:
i had the hdhcddm2 in my '94 - it five hours to install, but at least it was free (did it at a chesapeake roadsters club tech day). it was a good bar and i would certainly recommend hard dog fabrication products.

as an aside, be aware that many clubs and track organizations do not allow convertibles to participate in their events without race seats and properly mounted harnesses as well as a rollbar. in fact, some clubs (audi, for instance) do not permit convertibles at their events at all.

Kirk Racing. Great product, great guy to deal with :)

www.kirkracing.com

I actually had him do the install for me, and the end result is absolutely excellent.

EDIT: For the price of a hard core bar shipped, I had mine installed.
EDIT#2: I don't think the boss frog double hoops are SCCA legal (for road courses, it's not AS big a deal for autocross).

Agreed....I purchased mine from KR also & suggested to Muff to get his there also (glad you're happy with it) same day service was a plus!!
I HIGHLY recommend him.

Agreed....I purchased mine from KR also & suggested to Muff to get his there also (glad you're happy with it) same day INSTALLATION service was a plus!!
I HIGHLY recommend him.

Corrected. He's usually got about 5 or so weeks of work, so get in line ;)

Both the Boss Frog and Hard Dog are good in there seperate ways. I have a Boss Frog Single Loop and my friend has a Hard Dog Hard Core. The concept is the same on the 2, but here are some distinct differences...
(1) The quality of the workmanship on the Boss Frog is better, the welds are smoother and better done and the application of the powder coat was flawless.
(2) The mounting of the Hard Dog was better, it goes further down behind the seat and further back to the rear of the car (toward the trunk). To me this spreads the load over a greater area in the event of a roll-over.
(3) Installation of the Hard Dog was easier and didn't require cutting of the seat belt guides, Boss Frog doesn't require it but the belts work better if you do.
(4) Seatbelts don't really work as well as stock on either, but the Hard Dog works better.

In summary, I love my Boss Frog, but it could have been easier to install, and require less cutting... Looks, they both look great. No matter which you choose, you will be happy..

Back